Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Sound Font Files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Loading Sound Font Files Reply with quote

Today, I purchased some Sound Font files for the Kronos from: http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/

I bought the Emu Mo Phatt library. I use to own that module over 7 years ago. So I was excited about seeing how these sounds would translate to Kronos. To my disappointment, the library quickly eat up Kronos' maximum allowable Ram MS indexes before half of the 85 MB library was loaded. I still have almost 1 GB of sample memory available. Crying or Very sad
dtray187

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is terrible Jahrome, there has to be a fix for this?
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you expect?
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that really sucks! Sorry to hear that worked out that way.

Aren't there like 4,000 indexes available? How many get taken up by the EXis? I wonder if it's a hardware limitation?

I'm curious so see how my akai libraries load...

I'm still excited about the Kronos, though I get the feeling at the end of the day no one's turning it into a monster sampler without LOTS of compromises. You can't have everything I suppose...
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose not to load Korg's soundset. This gives you 1 GB which you can store 1000 multisamples, 4000 samples, 4000 indexes. This is its current limitation.

I didn't expect 85 MB library to max out Kronos. While there is still plenty of RAM, I can't load any more multisamples because I reached the 4000 index limit. I emailed Korg and Digital Sound Factory detailing my findings.

I am on the look for additional Sound Font files to test them as well. By the way, the Akai files I have are working well.
dtray187

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahrome, are you impressed with the sound of the kronos? Does it live up to the hype, in the piano, synth, and string departments?
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtray187 wrote:
Jahrome, are you impressed with the sound of the kronos? Does it live up to the hype, in the piano, synth, and string departments?

I think it does...I mentioned in another thread...you will most likely be hearing all these presets abused in commercially released music.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
You can choose not to load Korg's soundset. This gives you 1 GB which you can store 1000 multisamples, 4000 samples, 4000 indexes. This is its current limitation.

I didn't expect 85 MB library to max out Kronos. While there is still plenty of RAM, I can't load any more multisamples because I reached the 4000 index limit. I emailed Korg and Digital Sound Factory detailing my findings.

I am on the look for additional Sound Font files to test them as well. By the way, the Akai files I have are working well.

surely a lot of drum kits in your soundfont soundsets, no ? = one sample= one note = one index
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 128 index per multisample limit. Maybe you ran into that rather than the 4000 total index limit.

Busch.
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
jahrome wrote:

surely a lot of drum kits in your soundfont soundsets, no ? = one sample= one note = one index

There are drum kits and a lot of different sounds. Yes, and the drum kits will quickly eat up the indexes. In addition to that, the files don't load as intended. For some programs, Kronos will split it into 2 or more when loadiing..each with just a few samples each.

Basically, I am just trying to determine if their is a problem with Sound Font conversion or if there is a problem with the actual files. I may have to find Sound Font Editing software so I can create smaller files that will load properly.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahrome,

if you look for soundfont editing, this might help:
http://www.soundfaction.com/alive/index.htm

There were plenty of free soundfonts out there, and still should be some.
Perhaps you start with smaller packages, to get an impression what works and what causes trouble?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:

Note that the 1000 MSamples/4000 Samples/4000 Indexes are the max available for user samples. The factory sounds do not use these at all.

jahrome wrote:

I've had similar experiences with my 128MB Emu e6400, loading sliced-beat libraries such as Liquid Grooves: the max number of samples was reached long before the max amount of memory.

I understand that it would be nice to be able to load a larger number of samples, however.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... that's still lot better than 128 multisamples and 2000 samples (shared with audio phrases) limit in Fantom-G....

Jherome... one thing to note is that for stereo samples.. KRONOS would use two multisamples (L and R).... so may be you should load only mono samples for the instruments that you don't really need stereo.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Without seeing the file, to me this sounds like a conversion process. KORG's own Load PCG and RAM option can eat up a lot of unnecessary memory by reloading the same samples more than once just if another program access the same samples.

So when dealing with SF2 which is not a KORG format by default, I doubt they have that format working better than their own.

This is one of the reasons why I wrote the KSC Gen program for OASYS ASSAULT. It's the only program in existence that can optimise a library so that the same sample is never loaded twice even if used in other programs.

Regards
Sharp.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

Without seeing the file, to me this sounds like a conversion process. KORG's own Load PCG and RAM option can eat up a lot of unnecessary memory by reloading the same samples more than once just if another program access the same samples.

I know that you understand this, but just to be clear to newcomers: this can happen if you load programs one by one, successively - but it doesn't happen if you load them all in a single step.

In re the Sound Font conversion in question: the product apparently has 512 separate multisamples, so with 8 samples per multisample, that would exceed the number of available slots.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: