Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has KORG FORUMS influenced your decision in buying.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has access to KORG Forums now, and knowing you will have future access helped you make your decision on the KRONOS.
Yes it has, and I'm buying one.
48%
 48%  [ 36 ]
Yes it has, and I'm not buying one.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, the forums play no part in my decision to proceed with buying one..
42%
 42%  [ 32 ]
No, the forums play no part in my decision NOT to proceed with buying one..
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 75

ozy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm...

can't vote, my position is missing from the choices:

"I have not yet made my mind about the purchase, and the forum contributed to the uncertainty".

Even if the main uncertainty comes from the rigid format of the machine itself [I'd immediately buy a rack. I am thinking hard WHICH keyboard I should remove from the rig in order to make room fior the kronos: the vl-1? uhm... the prophet? uhm... the pc3 uhm... if only the kronos was semiweighted and had full master capabilities...]

Maybe the T3.

But I can't vote here
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was conviced once I realized what MOD-7 was all about. Oasys never grabbed my attention because of it's price. MOD-7 does all I need. If there was a synth based on the MOD-7 only, it would cover my needs. I guess there will be a Kronos for me, unless the Norwegian prices are too high, or a MOD-7 based synth is announced. No Pre-Orders available here yet. The forum is helpfull, thanks to Rich and Dan.

If the price is high, I might not buy Kronos. Amercian prices looks good though.
panrixx

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
I'd already decided to buy one, but this forum is an important resource of
information and help me to understand and discover more about Kronos

Yes, that describes my situation exactly.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting results so far.
I’d be interested in hearing comments from those who say the forums play no part in their decision to proceed with buying one, or not buying one.

Like… what are you using the forum for if that's the case. What motivates you to even read about the Kronos here if it plays no part in you buying or not buying?

Regards
Sharp.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quite interesting results so far.
I’d be interested in hearing comments from those who say the forums play no part in their decision to proceed with buying one, or not buying one.

Like… what are you using the forum for if that's the case. What motivates you to even read about the Kronos here if it plays no part in you buying or not buying?

Regards
Sharp.

I base my buy/no-buy decisions on features and a company's track record. Korg has been around a long time and I have owned dozens of their products. I have not always been 100% happy with my Korg stuff, but I like how they continue to innovate where others appear to stagnate. Yes, the Kronos reuses a lot of Oasys technology, but the Oasys (and its hefty pricetag) was necessary to get Korg to the point where they could offer something like a Kronos at a decent price. I have been waiting for a lot of years for a keyboard that incorporates the typical ROMpler stuff, sampling, Hammond emulation and a VA engine with lots of flexibly routable effects and seamless sound transitions. The Kronos has all of that, hence my interest in the keyboard.

I generally use forums to ask questions if I'm trying to accomplish something and I'm stuck. I like to read about things that others have discovered or are having trouble with. I also really appreciate it when somebody from Korg (Dan or Rich) is here answering questions. I own a Motif XS6 and visit the Motifator forums because Phil (bad mister) is there handing out a lot of very useful information...same with a couple of the Kurzweil forums.

You've got to admit that there isn't a whole lot of useful information in the Kronos forum here. What I do see is a lot of pointless rambling and speculation about what Kronos is or isn't sprinkled with some bitter criticism of Korg for having a typo in the manual or the choice of CPU (among a lot of other things). I can't speak for others, but I find that stuff a huge turnoff and am coming here less and less as a result.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
If there was a synth based on the MOD-7 only, it would cover my needs.

You should check in to the Korg DS-8. You can pick them up pretty cheap...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ds8.php
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
robinkle wrote:
If there was a synth based on the MOD-7 only, it would cover my needs.

You should check in to the Korg DS-8. You can pick them up pretty cheap...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ds8.php

It doesn't cover my needs. MOD-7 does. if you compare them, you will see why. Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
It doesn't cover my needs. MOD-7 does. if you compare them, you will see why. Smile

Oh no, believe me... I see the difference. Part of the reason the Kronos appeals to me is it appears to be the greatest FM synth ever made. I just figured if you end up NOT getting a Kronos, picking up a DS-8 for $100 US could be a fun alternative. It's pretty powerful and I see them pretty cheap fairly regularly.

If you can, get the Kronos, NO question...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Oh no, believe me... I see the difference. Part of the reason the Kronos appeals to me is it appears to be the greatest FM synth ever made. I just figured if you end up NOT getting a Kronos, picking up a DS-8 for $100 US could be a fun alternative. It's pretty powerful and I see them pretty cheap fairly regularly.

thanks for the advice, I appreciate that. Smile I sold a Yamaha DX7II FD (grey matter E!) to get Kronos. It's the only modern FM hardware synth I can think of. Smile
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this forum has helped in making the Kronos buying decision.

When I was looking into buying the Motif XS, one of the things that impressed me the most was Motifator.com. A lot of forum traffic, lots of power users that were willing to help, 2-3 factory reps weighing in on a regular basis, and a full fledged store for Motif related soundsets/products.

Motifator.com not only heavily influenced my buying decision, it gave me a lot of confidence that the product was professional and had a lot of support.

Unfortunately, the XS was not for me- hated the UI, and was uninspired by the sounds. Even the M3 easily trumps the XS for musicality- but the M3 forum is not exactly inspiring. I guess the M3 never had the numbers, and at least for the last year and a half that i've been visiting it, there's not that many power users and Korg reps hardly ever show up.

Based on what I've seen so far for the Kronos forum, I'm guessing this one'll be very active and enthusiastic- this is obviously an important board for Dan (even though this apparently is not his job description like it is for Bad Mister), and there's already lots of interest/activity from high end users that contribute a lot.

I do wish there was a store attached to this forum. Not only to have a place to distribute sounds/etc., but because it would attract more traffic overall and contribute to making Korg Forums: Kronos even more vibrant.

There has been some negativity in the Kronos section, but I see that on almost all forums, and Sharp is willing to police it- it was kind of ridiculous on Motifator- there were folks like foleycore that defined a troll, including a lot of harsh, denigrating language, and from what I saw they did nothing to ban these idiots / destroyers-of-the-commons. One thing I think could help would be for people to use their real name for their signature- being anonymous for some people is just an invitation to be abusive.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Korg Forums to be sponsored by Korg USA, perhaps in a joint venture like Yamaha and Twiddlybits have for Motifator: not only servers, but help in establishing a store front, and some compensation for all the work that Sharp and company puts into this forum.

Kronos is going to be huge- nows the time to take this forum to the next level!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

thanks for the advice, I appreciate that. Smile I sold a Yamaha DX7II FD (grey matter E!) to get Kronos. It's the only modern FM hardware synth I can think of. Smile

Ironically, I've just bought a DX7s Laughing

(when you have to scratch that itch, you gotta do it) My "FM" now comprises of SY77, FM7 & FM8, DX7s, and Kronos (when it turns up)....

TBH, I bought it more for the keyboard action - toying with using it as top tier with my Kronos.... don't know yet.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I sold a Yamaha DX7II FD (grey matter E!) to get Kronos. It's the only modern FM hardware synth I can think of. Smile

Ahhhhh... than you're a pro at FM synthesis. I fondly remember when the DX7II FD came out. Had I been able to afford it at the time, I'd probably be a Yamaha guy today. I loved that thing... I've been debating picking one up the past couple of years and MOD-7 cures that desire once and for all. I haven't seen one used around here with the Grey Matter upgrade else I'd probably have one now!

Oh yah, you NEED Kronos. NO question. Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
I do wish there was a store attached to this forum. Not only to have a place to distribute sounds/etc., but because it would attract more traffic overall and contribute to making Korg Forums: Kronos even more vibrant.

That's a pretty good idea, actually. There'd be a lot of planning to have regional distribution channels but I think Korg could help out there.

The first thing should be those awesome cases that Korg Japan is advertising!

-Mc
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago, when I purchased my M3, the Korg Forums were a deciding factor.

The free interchange of ideas, active user participation, and especially contributions by outstanding authorities like Stephen Kay, Rich and Sharp gave me confidence that a strong, established support community was in place, and my purchase would give me years use and enjoyment.

The same holds true for my M50 purchase, and my K-88 pre-order.

This forum rocks!
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
McHale wrote:
robinkle wrote:

I'm in a similar boat. I just sold my DX7 (original version) with E! to help fund my K-88! MOD-7 made the decision a no-brainer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: