Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Consumption
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob314159

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Power Consumption Reply with quote

According to the Operation Guide, the Kronos consumes 60W. I didn't find anything in the manual indicating any kind of sleep mode or lower power consumption mode, so is it safe to assume there isn't any?

With the 2 minute boot time, do most people expect to turn on/off their board when needed, or are you intending to leave the power on all the time?
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never seen a keyboard with a low power mode... generally its okay to leave these things on..

FYI, if you are worried about how long its on, do not ever buy 'floor models' at music shops. They are literally left on 24/7. Dead serious

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the hardest thing you can do to a piece of electronics is to turn it on. The circuitry literally gets jolted like we would, even at a mere 5 volts or less. This is why I tend to leave things on I'm intending to use quite a bit, like my PC, and leave stereo and PS3 in sleep mode with the little red light lit. All my electronics I leave running barely adds anything to my electric bill.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my custom PC in July of last year, its still on since the day i turned it
on, my M3 is on since 2009, my Tannoy speakers are on since 2000.
The only thing i keep of is my MicroWave and Ciggs lighter.
JimH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to turn mine off to avoid wasting energy.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:

60 watts x 24 hours = 1.440 KWH x 30.6 days = 44 KWH x ~$.10 = ~$0.44 per month. Cheap insurance. Wink

My Korg PA has been turned off twice for a total of 4 minutes in 8 months.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always turn my gear off b/c i'm afraid of damaging the screen. I don't know if it's possible on the new Korgs with the touch screen, but I've had LCD computer monitors at work end up with that screen burn-in going on, looks terrible. Plus after my 01/W's backlight faded to a dim glow that can only be seen with lights out, I'd hate for something like that to happen too. I know 20-year technology isn't much to compare with, but i wouldn't want to risk it.

Also, the fact that the processor heats up enough to need a fan to cool it, why stress the system out by leaving it on? 2 minutes isn't too long to boot up... My M3 takes around 4 or 5 to load up everything plus my own samples.
rob314159

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
JimH wrote:

60 watts x 24 hours = 1.440 KWH x 30.6 days = 44 KWH x ~$.10 = ~$0.44 per month. Cheap insurance. Wink

I think that works out to $4.40/month Wink
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image persistence on a modern LCD is usually easy to fix. Turn off the display for a while so the crystals can return to their relaxed state.

I have no image persistence on my KORG LCD screen. (just checked) but it would be nice to be able to turn just the screen off. Looking at the schematic it appears to be a pretty trivial task. Just have to wait till the warranty is up. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob314159 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:
JimH wrote:

I think that works out to $4.40/month Wink

You're right - my bad. That's what happens when you try to do simple math at 3 am. Confused Still cheap insurance.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Image persistence on a modern LCD is usually easy to fix. Turn off the display for a while so the crystals can return to their relaxed state.

I have no image persistence on my KORG LCD screen. (just checked) but it would be nice to be able to turn just the screen off. Looking at the schematic it appears to be a pretty trivial task. Just have to wait till the warranty is up. Wink

Or in the least.....a Screensaver...Roland Managed it!!!
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

Or in the least.....a Screensaver...Roland Managed it!!!

Hmmm! That gives me an idea ... definitely could add a small circuit to disable the LCD based on a time out after last key pressed then re-enable the LCD with any keyboard activity. Zimple! Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

JimH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:

My Korg PA has been turned off twice for a total of 4 minutes in 8 months.

It's not about the money. It's about the mindset of wasting energy. I see people in my office routinely go home for the night or even the weekend without turning off their office light or computer. We could probably easily reduce energy needs (and accompanying pollution) by 10% if people just adjusted their thinking to stop being wasteful.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ive never seen a keyboard with a low power mode... generally its okay to leave these things on..

The Roland Gaia or Juno Stage goes into a sleep mode when left untouched for some time.
drchris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a related question is about true consumption. Does the Kronos consume 60W at rest, or only when being actively used at peak? Even though there is no "sleep mode", most electronics use less power than their rating when not being actively used.

Anyone know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: