Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Module
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming you were in the market for a Kronos, would you consider a Kronos module?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 30 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 28 ]
It depends on the price
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
It depends on what features are included, and which are left out.
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 72

Muji

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos Module Reply with quote

Has there been any talk of a Kronos Module? Rumors? Facts?

I'd love to see one offered.

Korg Microkorg
StudioLogic VMK-176+ Keyboard Controller
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16

Last edited by Muji on Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Module Reply with quote

Muji wrote:
Has there been any talk of a Kronos Module? Rumors? Facts?
yes, yes and yes.

(talks?) search the forum
(rumors?) Korg will not offer one
(facts?) Ozy would want one, but Korg will not offer one in the near future
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Muji

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Module Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:

(talks?) search the forum
(rumors?) Korg will not offer one
(facts?) Ozy would want one, but Korg will not offer one in the near future

In my initial search for "Kronos Module", no obvious discussion of it emerged, but when I included "Ozy" in my search, that helped. I would think there'd be a demand for it. Maybe if the poll #s rack up, Korg would take notice.

...wishful thinking.

Korg Microkorg
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
DocAtlas

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saving for a Kronos 61, simply because it's the smallest of the 3 models, and I don't really need any more keys. A module version would suit my needs even better. I wouldn't care if it had any additional features, as long as it had all of the functions of the keyboard version.

When Korg first brought out the (digital) CX-3, the review I read said that Korg had no plans to make a two-manual version, but they later brought out the BX-3. I suppose something similar could happen with a Kronos module. I figure it's going to take about a year or so for me to save the money for the Kronos; if they bring out a module in that time, I'll buy it, if not, I'll get the 61-key version.
Korg BX3; Korg Triton (classic) w/MOSS, Studio Essentials & Vintage Archives; Korg N5EX; Korg O3RW; Kurzweil K2600s; Kurzweil 1000GX;Hammond C3 & Leslie 145; Farfisa Fast 3; Sequential Pro-One; Moog Liberation; Emu Proteus 3; Emu Planet Earth w/Vintage Expansion; Roland JV-880; Yamaha Motif Rack; Yamaha DX21; Yamaha TX216; Yamaha TX81Z; Yamaha TG77.
dranandj

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be an iKronos one day? lol
ozy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) if a Kronos rack existed, I'd have ordered it on the day one since it was announced

It lacks performace keyboard features I need, but the sounds are fine.

2) Unfortunately, I have discussed this with the Italian importer, and even asked to Dam@korg et alii from the Korg entourage,

and it is a no-no.

They say "expanders are dead" and have been for some time. That the rack format is dead. That computers killed it. That only computers and stage pianos will survive.

I disagree. 10 out of 14 synths in my studio or rig are racks or adapted to rack.

I think that expanders will be back (ask Moog. What's more un-racky, more un-midi than live analogue lead synth? And still, look at the slim phatty).

But, considering that steering the "Admiral Korgo" carrier takes years,

I don't thin we'll see a Kronos expander any time soon.

Just in case you ask:

yes, I'd immediately buy a sequencer-less, karma-less, HD recording-less rack kronos, with just some "live keyboard" better features.

In short: a synthesizer+controller, not a workstation/arranger/studio or whatever.

Make that 2000 euros, I write the check now.
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a Kronos module without keys...but not in a rack:
1. Desk top unit, 16 drum pads, no keys, adjustable touch screen LCD
2. Kronos sound engine
3. 128 GB SSD/4 GB Ram
4. Internal DVD-R/CD-RW drive
5. 64 MIDI tracks (64 MIDI channels)/16 audio tracks
6. 2x MIDI IN/4 MIDI OUT
7. 8x2 analog outputs, 8 channel ADAT I/O
8. USB for external drives, Audio/MIDI, file exchange, mouse support
9. Control surface: 8x sliders, 8x 360 degree knobs
10. Weighted data wheel/cursor key combo

Last edited by jahrome on Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... um... How about that Korg Komponent system?

Laughing

Had they released a Komponent compatible module, I'd have jumped on it and simply sold my M3 module.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

OASYS RACK.....

Regards
Sharp.
Muji

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:

Just in case you ask:

yes, I'd immediately buy a sequencer-less, karma-less, HD recording-less rack kronos, with just some "live keyboard" better features.

In short: a synthesizer+controller, not a workstation/arranger/studio or whatever.

Ooooh! Cool I like the sound of that. 9 synth engines in one module. No other nonsense.

I also believe in the longevity of the hardware module concept. It's simplicity is very compelling to me, as a budget-conscious hobbyist with limited space and an aversion to soft synths.

Rack or table-top makes little difference to me. Removable rack-ears ala Slim Phatty would allow for both.

Korg Microkorg
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late. I've already ordered the keyboard version.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question - not because I have any interest in buying a module/rack-mount version, but because it makes me feel better about pre-ordering the Kronos 61. In a way, the 61 is the "module" version of the Kronos. I have been watching so many here talk about pre-ordering the 88, and have been thinking I may have made a mistake going for the 61. But the truth is, I already have a weighted 88-key digital piano, and my Kronos 61 will sit on the second tier perfectly. I also saved $800 by ordering the 61. Really, I would not be interested in a module version, because I think that the control surfaces and the touch screen are very important parts of the Kronos package. And I do love the portability of the 61. So I am happy Smile
Muji

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Really, I would not be interested in a module version, because I think that the control surfaces and the touch screen are very important parts of the Kronos package.

Korg has already shown it is possible to make a nice fully-functioning workstation module. The M3 M module has all the sliders, buttons, etc. plus touch screen of it's larger counterparts, AND includes the sequencer and sampler features (which Yamaha and Roland's workstation modules don't).

They could take it one of two ways... fully functional or stripped down. I see benefits both ways. That could be a separate poll. Smile

Korg Microkorg
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
JimH

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you could have a rack version given the big touch screen. Maybe a big table top version.

MidnightPackage wrote:
This is an interesting question - not because I have any interest in buying a module/rack-mount version, but because it makes me feel better about pre-ordering the Kronos 61. In a way, the 61 is the "module" version of the Kronos. I have been watching so many here talk about pre-ordering the 88, and have been thinking I may have made a mistake going for the 61. But the truth is, I already have a weighted 88-key digital piano, and my Kronos 61 will sit on the second tier perfectly. I also saved $800 by ordering the 61. Really, I would not be interested in a module version, because I think that the control surfaces and the touch screen are very important parts of the Kronos package. And I do love the portability of the 61. So I am happy Smile

I starting out intending to get the 88 but now plan on the 61 for similar reasons as you. The 88 is good if it's not stacked, but if you're going to stack two keyboards I don't think having the Kronos on the bottom is going to work so well. It's better as a 61 on top. You want to have easy access to the screen and controls. Also, a shorter keyboard brings the left-hand performance controls a little closer. I'm looking forward to the ribbon and vector joystick since I've never owned a keyboard with those. I feel like I would want to interact with the Kronos too much for it to be in a rack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: