Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Review Of The Korg Kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: My Review Of The Korg Kronos Reply with quote

Here's my review of the Korg Kronos:

Korg Kronos Review | Build Quality Review | Part 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIjbzbpp9s

Korg Kronos Review | Sound Review | Part 2 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLyaiSDPMU

Korg Kronos Review | Seq Review | Part 3 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-exOB9kuZM

Very cool keyboard!

If you found this review to be helpful, please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Nice review! About the touch display, I had the same issues on iPhone where I had problems getting buttons on display to react to my touch, but I think it is something we have to get used to. Once you know the touch display, you will get the hang of it in time. At least that is what I believe. Smile

I you must be very fond of EP's. To me the MOD7 is most interesting, you didn't show much from MOD-7. Hope to hear more reviews from you, because this was good. Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like part two the best.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you cannot touch something on the screen and move it. You have to use the slider or the wheel to do so.
o2tosin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the wonderful review. It was a pleasure to watch and even better to listen to! Very Happy
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Hey. Nice review! About the touch display, I had the same issues on iPhone where I had problems getting buttons on display to react to my touch, but I think it is something we have to get used to. Once you know the touch display, you will get the hang of it in time. At least that is what I believe. Smile

Also, make sure to calibrate; see page 13 of the Quick Start Guide.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

I you must be very fond of EP's. To me the MOD7 is most interesting, you didn't show much from MOD-7. Hope to hear more reviews from you, because this was good. Smile

robinkle, thanks for taking the time watch the review. It turned out to be much longer than I was planning on. There's just so much to go over in the Kronos. I spent 3-4 hours going through this beast and I still wasn't able to go through even half of the sound pallet of Kronos.

Regarding Rhodes, I guess it was a couple of things. Rhodes plays a big part on the genre of music I play. Also, I believe there was a HUGE improvement on the Kronos Rhodes from the M3's Rhodes. I heard a couple of the MOD-7 programs and I thought they sounded very good.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Man, you cannot touch something on the screen and move it. You have to use the slider or the wheel to do so.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Were you able to change values by touching and dragging on the M3? I thought you were able to, but maybe I was mistaken.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Yes, I can imagine one could get use to it, but some of the boxes were very very small. I think someone with big fingers and no finger nails would have a very hard time unless they had a pen or something small to poke with.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:

I did a screen calibration when I was there and that did make things better.
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much, Yellowchops!

Your time in putting this together is much appreciated. Your style of play is fun as well.

Hopefully we will see more of these user-generated videos soon!
Chris
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
Thanks much, Yellowchops!

Your time in putting this together is much appreciated. Your style of play is fun as well.

Hopefully we will see more of these user-generated videos soon!
Chris

Thanks for realizing that it takes time and a lot of effort to do these videos. I probably spent about 12 hours of work. That would be playing with the Kronos (which could hardly be described as work...lol...), recording the videos, editing the videos, uploading the videos, etc.

Thanks for the compliments! It's a fun keyboard.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and Good reviews..

With regards to multi touch on the screens,none of the Korgs touchviews ever allowed multiple dragging or selecting AFAIK...

Korg left one great addition to the sliders and pans off from the Trinity touchscreen days,where by you could drag or rotate them and it would enlarge or magnify the parameter on the screen and allow to twist a panpot or drag a slider on screen...something really useful in the Trinity..don't know why they left such a detail like that off later Workstations with Touchview!??

As for trying to multi touch Volume sliders on screen to alter Values,You can use the physical Sliders on the left panel to grab Multi volumes,they have multi function parameters for Karma as well as Track volumes in combi/Seq modes/Audio Tracks and the switches also double as mute/Solo switches for track/mutes etc,its far easier to select/deselect/Alter parameters using the physical method than trying to drag multiple Icons on a screen which is far too tedious to do in realtime due to inaccurate finger positioning or the screen not registering your touch,which even if it had Multi selecting on screen would be hard to accomplish to such degree,if your trying to play with one hand at the same time.

As for the pitchstick...don't like them TBH,they look fragile,and that Vector... Rolling Eyes at least the Oasys is blue backlit and recessed, and I much prefer the Older Joysticks they used,never so much as had a peep out of mine on many of the w/s I Had,(but am aware of others having problems)but out of preference personally Think Roland make the best and most sturdy mod/Pitchbend levers..

After seeing these good non bias reviews I'm left kind of feeling that All I would envy about the Kronos over the Oasys is the Set list mode...Oasys is still relevant if even some only see it as vastly superior in build Quality only

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Interesting and Good reviews..

With regards to multi touch on the screens,none of the Korgs touchviews ever allowed multiple dragging or selecting AFAIK...

Korg left one great addition to the sliders and pans off from the Trinity touchscreen days,where by you could drag or rotate them and it would enlarge or magnify the parameter on the screen and allow to twist a panpot or drag a slider on screen...something really useful in the Trinity..don't know why they left such a detail like that off later Workstations with Touchview!??

As for trying to multi touch Volume sliders on screen to alter Values,You can use the physical Sliders on the left panel to grab Multi volumes,they have multi function parameters for Karma as well as Track volumes in combi/Seq modes/Audio Tracks and the switches also double as mute/Solo switches for track/mutes etc,its far easier to select/deselect/Alter parameters using the physical method than trying to drag multiple Icons on a screen which is far too tedious to do in realtime due to inaccurate finger positioning or the screen not registering your touch,which even if it had Multi selecting on screen would be hard to accomplish to such degree,if your trying to play with one hand at the same time.

As for the pitchstick...don't like them TBH,they look fragile,and that Vector... Rolling Eyes at least the Oasys is blue backlit and recessed, and I much prefer the Older Joysticks they used,never so much as had a peep out of mine on many of the w/s I Had,(but am aware of others having problems)but out of preference personally Think Roland make the best and most sturdy mod/Pitchbend levers..

I agree on the touchscreen. I'm a physical button guy with the exception that I think that Apple has done an excellent job on their philosophy of a touchscreen.

My TE's pitchstick hasn't broken either. I'm extra careful with my TE. I still like the way it sounds.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowchops wrote:
robinkle wrote:

robinkle, thanks for taking the time watch the review. It turned out to be much longer than I was planning on. There's just so much to go over in the Kronos. I spent 3-4 hours going through this beast and I still wasn't able to go through even half of the sound pallet of Kronos.

Regarding Rhodes, I guess it was a couple of things. Rhodes plays a big part on the genre of music I play. Also, I believe there was a HUGE improvement on the Kronos Rhodes from the M3's Rhodes. I heard a couple of the MOD-7 programs and I thought they sounded very good.

I understand. I think you never get enaugh time with a Kronos no matter how much time you have. I wonder if I ever get to explore this unit 100%.

There are alot of EP lovers out there so you didn't waste your time on it. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: