Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wait for my 88 or change to the 61?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drchris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Wait for my 88 or change to the 61? Reply with quote

I know no one can answer for me, but maybe you guys will have some advice that helps. I am not a professional musician, but love playing in my home studio and in the worship band at our church. I've been playing via Ableton, an AKAI MPK 49 (and APC 40). I think of myself much more as a synth player than a piano player.

I started off a couple of months ago looking for an 88 key instrument mostly for home studio use. I looked at the big names out there in workstations and stage pianos and was looking at an M3 vs a Nord. Then I came across the Kronos, and was amazed at the flexibility it would give me. I preordered an 88 from Sweetwater but as everyone knows it is delayed. I reinvestigated, and again came to the conclusion that I want the Kronos.

Now the question: Do I hold out for the 88 that I ordered, or go on and pick up an 61?

The issues are:
- will I be comfortable on weighted keys? I know I have to answer for myself, but do those of you who DO think of yourselves as piano player feel comfortable on the semi weighted keys? Do you think I'll regret not having a weighted keyed in my home studio?
- although I plan on continuing to play at church using my current rig, would I feel more comfortable transporting the 61 than the 88? Given the quality concerns that have been thrown around, should I not even plan on moving either size Kronos, or is the 61 so much lighter that it could be moved perhaps more safely than the 88?

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!

Chris
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If timing is your concern, definitely wait!!! Most piano players do feel strange playing on semiweighted keys. For starters, on 61-key keyboards the keys are 1/8" narrower than on the fully weighted keys. Not sure why this is, but i do remember someone measuring. They are also a LOT lighter, and the keys bounce back faster, it's just an odd feeling until you get used to it. If you're used to playing on fully weighted keys, definitely hold out for the 88-key version.

As far as moving your kronos around, I don't see the weight being an issue, considering you would most likely never load it upsidedown. Make sure you have proper padding in your case, and make sure you use a hard-case, not a soft-case. Korgs are generally built pretty solid, and the only issues appear to be with the data knob, and the keybed. These seem to mostly be things that will go wrong when you play, and the data knob... well you probably don't have much control over that one... it either happens or it doesn't.

my vote goes to holding out for the 88!
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some people enjoy gigging with an 88, and maybe they have roadies.
I'd rather move a row boat around then lugging an 88 Kronos..
If you're playing out, I'd give that some thought.
In the studio, yes, hauling it around "Not" .. JMO

My 61 is sexy and the synth keys play beautiful.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you an advice on the choice of a weighted or non weighted kbd. It's all a matter of personal taste.

That said, if you're not a pianist it will take you some time to built up strength in your fingers to play a weighted keyboard, but once you're used to it you'll appreciate the sensation and the better control it gives you on expression and on the dynamics of the sound. It may seem strange, but a piano patch played with a synth action type kbd does not sound quite the same as when played with a piano action type kbd.

I have never tried out a RH3, but if its weight is equivalent to a Roland PHA II or PHA III you should have no problems; it's lighter than an upright piano (the only weighted kbds I would *not* recommand to a non piano trained kbd player are the Kawais; those I have tried out were really stiff).

Btw, I would advice not to rush to buy a Kronos and to wait until the early hardware and software flaws (data wheel, font size...) have been ironed out.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
For starters, on 61-key keyboards the keys are 1/8" narrower than on the fully weighted keys. Not sure why this is, but i do remember someone measuring.

There seems to be no standard.
Examples:
• the 76 keys of a Yamaha EX5 (same kbd as 76 Trinity Pro and 61 DX7 and Trinity) have a width of 160 mm / octave, that is 5 mm narrower than a piano
• the 61 keys of a Kawai K5000W have a width of 165 mm / octave (same width as the 88 keys of a Roland RD700 stage piano)

And the kbd of a harpsichord is much narrower...
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed from a 73 to the 61 as I can use a Casio weighted keyboard controller if I need weighted key feel. I do not gig at all. I was annoyed that the 73 was going to take so long to arrive.

I'm thinking about getting the 88 when the right price eventuates one day.
twstone1983

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
I changed from a 73 to the 61 as I can use a Casio weighted keyboard controller if I need weighted key feel. I do not gig at all. I was annoyed that the 73 was going to take so long to arrive.

I'm thinking about getting the 88 when the right price eventuates one day.

Agreed, If I had the money, I would go for a 61. This way I would have the portability for playing gigs, and when I want that piano feel, I would just use my TR88 as a midi controller.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait for my 88 or change to the 61? Reply with quote

I think the 88 is way too heavy to move around, personally. But you may be a lot stronger than I am! I would get a 61, and if I really missed having a weighted action for piano (which, btw, is a detriment for playing some other sounds like organ), I would simply add a light weight 88. A Kronos 61 AND a Casio PX3 together weigh about the same as a Kronos 88, but that much weight is much easier to move when split int two pieces, and then you'd have both a weighted and an unweighted action. Or instead of the PX3, you could get a Korg SP170 or Yamaha P95 which are only slightly heavier, but they would save you some money and you might find actually feel better to play than the Casio. As a side benefit, buying a Kronos 61 and a separate 88 can also be cheaper than buying a Kronos 88! Plus it's immediately available. I actually don't see much reason for anyone to buy any Kronos other than a 61 unless someone is primarily a piano player and/or wants to take up as little space as possible. (Or perhaps to combine with an existing 61 they want to continue to use.)

Apart from that, if you're curious about how you'd feel playing a Kronos 88, try the action on an M3-88 or SV-1, they will be similar.

Last edited by Scott on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned two 61-key keyboards -- a Karma and a Triton Extreme.

In both cases, I wished I would have gone for a 73 or 88 key keyboard.

I ordered the 88 key version, since it will also serve as a master keyboard. I will wait.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people mention getting a light 88 controller...that's what I did, too.

keyplayer14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm much happier when playing a decent weighted action, it just feels as if you have so much more control. Been playing them for a lot of years though, so well used to how they feel.
Also I use a lot of keyboard splits when playing live, so for most things I'm doing I really need 88 notes. Yeah, I know I could do it with a 61 and an 88 controller, but I'll be using something else with the K - not sure what yet - and these days I like to limit myself to two boards on stage!
drchris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much, everyone for your thoughts!

So, based on some of the early feedback, I decided to check and see if the local Guitar Center (here in Memphis) had a Kronos in stock. I went there and got to play it tonight. So here are a few thoughts on the Kronos in general now that I've seen one in person.

Regarding the data wheel, I don't forsee it being a problem for the kind of use I will give it. Unless you're trying to move it very fast or only with pressure from one side (rather than from the top), I don't fear that it will fall off. I know others have expressed concerns, and I too would like to see a slightly different design (i.e. Motif style), but in no way does this design make me think the Kronos overall is weak or poorly designed.

Vector joystick: It seems to me that the looseness is by design. If you move it to a particular location, it appears to stay in that location. Perhaps there is a tradeoff between "easy to move" and "flimsy". I think it's a good balance.

I failed to look for the click / rattle that has been mentioned. I didn't notice anything obvious.

The screen was not a problem for me. It was mounted as the highest board on the display (of three boards) and angled with a bit more tilt that is probably real-world, so I can't comment much on screen angle. But, the font size while small is not any more difficult to read (actually easier) than some of the VST's I run on my MacBook Pro. (The Korg Legacy MS-20 VST has a really small font - the Kronos is better than that.)

BTW, the screen does have some "touch and slide" ability. As noted, that is not used for sliders, but you do touch scroll bars and slide them to scroll from side to side.

But of course the point of my trip to GC was to compare keybeds. Thankfully, there was an 88 key M50 located just under the Kronos so I got to compare those two keybeds directly.

For what I am planning, I'm definitely sticking with my order of the 88 key Kronos. I liked the feel of the M50 keybed very much (maybe even more than most of the other weighted keybeds in the store). The 61 key Kronos may have felt even a bit looser than my AKAI MPK 49 controller. I'll be keeping the 49 and using that as a controller for when I really want semi-weighted keys.

So after all of that, I'm more excited about Kronos having seen it in person. But I'm waiting on the 88 key that I originally ordered.

I don't know if I'll be moving the Kronos to church, but it's more likely that for most events there, I'll be using my current setup for a while.

Thanks again for your comments!
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: