Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Password Lock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Password Lock Reply with quote

Hey Guys! I dont know if there is a topic about this but I would love to have a password lock on my PA3X whenever i get it. A lot of things (sets) were stolen at gigs from me and other keyboard players that i know. It would be really really helpful to have a password on our new keyboard. hopefully on the next O.S.

The best way would be, as soon as you go to save or load a set on the keyboard, to have a 4 digit password or even a password code.

I know all of you guys would love it as much as I would. All of us worked too hard on our keyboards for someone else to have the same copy as your original.

Would like to hear some feedback from you guys. Thank You.........
MarcoNp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Wink
Ronnymusic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Password Lock Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:
Hey Guys! I dont know if there is a topic about this but I would love to have a password lock on my PA3X whenever i get it. A lot of things (sets) were stolen at gigs from me and other keyboard players that i know. It would be really really helpful to have a password on our new keyboard. hopefully on the next O.S.

The best way would be, as soon as you go to save or load a set on the keyboard, to have a 4 digit password or even a password code.

I know all of you guys would love it as much as I would. All of us worked too hard on our keyboards for someone else to have the same copy as your original.

I really want it too.
joche

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one also
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I still cannot figure out how the hell someone could steal anything when you are at a gig??!!!

And why on earth would they want to anyway? Do you guys have state secrets embedded on your keyboards? Secret plans for the Mars Rocket??

There are several things that come to mind, but here a few:

1. They would HAVE to know what's on the machine to start with to want to steal in the first place
2.They would need time to actually get whatever device they are using connected
3.they would then need to sort through all your folders to actually locate what they are stealing
4. what are YOU doing whilst all this is going on?

To be blunt, I think a lock of this sort is pretty useless and I think we could ask for far more practical upgrades than this.
Don Awareh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
TBH, I still cannot figure out how the hell someone could steal anything when you are at a gig??!!!

And why on earth would they want to anyway? Do you guys have state secrets embedded on your keyboards? Secret plans for the Mars Rocket??

There are several things that come to mind, but here a few:

1. They would HAVE to know what's on the machine to start with to want to steal in the first place
2.They would need time to actually get whatever device they are using connected
3.they would then need to sort through all your folders to actually locate what they are stealing
4. what are YOU doing whilst all this is going on?

To be blunt, I think a lock of this sort is pretty useless and I think we could ask for far more practical upgrades than this.

because most musician are selfish. every musician has encountered one or two musician who care all about making money even it's a 10 dollar/euro gig. i have encountered many of them, they are sad people and they do exist.
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all, when someone wants to take something from your keyboard, they are not gonna look through the folders to find what they need. Thats pretty stupid to do. All they have to do is save the whole set, and doing that takes about 2-3 minutes to do. Once they have your set on the usb, they can go through the folders once they're home.

I know there are a lot of musicians like me that spent money on sounds, drum loops, drum kits and other programs to make our set sound different. Not only that, but also time that went into making the set.

Now why should some jackass have a copy of what i have on my keyboard. Miden, maybe you have a different opinion on this topic, but dont say its blunt and something that we dont need. Just like everyone supports another korg musician on here, its for the better for all of us.

If you want to voice your opinion on a upgrade, I would back you up because i know what your asking for would be good for every other korg musician too. Just like this password lock would be great for thousands of musicians across the globe.

Thank you........
mercede1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:
Well first of all, when someone wants to take something from your keyboard, they are not gonna look through the folders to find what they need. Thats pretty stupid to do. All they have to do is save the whole set, and doing that takes about 2-3 minutes to do. Once they have your set on the usb, they can go through the folders once they're home.

I know there are a lot of musicians like me that spent money on sounds, drum loops, drum kits and other programs to make our set sound different. Not only that, but also time that went into making the set.

Now why should some jackass have a copy of what i have on my keyboard. Miden, maybe you have a different opinion on this topic, but dont say its blunt and something that we dont need. Just like everyone supports another korg musician on here, its for the better for all of us.

If you want to voice your opinion on a upgrade, I would back you up because i know what your asking for would be good for every other korg musician too. Just like this password lock would be great for thousands of musicians across the globe.

Thank you........

+1000 Smile
paul
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Password Lock Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:

I agree with you.
I prefer a password. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Many times we do setups and are not at the venue for at least 3 hrs or when we do gigs for two days the whole music are still at the venue.
Though the area is well secured but then you wonder how come some one (my friend) has the exactly same set as I have (which I programmed).

Other situations : when we have a break, friends want to "try" out my keyboard. Many a times harsh words have been exchanged and friendships have disintergrated and we become the bad people.

It should be an option for any owner.

cheers

Paul
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:

Thank you........

Takes a lot longer than two or three minutes to copy out samples!!

So what you are saying is that someone, who is planning to steal this stuff, AND owns a PA3x keyboard, AND has the available means of storage, AND knows where you are playing, AND is aware of your movements....

Man, that is a LOT of assumptions....and yet this data you will possibly freely give away (sorry - share) to other members with no complaint at all!!

No, to me this is a frivolous upgrade and ranks right up there with the MP3 vocal canceller!!

And as for blindly "backing someone up" for an upgrade...nope, not with me....I only support that which I think is sensible and needed. And I always support what I believe is best for the WIDER Korg arranger community.

This one, whilst I CAN see would suit you, and maybe one or two others, is still very low on the support scale. Sorry
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be no different than setting up passcode for cellphones,ipad, laptops, iPod and other digital devices....etc. Does everybody set up a passcode for their stuff? No, because it's totally optional. It would be a very small update that many will find it useful in my opinion. Regardless of what the circumstance is, not all musicians go thru the same kind of gigs. I've requeted this feature myself before, and for the most part (in the past) the subject got derailed by those who could never get creative with the keyboard themselves, so they had nothing to lose either way.
Like I said before, it's not always about getting ripped off or something. It could be useful for a number of things:

prevent people from loading/unloading stuff without owner's consent...
prevent people from playing with the keys when you're not around...

A passcode is not meant to prevent a thief from stealing the keyboard itself. A pass code is not meant to prevent people wanting to kick the keyboard on the stage...etc....People confused some basic facts about this often before.

Anyways, if i had this option, i would set it on my keyboard right away. It doesn't matter how and why s**t happens. I think this is very easy to figure out. If it's there, use it if you need it, and dont' use it if you don't need it!

Last edited by Sam CA on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Assyrianpianist. You put it perfect words!!!!!

Bravo +10000000000
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assyrianpianist wrote:
I've requeted this feature myself before, and for the most part (in the past) the subject got derailed by those who could never get creative with the keyboard themselves, so they had nothing to lose either way.
Like I said before, it's not always about getting ripped off or something. It could be useful for a number of things:

A passcode is not meant to prevent a thief from stealing the keyboard itself. A pass code is not meant to prevent people wanting to kick the keyboard on the stage...etc....People confused some basic facts about this often before.

Anyways, if i had this option, i would set it on my keyboard right away. It doesn't matter how and why s**t happens. I think this is very easy to figure out. If it's there, use it if you need it, and dont' use it if you don't need it!

Sam, I usually agree with you in most things but in this case, your comment "the subject got derailed by those who could never get creative with the keyboard themselves, so they had nothing to lose either way" is way off the mark.

Just because people do NOT want a password lock has NOTHING to do with how creative they are....I personally have edited every style on the keyboard to suit my preferred way of playing, I have drum samples and user drum kits, I have user pianos...etc

Please do NOT make such generalised assumptions about other users!!

This has NOT been de-railed, I merely stated I did not see a personal need for it, and that there were other way more important upgrades and additions than a lock.

What I DO agree with, and indeed this would be helpful is your second usage - "prevent people from playing with the keys when you're not around..."

This would be very useful ESPECIALLY in bars and pubs!!!

Dennis
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
Assyrianpianist wrote:
I've requeted this feature myself before, and for the most part (in the past) the subject got derailed by those who could never get creative with the keyboard themselves, so they had nothing to lose either way.

Sam, I usually agree with you in most things but in this case, your comment "the subject got derailed by those who could never get creative with the keyboard themselves, so they had nothing to lose either way" is way off the mark.

Just because people do NOT want a password lock has NOTHING to do with how creative they are....I personally have edited every style on the keyboard to suit my preferred way of playing, I have drum samples and user drum kits, I have user pianos...etc

Please do NOT make such generalised assumptions about other users!!

This has NOT been de-railed, I merely stated I did not see a personal need for it, and that there were other way more important upgrades and additions than a lock.

What I DO agree with, and indeed this would be helpful is your second usage - "prevent people from playing with the keys when you're not around..."

This would be very useful ESPECIALLY in bars and pubs!!!

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Just to make sure you knew i wasn't talking about you. I threw the word "In the past" .... Likewise, i trust your judgement and all that. So that's not an issue at all for me...
You were absent from the forum for a while as you changed keyboards, and during that time this subject was brought up a few times. A few got insulted by this feature request and tried real hard with cheap exuses to fight the request .
The problem was that they had no idea how to develop anything customized whatsoever. Basically, they would just turn on the keyboard and play which I have no problem with unless those people show up with very aggressive opinion about something not applicable to them...That was exactly what happened. I asked them if they ever produced anything with the keyboard..if they ever spent hours customizing their keyboard for gigs...If they knew anything about anything when it came to style development....The answer was no, if you just read the nature of their other questions on the forum...like , i don't know where the copy/paste is..etc In my opinion , it's just not fair to have that kind of user to have an opinion about "data protection" when they can't produce any user data... .For them is as easy as downloading the musical resources from Korgpa.com. Who wants to steal that? No one, then I agree, they dont' need a passcode!

Obviously , you're not in the same categorey at all. It's just you don't need that kind of protection at this time. That could change one day, you never know, right? You'll be surprised how some little things like this can come very handy.

miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sam, cool m8 thanks.

And yes I can agree that such a tool would be beneficial!!
Even if ONLY to stop drunken idiots who think they are Oscar Peterson, or Jamie Cullem etc!!!

And I do agree that folks who JUST play out of the box (and as you say that is all good too) should not be as aggressive in condemning a request from other users who do have a genuine need to protect data.

Truth be told, I really do not think it would take much programming effort from Korg to implement many of the small changes we all advocate. What IS missing is the intent and desire on their (Korg) part to do so!!

[It is STILL a great keyboard Korg!!! Let me make that clear here...it's just a few things COULD be improved upon, for real-world users!]

All good my friend Smile

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: