Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sustain pedal use to control Rotary Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Sustain pedal use to control Rotary Speed Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the sustain pedal can be used to control rotary speed within the CX3. Is there a way to do this so that the CX3 doesn't sustain?
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expression pedal?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to minimize the number of pedals needed. If I have a sustain pedal attached for piano sounds, I'd like to be able to use it temporarily for things like controlling the rotary speed. I don't need the sustain pedal when playing organ parts so why not use it for something useful.

Busch.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And moving the Joystick Up is not an option ?
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, moving the joystick is an option but you have to take one hand off the keys and that might not be what you want to happen, musically speaking.

For example, VB3, EVB3 and B4II all have options for using the sustain pedal and they do not cause the organ to sustain. The B3 clone in Garageband for iPad defaults to the sustain pedal, not the mod wheel. It's not uncommon.

Busch.
bwinbery

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe just about every other clone can do this (except VK8 module) so I'm sure it will be a function. I personally always use the sustain for leslie to limit number of pedals as well (do this with my nord stage and kurz pc3). It would not affect both sustain and leslie at the same time.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By reading the manual, you can choose any AMS modulation source to turn on/off the rotary speaker, the fast/slow mode etc. Damper is one of the modulation source.

See page 238 of Kronos Parameter Guide for more details
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but then the CX3 will sustain. There are three pedal inputs, it's most common to use the Switch pedal input to do this.... It doesn't need to be a complete damper pedal there, you can use a simpler, flat On/Off pedal like the PS-1 to do this. I do that, and often Program the switch to also turn on/off effects for other sounds, where I DO want sustain control.

Jerry
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an expression pedal to control Leslie speed but I've found I'm really only turning it on and off the hard way. Instead, on the Kronos I'm going to use the pedal switch to engage it on/off if I can figure out how to have that same pedal switch also control portamento (Korg REALLY needs some work on their pedal switch assignments).

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale:

You can do that - I just tried it. Set the Switch to Portamento (CC#65) and then set the Rotary speed AMS to use that. the CX3 doesn't support portamento in its engine so there's no conflicts.

Easy.

Jerry
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
McHale:

You can do that - I just tried it. Set the Switch to Portamento (CC#65) and then set the Rotary speed AMS to use that. the CX3 doesn't support portamento in its engine so there's no conflicts.

Easy.

Jerry

I don't know WHY I never tried that. AWESOME.

Time to reprogram all my patches!

As always, thanks Jerry.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a bit McHale, this work on an OASYS or KRONOS because the organs are using the CX3 engine. On a TRITON or M3 since they all use the PCM synthesis it won't work this way.

Jerry
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Wait a bit McHale, this work on an OASYS or KRONOS because the organs are using the CX3 engine. On a TRITON or M3 since they all use the PCM synthesis it won't work this way.

Jerry

Sad

Kinda what I thought...

I always wondered why you couldn't set the Pedal Switch to act as a "Pedal Switch" and set THAT to control portamento instead of having to set the Pedal Switch to Portamento through global settings.

On a related note though, is there a way to actually *USE* Portamento with the CX3 engine? Kinda like using the break, but sliding into a chord. I know a real organ doesn't work that way but...
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

Jerry

Except surely if portamento time in the patch is set to zero then the Porta. Sw functionality will have no effect on that patch, right?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In past Korg workstations (not O or CX3) I've always used the Footswitch and set rotary fast/slow to "FS" or some such AMS. No need to do the portamento thing.

I also do not like using the stick or another hand controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: