Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MusicRadar Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: MusicRadar Review Reply with quote

http://preview.tinyurl.com/63poasu

I know reviews aren't quite as exciting now that real people have started to receive their boards... but there it is anyway.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review!
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link doesn't work for me atm.
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

You have to pop through the tinyurl site to get to the review. Try the direct link here...
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthvalley wrote:
robinkle wrote:

You have to pop through the tinyurl site to get to the review. Try the direct link here...
thanks! Smile Great review! Smile
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthvalley wrote:
Try the direct link here...

Now that's what I should have done!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the review is particularly well researched!

It lists as a 'Pro' in the favour of the Kronos 'Built in sequencer [and sampler]'.

Most of the competing products has a sequencer, so hardly a reason in itself to go get a Kronos!

Would be more valuable as a review if it said how the sequencer compared to the others available, and even to the M3...
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very poor review IMO. It doesn't add anything new to what I already know about the Kronos. One could write such a review by reading specs at Korg and play a Kronos for 30 minutes.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
It lists as a 'Pro' in the favour of the Kronos 'Built in sequencer [and sampler]'.

Most of the competing products has a sequencer, so hardly a reason in itself to go get a Kronos!

I'm only aware of three current keyboards which compare to the Kronos.

1. Yamaha Motif XF - has a sequencer.

2. Lionstracs Groove - has a sequencer (I believe)

3. Roland Jupiter-80 - has not a sequencer.

By the way, this is the first review I recall where an MS-20 was on hand for comparison, so I very much appreciated this review.
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. That was my review on Music Radar so i'm here to just to answer the criticisms.

First off, this was a review for Future Music but it gets abridged and trimmed for Music Radar and its obvious the Kronos has a sequencer and sampler as it's a workstation...anyway..

Just want to chime in and say that i always research my reviews thoroughly, i spent almost 3 weeks with the Kronos before submitting my review and it was not just a case of posting specs which i think is a pretty harsh accusation.

If you read what i wrote properly you'll see it's a very balanced review showing both pros and cons, i talk about all the engines, how they sound, features and what the Kronos can do plus i compared the the Kronos to my MS20 too plus talked about all the ups and downs of the board. Also there's a lot that has been cut out of the Music Radar review which is present in the upcoming Future Music review so you'll get a lot more in depth info from the mag..

I just want to let you know that these reviews aren't done by faceless robots-we care about our work and research things thoroughly. I pride myself on this. Also these reviews aren't aimed at people that already know everything about the Kronos; they are meant to show people that don't really know about the Kronos what its all about, both good and bad. Anyway, glad some of you liked the review! The Kronos is in the main a great board and i was very sad to send it back..

All the best
Dan

PS..here's a video i made of the EP5 model..
http://www.youtube.com/user/goldphinga?feature=mhee#p/u/9/-AQQy1sKIXg
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post - I think any "issues" were aimed more at the editing of the article to chop it down for the website.

This machine (probably even more so than other machines) must take a long time to review, and I personally think that publications are struggling to fit all the pertinent information into the article space. Just look at Sound on Sound's article (9 pages!).....

Hope this makes sense - I do empathise with you, as I've written articles myself.

Dan Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

Would be more valuable as a review if it said how the sequencer compared to the others available, and even to the M3...

+1 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
goldphinga wrote:
If you read what i wrote properly you'll see it's a very balanced review showing both pros and cons, i talk about all the engines, how they sound, features and what the Kronos can do plus i compared the the Kronos to my MS20 too plus talked about all the ups and downs of the board.

The review missed a big con: it says nothing about the fact that the M3 sequencer is the old version of the Oasys and not the updated version of the M3.

So what are you saying? The Kronos has an inferior sequencer to the M3?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldphinga wrote:
EXer wrote:
goldphinga wrote:
If you read what i wrote properly you'll see it's a very balanced review showing both pros and cons, i talk about all the engines, how they sound, features and what the Kronos can do plus i compared the the Kronos to my MS20 too plus talked about all the ups and downs of the board.

The review missed a big con: it says nothing about the fact that the M3 sequencer is the old version of the Oasys and not the updated version of the M3.

If you seach the OASYS topic, then the M3 topic then you will get your answer. OASYS topic relevant because other than a couple of tweeks (eg higher resolution), the Kronos sequencer = the OASYS sequencer.

M3 had improvements implemented over the OASYS seq.

All subjective and depends entirely on how you use a workstation sequencer, but to say that a 'pro' is that the Kronos has a sequencer is similat to saying a 'pro' for the new Ferrari is that it has a steering wheel...

Not much info or research evident, if you read such a statement. You would immediately wonder - well, what's good about it? Is it better than previous? Is it not as good as previous? Anything ground breaking about it all?

As I said, your answers are all in these forums...
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
goldphinga wrote:
EXer wrote:
goldphinga wrote:

If you seach the OASYS topic, then the M3 topic then you will get your answer. OASYS topic relevant because other than a couple of tweeks (eg higher resolution), the Kronos sequencer = the OASYS sequencer.

M3 had improvements implemented over the OASYS seq.

All subjective and depends entirely on how you use a workstation sequencer, but to say that a 'pro' is that the Kronos has a sequencer is similat to saying a 'pro' for the new Ferrari is that it has a steering wheel...

Not much info or research evident, if you read such a statement. You would immediately wonder - well, what's good about it? Is it better than previous? Is it not as good as previous? Anything ground breaking about it all?

As I said, your answers are all in these forums...

If you read the Future Review which is my full review you'll see there is a whole box on the sequencer and how it's a pain in the backside to use, it should have had a mouse input and daw functionality and how the arrange window dupes you into thinking it's a daw style sequencer when in fact it isn't. -you answered your own question anyway plus as has already been said there is limited space to cover everything every person wants to read. Smile

Last edited by goldphinga on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: