Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hustle & Flow 01: Sharing a waveform among multiple samp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Hustle & Flow 01: Sharing a waveform among multiple samp Reply with quote

Hustle & Flow 01: Sharing a single waveform among multiple samples

Description:
The Kronos can share a single waveform among multiple samples. This allows you to create different loops using the same sound data without wasting internal memory. For example, Operations Guide p. 122, suppose you [Sample record] a waveform of a voice saying “Oh-My-Gosh.” This creates waveform “X.” You can share this waveform with three (or more) samples. “Sample A” can playback “Oh-My-Gosh,” “Sample B” can playback “Oh-My,” and “Sample C” can playback “My-Gosh.”

As noted, the manual indicates you won’t waste internal memory. What I have discovered is that you won’t use any additional sample time even if you create more samples. However, each sample does count against the maximum number of samples allowed to be used in memory which is 4,000.

Practical applications:
Samplist (Sampling Producers), Beatmakers, etc., often create multisample programs composed of sliced regions of audio phrases. They play and rearrange the order of these slices to create new grooves. Kronos’ Time Slice is one method to accomplish this but does so “destructively” by actually slicing the audio into multiple regions. A “nondestructive’ method of slicing involves using the same waveform data among multiple samples but with different playback addresses as described in the preceding paragraph. This can give you more creative freedom and flexibility as one sample can playback portions of sound contained in other samples mapped out across a keyboard. This is not possible using the aforementioned Time Slice.

Sharing a waveform with multiple samples (user should have a basic understanding of sampling audio into Kronos):
1. Select P3: Multisample Edit page, and create a mono “New MS___000” multisample
2. Use Default settings of “Multisample Set-up”:
    a. Index: 001
    b. Sample: ---No Assign---
    c. Orig Key and Top Key: C2
    d. Level and Pitch: +00
    e. Constant Pitch: OFF

3. Use default settings of “Create Zone Preferences”:
    a. Position: Right
    b. Zone Range: 1
    c. Orig Key Position: Bottom

4. Press [Sampling Rec] followed by [Start/Stop] to record waveform “New Sample___000" approx 1 minute in length (6 MB)
5. “New Sample___000” will be assigned to Index 001 with playback on C2
6. Press [Create] to create Index 002. Set Mult-sample Setup as follows:
    a. Index: 002
    b. Sample: “New Sample___000”
    c. Orig Key and Top Key: C#2
    d. Level and Pitch: +00
    e. Constant Pitch: ON

7. Press [Copy] to store these settings in memory buffer
8. Press [Insert] 6 times which creates ”New Sample___001,” “New Sample___002,” etc
9. Up to this point, you have assigned copies of the waveform within “New Sample___000” to C2-G2 and pads 1-8
10. Enter P2: Loop Edit
11. Holding down [ENTER] and pressing a Key selects the index assigned to corresponding Key
12. While holding down [ENTER], press Key C#2 and modify Start/Loop Start and End using data wheel, value slider, or number keys
*Note – Set Start/Loop Start to same setting
13. Repeat above step for Keys D2-G2

You now have multiple samples playing different parts of the same waveform without using any additional memory. This multisample I created is 6 MB in size. Creating and deleting ”New Sample___001,” “New Sample___002,” etc., in these steps doesn’t decrease or increase memory

Vocabulary:
1. Waveform – shape and form of a signal (audio)
    a. Recorded or loaded sound data without playback parameters
    b. Types: Triangle, Saw (tooth), Square, Sine, *Guitar

2. Sample – data that is recorded or loaded into internal memory consisting of a waveform and parameters how to play the waveforms (Start, Start Loop, and End Address)
    a. Memory can hold a maximum of 4,000 samples
    b. Multiple samples can share a single waveform

3. Multisample – a program that lays out one or more samples across a keyboard
    a. Index – A container within a multisample that holds a sample and includes parameters for key range, original pitch, tuning, level, etc
    b. Multisamples supports up to 128 indexes
    c. Memory can hold a maximum of 1,000 multisamples

Kronos OS 1.0.3 limitations:
1. In P1: Sampling Edit, pressing a key will play back a sample. Pressing [START/STOP] button plays that samples Edit Range. When trying to edit, it is annoying to keep pressing a button several times in order to hear the editing points. It''s like I am constantly hitting [START], [STOP], [START], [STOP]. I rarely listen to the entire sample when editing which is auditioned using a key. Pressing/releasing a key is much easier than pressing a button several times. Thus I conclude that it would speed up workflow if pressing the key plays the Edit Range. An example of this is demonstrated in P2: Loop Edit where you can audition editing by modifying the "Start" address while pressing a key multiple times. Then pressing [START/STOP] can be used to play the length of the sample which I mentioned I don't use much. This will also extend the life of the [START/STOP] button. I know there is a sofware [START/STOP] button but hopefully you get the gist of it.

2. The graphic waveform editor lacks a playback head or cursor to indicate what part of the sample is actually being played. This defeats the purpose of graphically editing audio. This should be implemented in both Sample Edit and Loop Edit. Every software editor and DAW editor have this small function which does wonders for editing. Roland keyboards and MPCs running JJ OS has this function.

3. P2: Loop Edit, there is no way to easily listen to the range between Loop Start and End. The only way to do this is to set the Start and Loop Start addresses to the same point. This takes longer than it has to. The OS could be changed so that when Start address = or > current Loop Start address, it would automatically link these addresses. When Start address is < Loop Start address, it has no effect on the Loop Start. This would speed up editing. An alternative would be some thing similar to the "Loop Lock" function which links Loop Start and End. "S/LS Lock" function could be added as an option to link Start and Loop Start.

4. Holding down [ENTER] and pressing a key allows you to select indexes which is great. But when doing quick editing among multiple indexes, holding down a button slows workflow. What I believe would be an easy addition would be to add a [ENTER] software button that you can turn on/off. When it is on, just pressing different keys will select indexes.

These are what I believe to be minor tweaks that would make users of the onboard editor very happy. While working with the Kronos and writing this, I started to imagine what if the Kronos touch screen was like an iPad where I could use my fingers to size and resize objects, modify sample start and end points

Last edited by jahrome on Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- impressive overview of this subject! A bit advanced for me as I don't have a Kronos (!) and do little work on the sample level, but it's good to know, esp. as this would invite sampling longer phrases, knowing that they can be reused in various ways.

So- I guess there's no mini-review of the sounds coming from you as the first official Kronos owner? The floodgates will soon be opened, but for now...

Randy
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done, jahrome. I think many people will find this useful.

Thanks.
amosdef

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This will definitely simplify my programs that rely on a lot of short sample hits. Definitely less clutter on the SSD and less saving/naming of sample files
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome. Thanks!

I wonder if you can do these type of edits in a computer (Indexes etc..) and then import to Kronos? Either way, that's still really cool.
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and taking time to read this.

I am pretty much into sampling, sample editing, and sequencing. Some people prefer sample editing on a PC/Mac. From their experience, they can do these chores faster. But for me, I like doing it with a dedicated control surface like Kronos. If a software sample editor was released with a completely integrated, dedicated control surface, (without having to use a mouse or keyboard), I would probably go that route too. But with that said, I find the editing on Kronos as good or better than any hardware unit I have ever used. Kronos (according to manual) will have an external editor. I just hope that its better than editors I have used in the past (Fantom G editor...needs much improvement IMHO).

While my initial and lasting impression is a nice sound set as good or better than any workstation I have used, I can only give you a novice review of three words...."it sounds awesome." There are several demo's online but they unfortunately don't cover many sounds.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Jherome.... Thanks for the detailed review of this new feature..... I have wished for it for a long time.... It's interesting that this major improvement wasn't higlighted in any of Korg's demonstrations...

Although I am not sure how it is done. It seems that KRONOS still creates copies of samples, for different start and loop points.... Can anyone from confirm that the copies of sample made in this fashion do not take extra memory?
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
hey Jherome.... Thanks for the detailed review of this new feature..... I have wished for it for a long time.... It's interesting that this major improvement wasn't higlighted in any of Korg's demonstrations...

Although I am not sure how it is done. It seems that KRONOS still creates copies of samples, for different start and loop points.... Can anyone from confirm that the copies of sample made in this fashion do not take extra memory?

The method I wrote about above, creates copies. These copies use additional sample slots in memory. But they donot use the available RAM. I started with 148 MB of RAM. The sample I created was 6 MB in size leaving 142 MB for sampling. When I made 6 copies using the method above, I still had 142 MB of RAM for sampling. This isn't a new feature. All Korg's sampling workstations perform this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: