Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Quality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
robinkle wrote:

I would rather hope Korg could send out new wheels with improved design for us to put back in to place. Other manufacturers does exactly that.

That's a possibility, of course. Depends on the original design. Without a stem for the wheel to snap onto, it's hard to see what other wheel would work better. Seems like a very poor design, overall, from what I've seen.

But frankly, I'm more concerned about the loose keybed.

I really don't like to have to baby my keyboards. I use them live and I need them to be durable. I don't go out of my way to abuse them but....s**t happens.

The last new keyboard I purchased was a Motif 6 in 2001. That thing is built like a tank. It's been knocked off the keyboard stand by drunk girls, fallen from about 4 feet high from the place it gets stacked in the trailer (while inside a SKB hardshell case), had drinks split on it...the only issue I have with it currently are a few knicks and scratches around the edges and the volume pot is scratchy. I DID bust a key once and had to have that replaced.

And THAT board was less than $2K brand new.

I'll tolerate a few flaws in the Kronos (since I'm buying one of the very-first released I frankly expect a few...) but I certainly hope Korg comes to the plate in making sure it is a board worthy of their reputation.

About the wheel I would add new type of glue or a new design based on mechanical lock that only releases when pulled with a certain strength. something like that.

I agree on the Motif. I love how they are built. Rock solid, I like the buttons too, with a nice click when pressed. And I like how the XF looks as well. And mod/pitch wheels! if it had FM, I would be interested in it. About time Yamaha brings back FM to their keyboards!!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not concerned at all. Korg has been building synths for decades, so they know what is required for the keyboard to stand up to gigging.

As with most products, most all problems or defects are discovered within the first year, so that is why there is a manufacturer's warranty.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/

Last edited by MartinHines on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I agree on the Motif. I love how they are built. Rock solid, I like the buttons too, with a nice click when pressed. And I like how the XF looks as well. And mod/pitch wheels! if it had FM, I would be interested in it. About time Yamaha brings back FM to their keyboards!!

Yes, I love my Motif. But It's been 10 years so it's more-than-past-time for me to purchase a new main board, and I was looking to purchase a XF a few months back when I heard about the Kronos. I love the Motif but, frankly, the XF isn't anything more than an improved-and-updated version of what I already have. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm excited about the Kronos as it promises to be something new and exciting and (hopefully) more inspirational than just what an improved Motif would provide me.

Plus, I'll still always have my Motif!
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Yes, I love my Motif. But It's been 10 years so it's more-than-past-time for me to purchase a new main board, and I was looking to purchase a XF a few months back when I heard about the Kronos. I love the Motif but, frankly, the XF isn't anything more than an improved-and-updated version of what I already have. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm excited about the Kronos as it promises to be something new and exciting and (hopefully) more inspirational than just what an improved Motif would provide me.

Plus, I'll still always have my Motif!

I totaly understand that. Smile. But on the other hand, with a motif, you know what you get. I'm more tempted to buy the Kronos, because I love programing sounds and make music of them, I only need a synth really, that have good FM and VA capabilities. Kronos is perfect, but the build quality worries me, because I might want to have Kronos for many years, and when things falls off the first week, I might not be as happy with it.

Over all, Yamaha Motif is a rock solid quality product on the hardware side. if its 10 years old or 1 month old, it's rock solid.

With Korg, you don't know what they will bring next, is it high quality hardware or cheap toy like stuff? You never know with Korg until someone buys it. Korg should do like Yamaha, make people confident that the product can survive many years. Maby do like motif, make a standard for their products.

I don't worry about the Weight, the quality is more important. Personally it would be perfect if Korg made Kronos out of an Aluminum block the same way Apple does with their Mac Book's. It would feel and look better as well. But that may be just a dream.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
[I'm more tempted to buy the Kronos, because I love programing sounds and make music of them, I only need a synth really, that have good FM and VA capabilities. Kronos is perfect, but the build quality worries me, because I might want to have Kronos for many years, and when things falls off the first week, I might not be as happy with it.

My fear with all these big workstations is they start trying to cram so much stuff under one hood and then sell it at an affordable price that they end up with too many compromises.

Normally, I would never buy a new synth as a "first adopter". I took a chance on the Kronos since so much of what the Kronos is they already worked out with the Oaysis.

But we'll see...
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

keywhiz61 wrote:
robinkle wrote:
[I'm more tempted to buy the Kronos, because I love programing sounds and make music of them, I only need a synth really, that have good FM and VA capabilities. Kronos is perfect, but the build quality worries me, because I might want to have Kronos for many years, and when things falls off the first week, I might not be as happy with it.

My fear with all these big workstations is they start trying to cram so much stuff under one hood and then sell it at an affordable price that they end up with too many compromises.

Normally, I would never buy a new synth as a "first adopter". I took a chance on the Kronos since so much of what the Kronos is they already worked out with the Oaysis.

But we'll see...

This is probably why Oasys was much more expencive, and I think the Intel Atom is cheaper then the Pentium 4 was. But over all, I think Oasys build quality is on a different league. So I guess there is too many compromises on the Kronos to make it cheaper. They should have kept a bit more from the Oasys hardware, just enaugh to prevent things to fall off or make noise.

For Oasys users, it would be perfect to take out what's inside and install Kronos electronics back in it. Smile.

We'll see indeed, hopefully problems are solved on the next batch.
drchris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

For Oasys users, it would be perfect to take out what's inside and install Kronos electronics back in it. Smile.

Now THAT would probably void a warranty... grin...
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Build Quality Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Now THAT would probably void a warranty... grin...

Not if Korg does it for you.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
I am not concerned at all. Korg has been building synths for decades, so they know what is required for the keyboard to stand up to gigging.

The game has been changed !!!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What still hasn't been made clear is how many Kronos does this affect? It could be a relatively small number, and whilst concerning, there may be a few batches that didn't quite get QC'd as well as they should have been.

Who knows?

I'll stick up a poll.....

DAn
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
jahrome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
What still hasn't been made clear is how many Kronos does this affect? It could be a relatively small number, and whilst concerning, there may be a few batches that didn't quite get QC'd as well as they should have been.

Who knows?

I'll stick up a poll.....

DAn

I am feeling de ja vu. Not too long ago, Akai put out the MPC 1000 with a new pad design. They failed miserably. Akai didn't respond at all too complaints. Years later, they released pad upgrade kits and released a black version of the MPC 1K which included the pad upgrade. To this day, to my knowledge, they have yet to admit they made an error in design.

If anyone here has any affiliation with Korg....please get them word that they need to go back to the previous data wheels used in their other workstations....(that didn't use tape).
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Trying to summarise Reply with quote

From what I have read on the forum there are four or five teething troubles that korg should look at to make most people happy:

(1) fix the issue with the rotary encoder - press them in properly so they dont fall out (pretty minor probably)

(2) investigate the rattle - might require tightenting some screws or reinforcing the pcb (again pretty minor)

(3) OS update to allow addressing of more than 2GB memory and allow memory expansion (could be a bit of a headache if this requires hardware changes too)

(4) allow the screen to be magnified (since different font sizes seem to be a problem) - modification to the OS (might be just a bit of add-on code) - for those with poor eyesight (or supply a big square magnifying glass)

(5) Address issue (although I am prepared to wait 2 min 17 sec) with the boot up time - could be addressed in part by not loading all EXis and librbaries (maybe telling us the best way to do this) or with loading stuff in the background whilst the patch select screen is available (at least with your first 64-128 favourite patches loaded).

I think that is all that needs to be done really (and not all of them are really very serious issues).

(Hey - got away without mentioning the EU prices... nearly)
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to summarise Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:

LOL!
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to summarise Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
From what I have read on the forum there are four or five teething troubles that korg should look at to make most people happy:

(1) fix the issue with the rotary encoder - press them in properly so they dont fall out (pretty minor probably)

(2) investigate the rattle - might require tightenting some screws or reinforcing the pcb (again pretty minor)

(3) OS update to allow addressing of more than 2GB memory and allow memory expansion (could be a bit of a headache if this requires hardware changes too)

(4) allow the screen to be magnified (since different font sizes seem to be a problem) - modification to the OS (might be just a bit of add-on code) - for those with poor eyesight (or supply a big square magnifying glass)

(5) Address issue (although I am prepared to wait 2 min 17 sec) with the boot up time - could be addressed in part by not loading all EXis and librbaries (maybe telling us the best way to do this) or with loading stuff in the background whilst the patch select screen is available (at least with your first 64-128 favourite patches loaded).

I think that is all that needs to be done really (and not all of them are really very serious issues).

A+++ To all That!! I Second that!!! You hit it all!!

I would like to add different cabinet color options also... purple would be nice! Or a Signature Jordan Rudess model?? Face palm Very Happy
lesfarrington

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: quality of the Kronii Reply with quote

I recieved my Kronos last wednesday the 8th of June. i have to say that i am impressed with the Build. it feels solid and all the buttons and dials do not feel cheep to me. the Keybed makes a little Rattle but its not a PROBLEM as much as it is the Design. its very responsive. I have the 61. the only problem i have is that this monster is WAY WAY DEEPER THAN I INITIALLY THOUGHT! i have NEVER EVER In my 30 years of experience with synths been so blown away by the Depth. it will take years to exhaust this thing. THE SCREEN is bugging me though. its only a Software Design problem. the Data Edit Fields are little BOXES and they are LITTLE. it requires EXACTING finger work to make it respond. i am Still VERY happy with my purchase. i work in big studios and ive let 4 engineers and 2 producers that i know listen to the internal demos and i let them expore the sound.....ALL Agree that this has the greatest Dynamic Range ever in an electronic instrument. they were all Very impressed. I am going to have the plastic end caps replaced with WOOD anyway and that is the only part that i think "MIGHT" " MAYBE" break or Blemish. but otherwise DONT PASS UP THIS FANTASTIC INSTRUMENT. KORG HAS REALLY REALLY STEPPED OUT HERE. I have been a Yamaha Fan for 10 years. I LOVE THEM!! I still DO! but this Kronos is really powerful on so many levels. i cant stress it enough. ONCE YOU GET OVER THE HUGE LEARNING CURVE it should be a knockout Tool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: