Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to open ms-20ex and al-1 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtray187

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: how to open ms-20ex and al-1 ? Reply with quote

So I'm having a hard time trying to start from scratch with just the synth engines , can't you just select an ms-20ex or al-1 engine and start from scratch ?
Or do you have to go find a patch that is from there first and tweak it ?

Would be nice to just have a initialized patch [/list]
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all -

Back up your Kronos as an ALL DATA set - just for convenience so you can bring it back to new status easily (though there is a factory pgc set for this) - but - back it up!

Then - to use any synth engine with an initialised program:

- Go to any program location allowing EXi's

- Choose the "Common" tab at the bottom of the screen

- If there are two EXi's activated on this program, switch off the 2nd one (choose EXi type "off"

- For EXi 1,.choose the type of Synth engine you want fromt he drop down menu list and an initialised synth engine of the type you chose will instantiate.

- Be sure to switch off any effects from this existing program that you do not want

- Be sure to check the "Unison" feature to see if 2 or more unison voices are on, and switch that off to start with.

Any changes yo umake to this program - be sure to store it (it will wipe over the previous program at that location or you can save it to a new location).

Alternatively you can initialise an entire bank to be of type EXi from the Global page and then any new programs you create in that bank will start with clean, initialised synth engines of whatever type you choose.

It seems strange at first that there are not obvious surface control buttons to choose synth types - but you get used to it - and you do indeed have this choice only from within the program EXi you're working on from a drop down menu and to be honest you'll find it makes most sense to choose from that position in the long run. OASYS users do not even think about it (though I remember feeling exactly the same as you when I first got my OASYS).

Remember - this is a screen orientated synth so much of what you're after is screen based only.

Kevin.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember is that the banks in the Kronos can only be HD-1 or EXi. I'd recommend starting with one of the INIT banks if you want to start from scratch but you may need to change the bank type to EXi first if it's currently set to HD-1.
You have to set up the bank type in Global mode. You'll need to go to the Basic page and click the top-right menu button. Choose "Set Program User‐Bank Type" to override the built-in bank types and toggle back/forth between HD-1 and EXi.
Then, when the bank is set appropriately you're free to dive into the various EXi engines!!

Good luck and happy tweaking!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
gjvti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynkh wrote:
One thing to remember is that the banks in the Kronos can only be HD-1 or EXi. I'd recommend starting with one of the INIT banks if you want to start from scratch but you may need to change the bank type to EXi first if it's currently set to HD-1.....

One of INIT banks? As from Kronos voice list, there is only a single INIT bank on Kronos U-G, also from all stated above this means you can't have EXi and HD user programs on Kronos at the same without danger of ruining a combi... in other words it looks that you always have to switch between factory default backup and your user program backup without a chance to use factory and your user programs at the same time. Actually I do not understand why marketing materials say Kronos is a programmers dream when there physically is no room for user programs. Of course, in my all naivety I would love to hear a comment from Korg people Rich or Dan (?) how come this.
Gribs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the "U" banks are user banks, but all but the last come preloaded with patches. So you can back up the factory patches to use later and change them as you like. When the editor is released you should be able to create and manage a library of custom banks on your computer that you can switch in at various times and load when you want. You could save them on your computer, the internal SSD, or a USB stick. I haven't played with a USB stick yet, but if it works like the M3 you should be able to plug it in the Kronos and browse and load patches from disk mode.
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: