Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some more days like these - and goodbye to Korg!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the kronos OS is 90% (??) from oasys, so bugs have been killed (!!!) for 6 years already
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
It's not wise to be an early adopter. If I were to buy a Kronos, I'd buy one next year.

That would be true if it was an entirely new synth/keyboard.

But of course the K OS is exactly that of the OASYS (plus 2 engines and SSD) which is not buggy (for me anyway). So you guys getting the Kronos know that the OS user 'testing' has already been done!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's irrelevant anyway, if you don't even have the choice at all and have just made up your mind for alternatives. Laughing
twstone1983

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the hardware for the most part is brand new. Wasn't there an issue is the M50-61 where they would freeze up due to a capacitor problem? I would imagine by now that has been corrected. Also the software while yes it is from the Oasys, I am sure they had to make some modifications to make it run efficiently on the Intel Atom proc. Just some things to think about.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just import one and be done with it dude....
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense tells you no business is going to turn down money. If multiple Japanese companies are having issues, its probably something else. What about trade agreements between nations? The import, export taxes and free trade rules are different between different nations. Something to think about.
minnkorg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually irregardless of how stable the Oasys became with the final released update, anytime anything new like the Kronos comes out it is guaranteed to have bugs/issues irregardless of the fact that it is based on the O.

I have fought with a serious Logic Pro 9 flaw for a year until a new version came out and fixed it a few days ago. That is how software is. Sometimes you break things that used to work when you fix things that don't. Even Apple!

Additionally, from the sound of it, the Oasys is built like a tank compared to the Kronos. Some people already have commented on the sliders, knobs, Dial etc....that are different than the O. This obviously had to be done to bring the sell price from $8K+ to $3K+.

I was looking at selling my Motif XS and get the XF. On closer inspection, the metal work feels different along the top front edge where the keyboard meets the sheet metal (the Keybed edge furthest away from the front). So I am having thoughts.

On the Oasys, the metal work has a 45degree edge and then the metal goes vertically down and then folds inwards again adding strength. This a beautiful mechanical engineering job by the Korg designers.

The Kronos seems to have a similiar design except I can't see a very good image on the Korg website to compare to the Oasys. I just hope that to reduce weight, they did not decrease the metal thickness......

I will let the market test the Kronos before I jump on its bandwagon. Two extra engines seems to not be too convincing to dump the O yet.

Besides I think, if Korg Marketing takes the SENSE pill soon, they will offer the new engines to Oasys owners for a price once the Kronos starts shipping in full swing......maybe wishful thinking?????
iMac 24"-Logic9 Pro,Behringer X32,Roland VS2480CD,Korg Oasys88,Korg Radias, Yamaha Motif XS8, Roland Integra 7,Roland XP80,Roland VPro Session,Fender USA Strat, Gibson Les Paul USA Studio, Ovation Custom,Fender Jazzmaster Base,Roland GT6, Line6 PodXt Live. TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Marshall JVM 410H 1960CABS. Fender Princeton Chorus.
audioird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
After another long phone call with my reseller I have decided to set a personal limit to Korg's respectless and impertinent behavior towards non-US customers. While midst of June is coming, Korg Germany show themselves STILL UNCAPABLE no name either price or delivery date. I was told that MANY German customers are VERY UPSET meanwhile, and that Korg doesn't seem to grasp the consequences.

When I come back from my vacation in Southern France and I have no definitive Korg delivery mail, containing a decent price, from my reseller, I will cancel all my Kronos plans despite liking the synth very much, and order a Nord Stage 2 right on the spot.

My consideration is to support a European synth company like Clavia very counscious now. If Japanese companies (Korg is the second after Roland) show themselves as respectless and incapable of halfway decent business behavior towards Europeans, as they constantly do, they obviously don't need and don't want us European customers, or they think we would swallow any impertinent behavior without reaction. No way, guys! Razz

This way I still get an excellent instrument, even if not in the Kronos league. And I get the feeling to support a company which is worth having a European future at all.

I begin to think the Korg Kronos sounds bad.
So bad that the price will fall when EU customers begin to play with it and make some reviews.
Korg has to sell many kronos in a short time and make a lor of pre orders before everybody realise it sounds like a toy full of bells and whistles.

Clavia Nord Stage 2 is a good alternative for live performance.

Last edited by audioird on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnkorg wrote:
Besides I think, if Korg Marketing takes the SENSE pill soon, they will offer the new engines to Oasys owners for a price once the Kronos starts shipping in full swing......maybe wishful thinking?????

Can't see that happening any time soon! Wouldn't that need an OS upgrade to the O as well? The O is discontinued so don't think they're going to release extra engines for the O if it means OS work as well.
twstone1983

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42530

Typically, just because they have stopped manufacturing O's does NOT mean they have stopped supporting them all together. Atleast thats what the post in the above link suggests. Who really knows though. Korg is different form say a software developer such as MS who still supports windows Vista and makes updates for it even though Win 7 has been around a couple years now.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstone1983 wrote:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42530

Typically, just because they have stopped manufacturing O's does NOT mean they have stopped supporting them all together. Atleast thats what the post in the above link suggests. Who really knows though. Korg is different form say a software developer such as MS who still supports windows Vista and makes updates for it even though Win 7 has been around a couple years now.

Your logic is sound, I agree. But over the last few years this debate has raged. My realistic view is that Korg produced the best keyboard they've ever developed and launched in the OASYS. But! Korg is a company that has to work within commercial reality.

Whilst the last statement was made in Nov 2009 (18 months ago), there has been nothing for the O since then. Korg's focus is now on the Kronos. It is therefore not logical for Korg to suddenly start doing things for the O.

That's the way I see it anyway - if Korg wants to prove me wrong, I'll be a happy chappy!
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw musicstore.de shows kronos in its online catalogue with price on request.
have you tried to call them? usually are very kind and precise in answering...

here in italy no sign of kronos so far after some demos last months
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicstore Cologne, just like some other resellers, just doesn't have the courage not to show any Kronoi online as long as they can't even name a price. They are totally clueless if you ask them, nevertheless, just like anybody else among the big European resellers.

It was unwillingly comical when they demoed the Kronos during their big reopening days, after moving to a big new venue, and while demoing had to admit they had no idea at all when and at what price they would be able to offer the demoed device. That already caused a lot of pityful headshaking among the visitors.

Others stores are more consequent, and completely right from my view: a synth which doesn't even have a European price tag, does not deserve to appear anywhere in European online stores at all! Without price and availibility, the synth should be regarded as completely non-existent in stores in that region. and only appear in previews. Simple as that.

Just by the way: it really has a strong taste of absurd theatre nearly making me laugh, when I compare this thread and the Bananas availability thread next to it! Cool
Priceless comedy! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by jimknopf on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnkorg wrote:
Actually irregardless...

Face palm
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now to read that the first bought Kronos in Germany probably will be a US import from Nova music, while Germans can't even order, makes the Korg chaos perfect.

If someone get's a better price margin by import than by regular local buying, that's already bad enough and a serious indication that structures do not work as they should.

But if you get a Korg in Germany from the US, while in Germany you can't even order or get a price, this certainly takes the absurd to the next level!
Korg is definitely making a laughing stock of themselves.

Total Korg management failure Shocked Confused Shocked Confused Shocked Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: