Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would concur with your thoughts. if lots of people had responded, but as there's only 8 people with issues, it's hardly a world-wide major problem. YET. Wink
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
lesfarrington

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: TO ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS GUY Reply with quote

I OWN A KRONOS. i didnt PLAY ONE IN THE STORE and walk away with a firm opinion. i didnt WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO and come to any solid conclusions. I BOUGHT ONE and have had it a week. Mine works and feels GREAT!!! You cant find a synth with this kinda depth ANYWHERE. i have never been a Korg Fan but this is a whole new kind of KORG! they have GROWN UP believe me. the Knob Problems you are reading about are NOT the NORM! all my buttons, sliders and knobs work FINE. SOLID. TIGHT. DONT LISTEN TO THIS GUY! HE DOESNT OWN ONE! Perhaps he should study Theology, Find the ONE TRUE OMNIPOTENT GOD and send a request for this GOD to make him a keyboard that is made out of gold and precious jewels and turns Crappy Compositions into Masterpieces by pushing the UN-SUCK button. your dream synth would cost 20 grand!
jahrome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny to keep reading these posts...and maybe redundant for me to keep replying.

But the design of the data wheel is seriously flawed. You don't use tape to secure anything that will be heavily used. I never had a problem with the Triton. Don't see any thread regarding the data wheel of the M3.

If you barely use your data wheel, you may not notice any problems today. But if you use it like me when doing a lot of sample editing...it is an issue. I say this again because I have two Kronos. I bought each in different countries...but have the same problem with both.

To sum this up: TAPE = BAD DESIGN
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
the design of the data wheel is seriously flawed.
It's Lombard Street to a China orange. The wheel design has to be changed!
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones

Last edited by orpheus2006 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roland and Yamaha dont have a clue re:customer service.

Just complete and utter hogwash.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
Its funny to keep reading these posts...and maybe redundant for me to keep replying.

But the design of the data wheel is seriously flawed. You don't use tape to secure anything that will be heavily used. I never had a problem with the Triton. Don't see any thread regarding the data wheel of the M3.

If you barely use your data wheel, you may not notice any problems today. But if you use it like me when doing a lot of sample editing...it is an issue. I say this again because I have two Kronos. I bought each in different countries...but have the same problem with both.

+1 .........

I agree, How long can tape hold and last without getting hard,soften or dry up on a knob that is going to be used? If the tape was used on a stationary part it wouldnt be a problem. How much can a quality data knob cost anyway..$5 ? If they remake it hopefully it will have a dimple in it.. like the old ones.

UPDATE:: Problem has been solved per Korg announcement!

Last edited by sparkie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
kday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:

That statement kinda sums up this whole issue. Korg shouldn't have never let these keyboards become outfitted with a rotary dial of the cheapest quality considering the rotary dial it's the most used part of the whole machine.

Of all the things to skimp out on, why skimp on the rotary dial, the very thing that is most used?

They should offer a fix to the Rotary dial issue by outfitting the machines with a Triton quality rotary dials. Forget applying glue as a permanent solution, these machines deserves better.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are certain tapes (not dissimilar to the tape highlighted in the knob-pictures) that are quite resilient to time - I've got some in my K2000 v3.... still going strong......
Taking into account the high-usage of the control surface, that's a different matter, but the principle is still sound....

Let's wait and see how this pans out imho.

Dan

UPDATE FROM Rich F

"Hi everyone,

We understand that a small number of our first Kronos customers have a value dial that can be removed too easily. We are acquiring a supply of newly-designed replacement dials, which will be available for free from your local Korg distributor. If your Kronos has a loose value dial, please do NOT use glue or any other kind of adhesive to attempt to secure it, as this can void your warranty. Please also note that this problem has been fixed for current and future Kronos production.

To find and contact your local Korg distributor, please use this link:
http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/

Thanks,
-Rich
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
sfernald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I have to say, all the reports about the build quality have me concerned.
For a $3000+ keyboard, it's simply not acceptable if the rumors are true.

I wait til I have my own PERSONAL hands on one to verify. In the meantime I'm hoping these are isolated incidents or Korg has a (Painless) fix in the works.

Though I don't feel as strongly about it as the op, it does concern me. I still may get an 88 by christmas if I feel the data wheel and build issues are addressed, but the keyboards I currently own (motif xf and nord wave) have wonderful high-quality builds and I think that is an important consideration (but not the only one) when buying a keyboard. I bought the motif xf used and I can't tell it from a new one. Sometimes people exaggerate when they say something is built like a tank, but the yamaha really is.

Owning a korg electribe and ms2000br, I expect nothing less from korg, especially from their flagship.
rob314159

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't owned much gear, nor played much. My other board is a Yamaha S80. I'm not a professional and the board will be remaining in one place.

So, maybe I don't know any better, but the Kronos seems pretty well built. The VJS seems to be exactly the right amount of looseness to achieve fine control with the ability to maintain position. I haven't attempted to pry off my data wheel, but under normal operation it doesn't appear to have any problems.

The overall appearance/layout looks very clean, even though there are a lot of controls.

The side panels do look like they would attract a lot of dust. That's probably the only negative I have after tinkering with it for about 4 hours.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That statement kinda sums up this whole issue. Korg shouldn't have never let these keyboards become outfitted with a rotary dial of the cheapest quality considering the rotary dial it's the most used part of the whole machine.

Well said. It's like outfitting a Porsche with an el cheapo steering wheel. What's the cost of a quality rotary dial? $10? I'd pay $10 more for a Kronos.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not everyone uses the data wheel that much. I hardly ever use mine. Maybe since my first workstation was an N364 which didn't even have a data wheel. I'm used to using the +/- buttons, the keypad, and the value slider. considering there are so many ways to enter data, i really don't see what the big deal is. Anywho it says they're addressing it at no cost to customers. What more can anyone ask? I mean, besides inventing time travel and preventing this detrimental catastrophe before it ever happened.

Actually that's not a bad idea... come on Korg, you think you're so clever with all your synth engines and your vector joysticks and SSD streaming and stuff... let's see ya pull off time travel!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
It's being sorted - let's leave it there.
jahrome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
not everyone uses the data wheel that much. I hardly ever use mine. Maybe since my first workstation was an N364 which didn't even have a data wheel. I'm used to using the +/- buttons, the keypad, and the value slider. considering there are so many ways to enter data, i really don't see what the big deal is. Anywho it says they're addressing it at no cost to customers. What more can anyone ask? I mean, besides inventing time travel and preventing this detrimental catastrophe before it ever happened.

Actually that's not a bad idea... come on Korg, you think you're so clever with all your synth engines and your vector joysticks and SSD streaming and stuff... let's see ya pull off time travel!

Not everyone uses the data wheel that much? And you know this how? My data wheel popped out after two days. That designed is bad. There is no way to justify using tape to secure a data wheel..period. Its silly to defend the design. Never had issues with a data wheel of a Triton Studio, Motif, Fantom X, Fantom G, MPC 1000, MPC 2000, MPC 2000XL, MPC 2500, MPC 3000, MPC 4000, and the MPC 5000.

+/- keys are simply not good for sample editing..and are actually not very good ergonomically when compared to a data wheel...plus th wear out significantly faster. Value slider is not good for fine editing..

Bottom line...."I" use the data wheel when ever possible...I have two Korg Kronos with almost unusable data wheels....and Korg is not off the hook until my customer support email is answered and the knows actually in my hand. I have almost $6000 invested.
drchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm relatively new here, and that I don't yet even own a Kronos (88 on order), but it appears to me that Korg has issued an official statement here in public about the data wheel and that changes to the current production runs are underway and replacements for current users are being offered.

For now, the problem should be considered "being addressed" and further posts about this subject should really be put on hold. If the replacement knob comes, and is not an adequate solution, this should again become an issue for discussion. But for now it should be dropped.

To those of you that have had problems, we, the community, understand. You are upset. The datawheel fell off. You're even mad. We get it. Now give Korg a chance to make it right and let the issue go for a while while you enjoy your Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: