Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we get back to all the good things about the Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taurgo Production

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Can we get back to all the good things about the Kronos? Reply with quote

Besides the data wheel what are some good things about the Kronos you like.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because there's some talk about the wheel doesn't mean that there aren't heaps of awesome things to talk about. (Korg should be made aware of the wheel, if it is a problem.)

Don't you have one? Then, you have an idea how awesome it is. I say "idea" because you will find that this is a deep deep synth that will keep on giving for years.

I like how fast the processor is, compared to synths that take half an hour to load a decent amount of samples. You can load a gig in about 1 minute. Same with Sequencer mode - you can record many audio tracks, yet you can load the SNG file in seconds! Saving to HD takes longer than loading, though.

As an OASYS owner, I like the idea of how compact and portable a Kronos 61 is. Though the screen is flat, it's out of the way. You can put it on a tilt stand for a better angle.

I like the idea of recording 24 bit tracks/samples (to disk) on Kronos. The OASYS has 16 bit, but I notice that even though the quality is fantastic (especially the low noise floor!), 16 bit is not enough to capture the magnificent quality of the 32 bit FX. They sound a bit compressed, recording the old way.

The sound quality of the samples and low aliasing of the synth engines is awesome. I never heard FM sound as good as MOD-7. Someone mentioned that they could cover that aspect with a DX7. Not even close. You can run samples through it, along with Waveshapers. The LFOs can be MIDI synced, along with Step Sequencers that can make a single program a one man band. In Combination mode, it can replicate the mighty TX816 and external audio routing is pretty extensive.

If you want it to be your "do it all" synth, it can be that. I like that the VA synths come in 3 flavors and can be as simple (PolySix) or as complex (MS-20, AL-1) as you want. It's rather amazing what the PolySix can do, with just the lowpass filter and Unison modes. Quick results!

I like that the Wave Sequencing is fairly simple, but has nice modulation options. Use Aftertouch to several dozen layers, without moving a finger. It was funny that someone posted a link to a Tyros 4 demo video and pining over the fact that it had "Wave Cycling." Of course, the Kronos Wave Sequencer can do that using "Note On Advance," which triggers one step forward with every note press. Wave Sequencing has 2 AMS outputs with every single step, so Filter, Rez and other parameters can constantly change.

I like the Bus routing, which will let you route an Audio Track through a synth engine (or several). Vocode other synths or drums. Recorded Audio Tracks can be opened in the sampler for filtering through HD-1 filters.

I think it's cool that not only can you program Vector Zones, but you can automate the stick and loop it.

I think it's super cool that unlike the old Tritons and other Korgs, you can record all knob/slider movements (sys ex) and use it for level/pan/EQ (sweep the ranges and record it) mixdown and/or record any of a couple hundred synth parameters - ride the filter, crank up the Drive, bring in LFOs - all recordable.

I could go on, but that's a start.
taurgo Production

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
...doesn't mean that there aren't heaps of awesome things to talk about.

A very early Kronos post ( at this link) clearly laid out what Kronos is, but Mike your post really shows why this machine is special. Thanks, and I continue to be hunkered down waiting for my K88 (first time Korg buyer).
Gribs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first Korg keyboard rather than module, and I really like the layout of the control surface. I am familiar with it from the M3M, but not with the Korg joystick and the vector stick. I never cared much for modulating using the touch screen on the M3. A joystick feels much more natural to me. The synth action feels great.

I like the solid state drive - lots of space and lots of extra samples to load if you want that are not loaded by default.

I like the fact that there are no memory cards or VA expansion boards to buy because they are not needed.

I really really like the sound so far, but still feel like I cannot give an accurate review because I have only scratched the surface.
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, great post.. It made me aware of how little I don't know.
Where does one even begin to learn some of the things you said?
All I have been doing is bring up a patch and turn some knobs, I really would like to do some of the things in your post. Thanks!

Unfortunately, when I sold my Oasys, I also gave the guy your tips and tricks video that I purchased from you..
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a review of the CX-3 engine? How does it sound compare to a regular CX-3? To other clones? How is the leslie sim?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
How about a review of the CX-3 engine? How does it sound compare to a regular CX-3? To other clones? How is the leslie sim?

That's the engine I've spent the most time with so far. I owned the real CX-3 (V2) for 5 years...to my ears, the Kronos has captured it perfectly. It is also a bit more tweakable than the original CX-3 (the ranges of some of the parameters have been improved). The fact that the Leslie sim, chorus and vibrato are part of the engine and don't require the use of any of the 12 insert effects is a big bonus. As for the Leslie sim, I've always preferred the CX-3 to most other clones. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Just because there's some talk about the wheel doesn't mean that there aren't heaps of awesome things to talk about. (Korg should be made aware of the wheel, if it is a problem.)

Don't you have one? Then, you have an idea how awesome it is. I say "idea" because you will find that this is a deep deep synth that will keep on giving for years.

I like how fast the processor is, compared to synths that take half an hour to load a decent amount of samples. You can load a gig in about 1 minute. Same with Sequencer mode - you can record many audio tracks, yet you can load the SNG file in seconds! Saving to HD takes longer than loading, though.

As an OASYS owner, I like the idea of how compact and portable a Kronos 61 is. Though the screen is flat, it's out of the way. You can put it on a tilt stand for a better angle.

I like the idea of recording 24 bit tracks/samples (to disk) on Kronos. The OASYS has 16 bit, but I notice that even though the quality is fantastic (especially the low noise floor!), 16 bit is not enough to capture the magnificent quality of the 32 bit FX. They sound a bit compressed, recording the old way.

The sound quality of the samples and low aliasing of the synth engines is awesome. I never heard FM sound as good as MOD-7. Someone mentioned that they could cover that aspect with a DX7. Not even close. You can run samples through it, along with Waveshapers. The LFOs can be MIDI synced, along with Step Sequencers that can make a single program a one man band. In Combination mode, it can replicate the mighty TX816 and external audio routing is pretty extensive.

If you want it to be your "do it all" synth, it can be that. I like that the VA synths come in 3 flavors and can be as simple (PolySix) or as complex (MS-20, AL-1) as you want. It's rather amazing what the PolySix can do, with just the lowpass filter and Unison modes. Quick results!

I like that the Wave Sequencing is fairly simple, but has nice modulation options. Use Aftertouch to several dozen layers, without moving a finger. It was funny that someone posted a link to a Tyros 4 demo video and pining over the fact that it had "Wave Cycling." Of course, the Kronos Wave Sequencer can do that using "Note On Advance," which triggers one step forward with every note press. Wave Sequencing has 2 AMS outputs with every single step, so Filter, Rez and other parameters can constantly change.

I like the Bus routing, which will let you route an Audio Track through a synth engine (or several). Vocode other synths or drums. Recorded Audio Tracks can be opened in the sampler for filtering through HD-1 filters.

I think it's cool that not only can you program Vector Zones, but you can automate the stick and loop it.

I think it's super cool that unlike the old Tritons and other Korgs, you can record all knob/slider movements (sys ex) and use it for level/pan/EQ (sweep the ranges and record it) mixdown and/or record any of a couple hundred synth parameters - ride the filter, crank up the Drive, bring in LFOs - all recordable.

I could go on, but that's a start.

This seems incredibly complex. More than I imagined. Quite impressive. Thanks for the detailed points. You obviously know synths etc

Tuesday for my delivery and that seems an eternity away.
taurgo Production

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of space and lots of extra samples to load if you want that are not loaded by default.
Quote:

Gribs
How do you get to them sounds and how can you load them?

Gribs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the disk mode and open /FACTORY/EXs_Extras/

The extras are listed in the back of the Voice Name List (VNL) pdf document that you can download from the Korg site (might also be on DVDs - didn't look).

Thanks to "bdub" from HCC KSS for pointing these out to me. There are extra piano, orchestral, and vintage keys programs.
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribs wrote:
Use the disk mode and open /FACTORY/EXs_Extras/

The extras are listed in the back of the Voice Name List (VNL) pdf document that you can download from the Korg site (might also be on DVDs - didn't look).

Thanks to "bdub" from HCC KSS for pointing these out to me. There are extra piano, orchestral, and vintage keys programs.

Hey Gribs, glad to see you've made it over to KorgForums! Jerry Kovarsky posted today that he "just finished some more Kronos programming for an upcoming support release." Good to know! I'm bdub from KSS, by the way...
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike any chance you could explain how to set up and do the "Note On Advance" as you mention. Also does it seem to you the Karma sounds much better with better sync than what you have on the Oasys? . I sold my Oasys a while back but I notice a big difference in the Kronos Karma on just the few combis I have tried... Sound s much better from what I remember being on the Oasys.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
any chance you could explain how to set up and do the "Note On Advance" as you mention.

Go to GLOBAL and press the WAV SEQ tab.

Pick a Wave Sequence, such as SKI JAM.

Uncheck the RUN box (upper left).

Check the NOTE-ON ADVANCE box (near middle right of screen).

Now, play a note, release and play the next note - repeat. You should hear yourself stepping through the Wave Sequence. You must let up on all notes to go to the next step, otherwise, you can hold intervals, chords and any group of multiple notes, which will stay on the current step, until you release.

The Yamaha guy was doing this with different choir samples. You can put different vocal samples in each step and play similar to what he was doing - playing chord steps, where the samples changed with each press.

Quote:
Also does it seem to you the Karma sounds much better with better sync than what you have on the Oasys? . I sold my Oasys a while back but I notice a big difference in the Kronos Karma on just the few combis I have tried...

I don't know if you installed OS 1.3, when you had your OASYS, but that update introduced improved KARMA timing, especially in regard to Scene changes. I believe the KARMA versions on both boards are identical.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will try it out.. Yeah I sold my Oasys before that was released .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: