Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Quality
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Build Quality Reply with quote

Starting to wonder about build quality ....

Korg have normally made there top line synths built like tanks ... but I'm starting to wonder about the Kronos ...Will it stand up to the riggors of a gigging musician? for £2600 it flippin well should, I have a feeling that Korg are very aware of both the Dial issue and the keybed issue (Rattling of case underneath)... why ... their silence on the matter !!! They only seem to post when there is something positive to say or promote, so take my post about the tutorial vids .... both Dan and RichF reply ... but neither have said anything about the quality issues ...

I was gonna have mine shipped to me when it arrives but i think i'll go in and check it out before handing over the rest of my money.
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TSUNAMI on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

TSUNAMI wrote:
I was gonna have mine shipped to me when it arrives but i think i'll go in and check it out before handing over the rest of my money.

I'm going to wait until a Korg rep drops in and tells us what's up.

Cool
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

Past experience tells me it'll be a long wait ... When they do we'll probably get a response like 'Korg are aware of the problem'

Please note RichF and Dan this is not a personal attack on what you say or don't say on here as I realise you have to tow the company line on all matters.

Synthoid wrote:
TSUNAMI wrote:

I'm going to wait until a Korg rep drops in and tells us what's up.

Cool

13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TSUNAMI on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I totally understand your feelings TSUNAMI as I am in the same position awaiting a K88. It's a lot of money but I have only committed to a returnable deposit so far.

All this talk of dodgy dials, rattling plastic parts adjacent to the keyboard and unknown quality/longevity of faders is starting to raise concern.

Rich or Dan or Korg need to give us thier take on these points, as no information from them will leave us to assume the worst due to the lack of any thing else to go on. Come on Korg, we know you have read these comments so please speak up.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

TSUNAMI wrote:
Starting to wonder about build quality ....

Korg have normally made there top line synths built like tanks ... but I'm starting to wonder about the Kronos ...Will it stand up to the riggors of a gigging musician? for £2600 it flippin well should, I have a feeling that Korg are very aware of both the Dial issue and the keybed issue ... why ... their silence on the matter !!! They only seem to post when there is something positive to say or promote, so take my post about the tutorial vids .... both Dan and RichF reply ... but neither have said anything about the quality issues ...

well, it is the weekend... i know i'm off, maybe people at Korg are too. They probably have to have meetings and figure out what to do to address the issue, they don't usually come up with this stuff within a week's time. Whatever the case may be, odds are they'll ask you to send your unit into a technician and it will be repaired under warranty. They might even give you a new one. But Korg reps have to be sure of what they say, because people take what they say as law and hold the whole corporation to it and jump all over them with accusations and stuff.

This kind of stuff happened with the M3's pads and buttons when the M3 was released, and i'm sure it's happened with other workstations released also. Also, who knows what your Kronos went through on it's trip from Japan to your house, those UPS and FedEx people toss boxes around and drop them off conveyor belts in ways that would horrify you if you saw how your precious new workstation were being treated (in terms of the keybed issues).

If i were buying a new Kronos, I would buy it at a store, where I could inspect the unit first before paying for it, and transport it MYSELF to my home/studio. Ever since I sold my Triton Extreme a few years ago, i don't trust UPS or FedEx at all (FedEx is the one who completely LOST my Triton, and had to pay me $1300). Anywho, if it's possible to go this route, it would probably prevent you from getting a unit with this kind of keybed damage or faulty data knob. Obviously, not ALL kronos's have this kind of build quality faults, that guy who did the video review said his data knob felt perfectly fine and didn't fall off, and other people have said there was nothing wrong with their units.

But i bet at least 3 of Sina's Kronos's will have to be repaired...
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

TSUNAMI wrote:
Past experience tells me it'll be a long wait ... When they do we'll probably get a response like 'Korg are aware of the problem'

Well of course. But really, what else do you want them to say? They can only tell you what they know and what they are authorized to report. Should they tell us rumors?

"Hey guys...we're not supposed to say anything, but we heard they are going to repair everyone's defective Kronos AND refund everyone $500!" or "this is supposed to be hush hush, but they are just going to give everyone the finger who asks about the broken knob".....
what are they supposed to do when something other than what they report becomes true?

So yes. I'm sure Korg is aware of the problem. And I'm sure we'll be told they are aware shortly. And then nothing will be said until a decision is made regarding a solution.

I think it's important that everyone who HAS a problem report it, so they know just what they are dealing with. I'm not sure what worrying about faders that-may-be-perfectly-fine accomplishes, however.

Last edited by keywhiz61 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
Obviously, not ALL kronos's have this kind of build quality faults, that guy who did the video review said his data knob felt perfectly fine and didn't fall off, and other people have said there was nothing wrong with their units.

True, but I doubt the knobs are built any differently. Just that the double-stick-tape has held the knob on securely---at least for now.

That IS a really lame design. My Kronos is enroute from Sweetwater as I type. Should be here Wednesday. I'd LIKE to gig with it on Saturday, if at all possible.

It would be nice to know in the next day or so what Korg plans to do about any design flaws/defects. If I need to ship it back the next day, I will. Once I get it integrated into my rig, I'd rather not have to take it out and NOT gig with it for however-many-weeks.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:

So yes. I'm sure Korg is aware of the problem. And I'm sure we'll be told they are aware shortly. And then nothing will be said until a decision is made regarding a solution............

Yes, I agree in part. However, how many might decide to cancel thier pre-order UNTIL Korg has come up with a response that answers peoples concerns.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:

Yes, I agree in part. However, how many might decide to cancel thier pre-order UNTIL Korg has come up with a response that answers peoples concerns.

Yes, I agree it is in their best interest to offer a solution as quickly as possible.

Seems the only logical solution will be to authorize repairs at service centers.

This is my first Korg purchase...EVER. That's saying a lot since I bought my first keyboard in 1982. But I can't imagine they wouldn't offer repairs to the faulty knobs and loose keybeds...

...would they?
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
panrixx wrote:

Yes, I agree it is in their best interest to offer a solution as quickly as possible.

Seems the only logical solution will be to authorize repairs at service centers.

This is my first Korg purchase...EVER. That's saying a lot since I bought my first keyboard in 1982. But I can't imagine they wouldn't offer repairs to the faulty knobs and loose keybeds...

...would they?

I would rather hope Korg could send out new wheels with improved design for us to put back in to place. Other manufacturers does exactly that.
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:

My K88 would also be my first Korg unit. I stand to be corrected but a quick google seems to suggest any repairs need to be sent to the dealer who then sends it back to the sole UK repair centre.

My K88 would have already travelled from Japan - Eastbourne - Cornwall. The thought of it then having to travel from Cornwall - Eastbourne - Milton Keynes (?) - Eastbourne - Cornwall, just because the data wheel falls off or similar, does not sit well with me.

Maybe, this concern is unfounded (I do hope so) but at present I have only members feedbacks to work on. Korg's response could help but I understand the working week does not start until the morning (1am here in the UK).
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

I would rather hope Korg could send out new wheels with improved design for us to put back in to place. Other manufacturers does exactly that.

That's a possibility, of course. Depends on the original design. Without a stem for the wheel to snap onto, it's hard to see what other wheel would work better. Seems like a very poor design, overall, from what I've seen.

But frankly, I'm more concerned about the loose keybed.

I really don't like to have to baby my keyboards. I use them live and I need them to be durable. I don't go out of my way to abuse them but....s**t happens.

The last new keyboard I purchased was a Motif 6 in 2001. That thing is built like a tank. It's been knocked off the keyboard stand by drunk girls, fallen from about 4 feet high from the place it gets stacked in the trailer (while inside a SKB hardshell case), had drinks split on it...the only issue I have with it currently are a few knicks and scratches around the edges and the volume pot is scratchy. I DID bust a key once and had to have that replaced.

And THAT board was less than $2K brand new.

I'll tolerate a few flaws in the Kronos (since I'm buying one of the very-first released I frankly expect a few...) but I certainly hope Korg comes to the plate in making sure it is a board worthy of their reputation.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
My K88 would also be my first Korg unit.

Not certain what is happening in Europe, but here in the US they are quoting an approx 2 month delay in the delivery of the 73s and 88s. Hopefully that delay will also result in those units being repaired BEFORE they are shipped out to the dealers.
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
Not certain what is happening in Europe, but here in the US they are quoting an approx 2 month delay in the delivery of the 73s and 88s. Hopefully that delay will also result in those units being repaired BEFORE they are shipped out to the dealers.

It has been 'suggested' that the first K88s are due in July but I'm not banking on it. At the momemt I am assuming August.

However, if they do arrive in August, when would they have been built, allowing for transportation to the docks, loading , shipping, unloading, customs and final transportation to dealers?
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

[quote="panrixx"]
keywhiz61 wrote:

However, if they do arrive in August, when would they have been built, allowing for transportation to the docks, loading , shipping, unloading, customs and final transportation to dealers?

They've got to all still be in Japan. If they were on a freighter somewhere, there would be a more defiinate date regarding when they will arrive in the stores. And if they are all still in Japan, I would THINK it would be easier to recall them and fix them now rather than fix them later.

Especially something like the issue with this knob which clearly seems to be a design-flaw rather than a "oh, a few of the knobs are broken. Let's just replace the broken ones." There doesn't seem to be anything BROKEN about the knobs that have fallen off. They just are designed poorly.

But then again...what do I know about where the machines are and when/how they will repair them. I'm just a piano player...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: