Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording a Combi: More than one track?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Recording a Combi: More than one track? Reply with quote

I have a question about the sequencer.

If I am recording a combi, does each program require a separate track, such that if my combi is comprised of four programs, recording will consume four tracks? I am hoping that this is not the case.

As a follow up question, if I record using Karma, does each of the four parts require it's own track? I think this would be okay, actually, because I might like to edit or process each part separately.

Thank you Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording a Combi: More than one track? Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
If I am recording a combi, does each program require a separate track, such that if my combi is comprised of four programs, recording will consume four tracks?

That is generally the way that Korg's sequencers and workstations work. I can kinda understand why it may be a little inconvenient but I'm also pretty sure Korg wouldn't have changed it.
Its a bit like the effects situation too with workstations. A 'song' and a 'combi' are in effect on the same level. So you can copy all the workings of a combi into a song (KARMA, effects routings, programs, mixer settings, etc) but that song still consists of those elements just like a combi does.
Primarily a combi is a bunch of programs spread out across keys/channels/effects
A song is a bunch of programs spread out across MIDI channels.
It can potentially get messier than that, but yes you will need the four tracks for the four programs making up your combi.
On KRONOS of course you could always later record them off to an audio track. And I think if KARMA isn't involved then the actual MIDI notes are only actually recorded to the first track so you could always keep that one track if you want to do it again.

Quote:
As a follow up question, if I record using Karma, does each of the four parts require it's own track? I think this would be okay, actually, because I might like to edit or process each part separately.

Following on from what I was writing above, when you record KARMA the note data will be recorded separately onto the individual program tracks, yes.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply. I was hoping that it would not require separate tracks, but at the same time, was wondering how they could possibly pull that off. You bring up a good point about being able to bounce down to an audio track. I think that will be very useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: