Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about the SV1/Kronos keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Question about the SV1/Kronos keyboard Reply with quote

I have preordered a 73-key Kronos (because I seem to always need that extra octave). I played with the SV1 in a store the other day and found the weighted action required significantly more pressure than I prefer (I tried a Roland and found that more to my liking) I was just wondering, for SV1 people out there, is there a "burn-in" period for the SV1 where it becomes easier to press the keys after awhile?
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid the weight and the feel of the keybd won't change after a break-in period.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
I'm afraid the weight and the feel of the keybd won't change after a break-in period.

Dang it. I will have to go play the SV1 again. If it still bugs me a lot, I may have to sacrifice the octave.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the SV1 and Kronos 73 key keybeds are weighted (piano) actions identical to the 88-key versions.

Many other 76/73 key products have synth actions, identical to manufacturer's 61 key versions.

The Roland Fantom G7, for example has a synth action (identical to the Fantom G6).
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Roland are you comparing to? The G7 has synth keys, but the G8 and the RD pianos have weighted keys that are quite heavier than those on the SV1
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been used to semi weighted keys for many years now,I then got myself an SV-1 earlier this year(Well it was partly for me to play live because its more portable and my son to practice on mostly as he has just started learning to play Piano)

I have played on full weighted keys but it was a long time ago,I didn't feel like there was a burn in period for the SV,although I will admit that I did have my reservations in I thought I might find it difficult playing it again after being so used to semi weighted action..

Now I kind of hate the feel of the semi weighted action if I play a piano patch It somehow doesn't feel the same,its fine for synth patches and faster solo parts but I'm glad I got the SV-1 as it helped my playing technique again and I realised how sloppy I had become after initially learning on full weighted beds many moons ago my hands now feel a lot stronger since getting the SV.

So if thats what you feel is a burn in period,the weight doesn't get any lighter its just your hands adjust to it so it feels less difficult or the need to play harder to the point you don't really think about it like that

I have never owned a Workstation with a Hammer grade bed on as I've always had the 61 or 76 Key models(for gigging practicalities) so not sure how it would be,as the workstation kind of has all sorts of patches that require different playing techniques dependant on your style of music.

the SV has some organs on that I have used but prefer to play from a semi weighted bed due to the licks and glissando techniques I use,so unless your used to Hammer action type playing not sure if using an RH3 bed is going to feel so natural except for using the Piano model,but then again you will adjust to it.

I have seen posts from others who want the RH3 bed in their Kronos who are going to purchase or use a second controllor keyboard which is semi weighted or synth action to take care of that disposition.

I have had 2 Roland weighted beds about 12 years ago so not sure How things have changed since then and didn't compare models when buying the SV1 so have no comparison to say if this or that was a better feel.

I'm more than happy with the SV-1 infact I use it now as a master keyboard controllor too when I'm not utilising the Sounds onboard,the RH3 action is more than superb IMO,although I don't like using it for drumming input(although thats because I normally bang in the drums using MPC pads anyway)
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV1 has a great action. Part of me wishes I had bought the weighted version, but if I need to, I will just MIDI one of my weighted actions to the Kronos. Weighted hammer action is so great to use live, but such a pain to carry!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV1 has a great action. Part of me wishes I had bought the weighted version, but if I need to, I will just MIDI one of my weighted actions to the Kronos. Weighted hammer action is so great to use live, but such a pain to carry!
Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a burn in period for weighted keys. Korg's weighted action is lighter than Roland's or Yamaha's.
OboKeyDrum

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something I also noticed. Does anybody know if you can adjust the weight as you can for example with some Yamaha digital pianos?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OboKeyDrum wrote:
That is something I also noticed. Does anybody know if you can adjust the weight as you can for example with some Yamaha digital pianos?

I aim to find out...

Someone said in the OASYS thread that the "feel" may be entirely by the weights glued to the bottom of each key. If that's the case, you can remove the weights and have synth/semi-weighted action. I kinda think there's more to it than that but I really have no idea if simply removing the weights will give you that much faster action.

I will figure out if it's possible or not. I've always wanted an 88 key semi-weighted keyboard and what better keyboard than the Kronos! Smile I've been trying to find out someone from Korg who would know for sure but have been unsuccessful.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
OboKeyDrum

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am interested in making it heavier because the RH3 felt to soft for my piano feel liking fingers. Very Happy

Adding additional weights by hand could be Sisyphus work, but maybe there is just an option to be selected in the OS.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing your result!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OboKeyDrum wrote:

I don't believe you can adjust the weight of any digital pianos.

Many, including Korg keyboards, allow you to adjust the velocity sensitivity, meaning you can adjust the velocity of the data being transmitted. The actual feel of the keyboard does not change.

Which Yamaha digital piano are you referring to?
OboKeyDrum

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the Yamaha website I cannot find such a function though I am sure that I have seen such it on a portable digital piano like 5 years ago. There were buttons labeled "soft", "medium" and "hard". As I remember, it also made a difference in the feeling, but maybe I am wrong and this was just for the selection of the sample set.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Question about the SV1/Kronos keyboard Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:
I have preordered a 73-key Kronos (because I seem to always need that extra octave). I played with the SV1 in a store the other day...

Just a note: the RH3s in Kronos or SV1 are slightly different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: