Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

61 Synth Action, 73 Weighted Suggestions/Opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: 61 Synth Action, 73 Weighted Suggestions/Opinions Reply with quote

I have pre-ordered the 61, but in waiting for the Kronos to come in, I have been thinking if I should go for the 73.

You see, I don't play keys all that well, I'm not what you would call a player, but have fun regardless. I can put together a good track with vocals, been doing it for ages.
That's pretty much why I hang with Korg and of course Karma, which can help anyone sound half decent and at the same time bring creative ideas to the table. ( Smile ) I won't be playing out or moving the board once it lands in my studio.

My question is even though it's obvious that a synth action plays a little easier I was wondering if having the extra octave, and not being a piano player would still benefit me in this scenario?
All comment appreciated, thanks.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I *am* a pro-keyboard player..... but I'm not going for a 73 or 88. I've already got a Roland A80 & Yamaha KX88 for weighted feel. Don't really want another one for my studio, nor do I relish the thought of lugging it for my live work!! Laughing

However, there advantages, primarily the extra notes Embarassed
but also the feel you get from playing a weighted keybed.

It might not be something you need for your music, but it might be worth considering.
I also personally don't like playing fast synth riffs on weighted keys - but this is a personal preference, and of course you may not be doing that type of thing.

Hope this helps Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

However, there advantages, primarily the extra notes Embarassed
but also the feel you get from playing a weighted keybed.

I also personally don't like playing fast synth riffs on weighted keys - but this is a personal preference, and of course you may not be doing that type of thing.

Hope this helps Cool

Thanks Scooby, the extra octave is a plus, I don't see me playing fast riffs any time soon.. as to the feel of weighted?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel was a the wrong term - thinking more so of "expression"......
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra keys is a big plus.. If you create and use multi part setups you have extra range of keys for splits.
If you play piano at all the extra expression from the weighted keys is a big plus, not to mention many songs require the extra keys at the bass end.
If you are practicing and learning keys, then you will get stronger quicker by practicing on weighted keys.
My suggestion would be the 73 keys then add if you wat, a nice action controller such as a novation 49 if you want the speed of synth leads and you are not fast enough with weighted keys
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic38 wrote:
The extra keys is a big plus.. If you create and use multi part setups you have extra range of keys for splits.
If you play piano at all the extra expression from the weighted keys is a big plus, not to mention many songs require the extra keys at the bass end.
If you are practicing and learning keys, then you will get stronger quicker by practicing on weighted keys.
My suggestion would be the 73 keys then add if you wat, a nice action controller such as a novation 49 if you want the speed of synth leads and you are not fast enough with weighted keys

Good feedback Mystic38, thanks. You pretty much landed on what I have been thinking about.
I won't be playing fast riffs any time soon, and was wondering about finger fatigue. I will only be writing to DAW, not looking to put on a show, it's me alone here.

Last edited by Lou on Sat May 28, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
as to the feel of weighted?

That' a difficult question to answer. The feel of a keybd is something very personal, there is no universal truth...

I would say the main advantage of a weighted (piano action type) keybd is that it allows you to have a better control over dynamics.

If you're not (yet) a player, it'll be easier to begin on semi-weighted keybd because it doesn't require a specific strength in the fingers that you can only acquire by training on a weighted keybd regularly.

But once you're used to play on a weighted keybd, it will give you a pleasant sensation of control over expression that a semi-weighted keybd won't give you.

On the other side, a semi-weighted (synth action type) keybd is better suited for playing things like synth leads.

Given what you have said about your experience of keybds and about your needs, I would advice you to go for a good quality 76 keys semi weighted keybd; unfortunately there's no 76 semi weighted Kronos Sad

Hope this helps...

Last edited by EXer on Sat May 28, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Lou wrote:
as to the feel of weighted?

That' a difficult question to answer. The feel of a keybd is something very personal, there no universal truth...

I would say the main advantage of a weighted keybd is that it allows you to have a better control of dynamics.

If you're not (yet) a player, it'll be easier to begin on a light or semi weighted keybd because it doesn't require a specific strength in the fingers that you can only acquire by training on a weighted keybd.

But once you're used to play on a weighted keybd, it will give you a pleasant sensation of control over expression that a semi-weighted keybd won't give you.

On the other side, a semi-weighted keybd is better suited for playing things like synth leads.

Given what you have said about your experience of keybds and about your needs, I would advice you to go for a good quality 76 keys semi weighted keybd; unfortunately there's no 76 semi weighted Kronos Sad

Hope this helps...

Thanks EXer, even though I'm not a player, I have been playing for years, by ear.
I have only had synth action here in the studio, but have played weighted at the stores and didn't really mind the feel. Kind of liked it..
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are most of you guys going for the 73 and not the 88?
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro wrote:

For me personally and my setup, would be overkill..
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro wrote:

See post #2 Cool
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I work up the money, I'll certainly be going for 73. 61 I find is just not enough and with all the parts in combi mode it'll help having an extra octave. It's hard because I love synth riffs. But it's easier to get a heavy weighted Kronos and a lighter controller than vice versa.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I agree with those that have recommended the 73. Expressive control of piano dynamics is much better with a fully weighted keybed. And the extra octave will be nice when using splits. You can always take one of your synth-action keyboards and put it on the tier above your Kronos so that you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I am doing something similar, except that I already have an 88 key weighted piano. I will be putting my Kronos 61 on the upper tier. Like you, during the wait for my Kronos I have tossed back and forth about which model to get. But I think in your case, not already having a fully weighted keyboard, the choice is a bit easier. I don't think you will be disappointed, and it will help your piano playing a lot.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Lou, I agree with those that have recommended the 73. Expressive control of piano dynamics is much better with a fully weighted keybed. And the extra octave will be nice when using splits. You can always take one of your synth-action keyboards and put it on the tier above your Kronos so that you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I am doing something similar, except that I already have an 88 key weighted piano. I will be putting my Kronos 61 on the upper tier. Like you, during the wait for my Kronos I have tossed back and forth about which model to get. But I think in your case, not already having a fully weighted keyboard, the choice is a bit easier. I don't think you will be disappointed, and it will help your piano playing a lot.

Synthesizedclapping wrote:
Once I work up the money, I'll certainly be going for 73. 61 I find is just not enough and with all the parts in combi mode it'll help having an extra octave. It's hard because I love synth riffs. But it's easier to get a heavy weighted Kronos and a lighter controller than vice versa.

Thanks Midnight/Synthesizedclapping, I like your comment on this too.
One thing though, I'm trying to consolidate my studio. There were times like many of you, I sat here with 2,3,4 boards.
I'm trying to move away from that and do all from one surface and plugs if I need. So a small controller on the side is very nice but like I said, I'm trying for just the Kronos.

With that said, would the 73 still be a good option? ..
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, for me, if I were trying to consolidate and use a single keyboard, I would get the 88. This is because piano playing is the heart of what I do, and for that I need 88 hammer weighted keys. I think in your case, wanting just a single keyboard, there is another reason to consider the 73 or the 88. The extra octave will make splits and combi playing much better. However, if this will be your one and only keyboard, I highly recommend spending some time at a weighted keyboard and see how it feels for you. It does take more strength, and some things are more difficult, such as fast leads and organ playing. I would just hate to see you disappointed or frustrated with the action once you get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: