Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Midi Files... GM Section
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: General Midi Files... GM Section Reply with quote

Is their anyway in hell to remove the stupid General Midi files section (GM) that is on every keyboard that nobody ever uses?? What a waste of space and annoying to work around...... What about moving it out of the way or something??
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
This has been a wish of many since KORG started to embed them on the Triton Series.

Back then people wanted KORG do simply do what the did with the Trinity series. You got a PCG file with the GM sounds on it, and you loaded it only if you wanted them.

Regards
Sharp
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharp, Thats ridiculous.. I wonder if somehow you could copy all the combis and programs onto the SSD or a flash drive. Then edit and remove the GM files and reload it back on the Kronos leaving additional user file area. Got to be a way to get rid of those files.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Korg can't allow the GM banks to be disabled in the global menus like they allow the option to do this with the Extra demo engines in the Oasys...

its good that they support GM but it would be best supported as an Option in that its there if you ever need it like an extra sound source,otherwise its switched off globally,or like the Trinity loadable,

I can't see why in this day and age of Workstations with H/Drives that the GM section is not supported as a file location thats optional,rather than bolted onto the OS so that if you wish to load GM/XG/GS Midi file sequences into the song mode then have a dialogue box like "Do you wish to switch on the GM sounds too" command so that you can playback the file correctly.they allow the switching of the default banks either Korg or GM,so why not allow it to be disabled/enabled also.

I don't know what it is,but when youve a synth full of Rich tones and engines,having those Plastic GM sounds in there somehow seems wrong.Its good for loading in midi files,but to me Midi files always sound cheap and cheerful using the stock sounds(probably because I spent so many years programming Pro Midi files that I kind of got sick of hearing GM/GS/XG sounds.

I just think the bank and program locations that the GM sounds take up could be used for storing your own sounds,rather than a whole bunch of GM stuff you don't need, to me its a waste of valuable bank space,when I never use the GM sounds per se.

IIRC wasn't there a Software program for the Triton which allowed you to overwrite the GM banks(TritonFun??)someone correct me here??
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, then users who play MIDI files will complain... 'It's annoying to load GM bank before playing the MIDI file'....

GM saves you a lots of time! Specially the GM Drums kit map.....
Mystic38

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"nobody" is a wild exaggeration........ and i have told you a million times not to exaggerate Smile
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: General Midi Files... GM Section Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
[...] the stupid General Midi files section (GM) that is on every keyboard [...]

There's no preset GM bank on the Yamaha EX5

Shakil wrote:
Yes, then users who play MIDI files will complain... 'It's annoying to load GM bank before playing the MIDI file'....

Those who play MIDI files shall not buy a synth; those shall buy a Sound Canvas
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ya think about it tho... generally the people that use GM banks don't create their own sequences, because if they do they know NOT to use the GM banks because the programs in those banks are simple, basic, and have to conform to the GM standard. The people who would buy and use a Kronos are skilled and create a song using Korg presets or their own programs. Putting a GM bank on a pro-level workstation is sort of pointless.

Occasionally i find a use for the GM bank, but it's only in the rare case i have to download a MIDI sequence, and i ususally replace the GM banks with korg presets after i figure out what all the tracks are. now, if Korg REALLY wanted to impress in this area, they wouldn't put a GM bank in the unit at all, and create some sort of utility that automatically sets up a GM sequence with Korg preset programs whenever it reads the "GM reset" SysEx message.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
generally the people that use GM banks don't create their own sequences
Just like people who own GM cars can't drive? Wink
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the GM Programs are used in the factory Combis. It's true that most of the GM Programs are on the simple side, but sometimes that's what's called for.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
panrixx

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
Gargamel314 wrote:
generally the people that use GM banks don't create their own sequences
Just like people who own GM cars can't drive? Wink
Excuse me!!!

Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
A number of the GM Programs are used in the factory Combis. It's true that most of the GM Programs are on the simple side, but sometimes that's what's called for.

Does that mean that there's no absolute distinction for GM programs in the Kronos? That they're NOT pathetically small sample sizes with a correspondingly thin/cheezy sound quality, but are of the same quality (sample size and programming) as any other sound, they just happen to conform to GM specs?

Randy

PS On the M3 anyway, it is frustrating to have to wade through all the GM sounds when looking in categories, being that they seem to be of lower quality and I never use them
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference is the program structure. These are programs that use one velocity layer, and pretty simple envelopes. This allows them to be a little more versatile to suite any GM sequence, because they react to MIDI events just like the GM programs of any other GM synth, so the sequence sounds pretty much like it was intended. But they do use regular ROM multisamples.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

So if you get rid of the GM then the combis will not be or play correct???
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
The only difference is the program structure. These are programs that use one velocity layer, and pretty simple envelopes. This allows them to be a little more versatile to suite any GM sequence, because they react to MIDI events just like the GM programs of any other GM synth, so the sequence sounds pretty much like it was intended. But they do use regular ROM multisamples.

Hmmm.... but I wonder what difference having only 1 velocity layer would make in playing back a GM program? The velocity layers just add expressiveness for the same sound.

I know Yamaha came up with their own standard, XG, to have a more developed spec than GM.

At the very least, that's on my wishlist: within a category search, maybe have a touchbox that gives you the option to include GM in your search or not.

Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: