Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Shipping Delay for Korg Kronos to US?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

The increased delay is due to the devastation in Japan. The original maker of some of the chips in the Kronos was destroyed in the earthquake. Korg is searching and setting up with another manufacturer of those chips.

Do you have a source on this? That news hasn't popped up on my radar and I'd like to read up on it.

Do you know the company name?
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Seriously September? Any "New hot keyboard" excitement for the board will be long gone by then. Might as well wait for winter NAMM and see what's announced!

That's what I'm thinking now. I won't be able to use the KRONOS for this season's outdoor festivals so there's no rush for me to get one now. Tack on the fact that Korg (according to rumor) is looking for new chip suppliers because the one they were using was destroyed. I'm QUITE reluctant on getting a keyboard with 3rd rate chips. Look at the M50-61 debacle. Don't get me wrong, I still want one, but I don't want a shoddy one. I may wait for the refresh of the Kronos (Kronos Extreme, Kronos Expanded, whatever). By then, the OS will be mature, I'll see what kind of support/upgrades it gets (or doesn't get). Hell, I may even get a 73/76 key semiweighted.

McHale, What is the M50 debacle? Are you saying that the Kronos 61 that were already shipped have 3rd rate chips in them..from a different mfgr?? Or Kronos that havent shipped yet like the 88?? Also which chips?? Atom Processor chips?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
McHale, What is the M50 debacle?

Many (but not all) M50-61's have bad caps in them causing the boards to eventually lock up. If some defective caps can render a synth useless, possible blackmarket chips can really wreak havoc on the Kronos.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bad caps affected a lot more than keyboards. I wouldn't worry about the chips...
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenJude wrote:
Perhaps--to take the long view--the delay will lead to a Kronos already enhanced upon release?

For me, a delay is not an issue. I can wait.

And I hope that Korg will take advantage of the fact that the shipping of the Kronos is delayed to improve its OS on these items:

¤ 1. bigger fonts and bigger virtual buttons on the GUI

¤ 2. support for 2 Gb RAM more

¤ 3. streaming of user samples from SSD *or* provide the user with a function to convert user multisamples into EXis
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news to wake up to Sad

Anyone know is this affecting the worldwide shipment ??? Europe ... specifically the UK ??

I thought we had turned a corner with them shipping in Japan, singapore etc .....
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this late stage, you've got more chance of seeing pigs fly than get support for font-size, memory and streaming (although I agree with you that they might be nice options - not sure about font, as I haven't seen the screen yet)

Maybe as the next OS update, possibly...... but if Korg's reputation is anything to go by Very Happy

DAn
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
sparkie wrote:
McHale, What is the M50 debacle?

Many (but not all) M50-61's have bad caps in them causing the boards to eventually lock up. If some defective caps can render a synth useless, possible blackmarket chips can really wreak havoc on the Kronos.

Bad Caps!! Wonderful?? Yeah I agree about the chips.. Japan is having a hard time now. If the 61s are arriving soon,,,then why arent they also delayed?? My concern is .... why the additional delay for... just... the 88s?? I would imagine they use the same basic internal components. For some reason they are being held back... and 61s released??
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Sweetwater web site, the 73's are held back until late summer, too.

As for the M50 - luckily I did not get a bad unit. The caps were causing some boards to freeze up randomly.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ordered a motif xf to tide me over by the time the Kronos is released I should have saved enough to get one to maybe replace my PC3.

Confused
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers pass way too quick anyway. Labor day will be here before you know it.

Proton Cool
www.kidnepro.com/kronos-sounds
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is on order from Nova. The info I just got from them:

61s in June,
73s in July,
88s in August.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Mine is on order from Nova. The info I just got from them:

61s in June,
73s in July,
88s in August.

Yay... Kronos 88 for my Birthday!!!

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenJude wrote:
My Rep at Sweetwater confirms that the delays are across the board, for all flavors. He even thinks the September first date is more generic than accurate. What puzzles him is all the trouble he is having getting enough information from Korg to even answer his clients' specific questions. Perhaps--to take the long view--the delay will lead to a Kronos already enhanced upon release?

yeah I was kinda told the same thing... about September being generic.... heard it could be as late as next June. reputable source too...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
StephenJude wrote:
My Rep at Sweetwater confirms that the delays are across the board, for all flavors. He even thinks the September first date is more generic than accurate. What puzzles him is all the trouble he is having getting enough information from Korg to even answer his clients' specific questions. Perhaps--to take the long view--the delay will lead to a Kronos already enhanced upon release?

yeah I was kinda told the same thing... about September being generic.... heard it could be as late as next June. reputable source too...

June 2012? Will Earth still be here?

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: