Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clean-up sale, Kronos in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Clean-up sale, Kronos in? Reply with quote

I could sell my M3-88, EXB-Radias, Motif Rack with two plugin boards (AN, DR), Novation A-Station, RME Multiface, lots of cables ...
... to fund a Kronos 88.
Would I miss anything? What should I keep and why?
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump it all. The Kronos will handle all of that...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to keep all your gear. Think what a powerful system you will have by adding the Kronos.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the M3 w/ EXB-radias is completely redundant. The Novation is easily beaten by AL-1 and the Motif rack while being a slightly different pallet pales in comparison sonically.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you hold off selling your current set up until you have tried Kronos out and have studied its features to be sure it can accommodate your requirements.

Kronos is magnificent, but it's not perfect and you don't know it.

Also, Kronos will NOT provide the MMT / Formant synthesis in the Radias card - that's a totally different, very formidable technology that is squarely not possible on Kronos.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the M3M with the Radias board and sell the keybed.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Keep the M3M with the Radias board and sell the keybed.

Out of curiosity, why keep the M3M w/ EXB-Radias?
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would possibly keep the RME and Motif module, if you have some sounds on the Motif you really like. It's going to have a few waveforms a non-Yamaha won't. I'd also suggest getting a Radias synth or module at some point, because as Kevin says, it's going to be a little different from the VA synths on the Kronos. As a synth freak, I'm always after more sound resources. Wink
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep stuff, as carefully selected, it can add to your sound palette. Whilst the Kronos can do all of the things you've got, there will be little nuances in the timbre that only your original machine will fulfil.

imhom if you're going to get shot of anything (a) wait, adn (b) make it the M3 - it's too close a sound to the Kronos (in terms of signature)

All imho, of course
Cool

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many voices do you need? What are you doing with your boards? Do you have any particular love for any of these pieces (not only the sound, but the interface and whole musical experience)?

Judging from the photo of your keyboard stand, it looks like you're setup for 1 keybed plus modules, so I guess you'd have to sell the M3 keybed at the very least.

[/quote]
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That M3 is a clean looking keyboard. I really wanted one until I heard about the Kronos.
gjvti

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have hard to understand these help calls for selling/buying particular gear. I personally try to focus on what functions I need and then evaluate gear to achieve best compromise. If you are interested in acoustic instruments samples Motif is probably what you would like to keep. If you record and mix from various sources you need RME. M3M gives you advantage of more convenient sequencing and if you keep it you won't need to redesign your own programs/combis if you have them and eventually one more advantage I wanted to ask to someone who knows Kronos - would this work:

Kronos with local control off -> M3M sequencer for live keyboard input sequencing from Kronos -> Kronos midi in to trigger Karma from M3M sequencer and in sync with Kronos audiotracks?

If that is possible keeping M3M+radias could be justified if you are interested recording your live playing.

I would be glad if you could fund your Kronos selling lots of cables Wink
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your views and recommendations.

Quote:
I always have hard to understand these help calls for selling/buying particular gear. I personally try to focus on what functions I need and then evaluate gear to achieve best compromise
Be assured I do have my own opinion, but sometimes I just overlook a detail that could be important, and therefore I very much value your responses.

I'm still not decided, but if I will buy a Kronos then I tend to selling everything, maybe except the RME. The RME features a very accurate Spectral Analyser and Goniometer which I would otherwise miss.

Quote:
I would be glad if you could fund your Kronos selling lots of cables
Laughing I would be glad, too, but that's definitely not gonna happen.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones

Last edited by orpheus2006 on Fri May 27, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean-up sale, Kronos in? Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
I could sell my M3-88, EXB-Radias, Motif Rack with two plugin boards (AN, DR), Novation A-Station, RME Multiface, lots of cables ...
... to fund a Kronos 88.
Would I miss anything? What should I keep and why?

I doubt it. I turned over my XS motif, EXB Radias, M3M, Extreme, Rd700GX1.

An easy call.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean-up sale, Kronos in? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I turned over my XS motif, EXB Radias, M3M, Extreme, Rd700GX1.

An easy call.
Thanks, this helps a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: