Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Relay Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackdogmusic

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Wireless Relay Question Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using wireless relays like you would use to make your guitar wireless.

I just picked up a Line 6 G30 for my violin for a show this weekend. I have three instruments (Violin, Trumpet, Accordion) that would like to have wireless.

I am wondering what the best way about doing this is. Do I need to buy 3 seperate relay units or is there a rack unit on could buy that will receive signals from all three instruments?

Thanks

Past Gear: Roland RD-700GXF, Korg M3 61, Yamaha CP-33, Motion Sound KT-80 Keyboard Amplifier
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Dog,

I think you should investigate whether you can use the same mic (i.e., a lavalier type clip on) on all three instruments. Three wireless receivers may be more than you want to deal with, what with RF interference, battery life and other wireless players/vocals.

Lav's typically go to a belt pack rather than something mounted directly on the instrument (guitar would normally go on the strap next to the output jack with a short jump to the transmit pack) and have a longer lead on the mic. Also lavaliers are more vocal range friendly - pretty much ideal for acoustic strings and winds. Switching instruments would just be a matter of unclipping and clipping on again. [I currently do this switching between tenor & alto sax.]

You'd need to experiment some to find the sweet spot to clip on to each instrument to get the best response and balanced sound over the full playing range.

Sweet spot on violin would be clip to the bridge or f-hole - pad the clip point with a piece of chamois if it's on the finish.

The lead might be long enough to get to the bell of a trumpet if you put the transmitter in a shirt pocket or on something like a sax strap, though if you wanted to have an extended stand-off you might want to have an extra long lead.

Accordion might be a problem unless there's a spot to clip to or you have a model that's got a mic/jack built in.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
blackdogmusic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input, however, the violin has a pickup installed to a 1/4" jack. When I install the internal mics in my accordion I plan on having a 1/4" plugged into the side of it.

I would use that style mic on the trumpet clipped to the bell, I think the wireless ones come with some smaller version of an XLR plug. I posted this question over on the line 6 forums and got this answer:

"As long as you only use one instrument at a time, and (implied in your question) you don't want to be moving a single transmitter connection between the instruments, then the simplest approach is to purchase two separate transmitters and sync all 3 (one at a time) to the same receiver. The "catch" is that you can only have one transmitter turn on at a time. i.e.: play #1; turn off #1 transmitter; put down #1 instrument; turn on transmitter #2; pick up instrument #2; play instrument #2 (wireless sync should be done by then!).

If you have multiple performers (i.e.: playing more than one at the same time), then you need multiplte "systems" (pairs of transmitters & receivers)."

I am thinking if I have three transmitters, the one I have currently with the 1/4" input, and one like the line 6 G50 that uses that XLR type plug, I can use the same receiver for both without isses.

Past Gear: Roland RD-700GXF, Korg M3 61, Yamaha CP-33, Motion Sound KT-80 Keyboard Amplifier
ahmedsss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: