Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? for M3/Oasys/Kronos owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: ? for M3/Oasys/Kronos owners Reply with quote

Looking for an professional opinion between the difference in sound quality when using the M3 vs. Oasys/Kronos live. Don't want to be a rock star, write the next big hit, record until the cows come home, just want to play live. Using an M3-73 now, which I really like, especially since I figured out how to have SST using Karma, if I lay down another three plus grand for the Kronos, will there be that much if a difference in sound quality in a live arena?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this is like asking whether the new tires on a new Ferrari are going to make a big difference on the road as compared to my old Chrysler. Very Happy

Sound quality is one feature of the KRONOS, and it DOES sound immensely better than the M3. However, live...its the venue and the sound system that really dictate the quality of sound to an audience. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL....the KRONOS just sounds better.

But the KRONOS is truly a monster as compared to the M3....SO MANY features, sound content, possibilities....its somewhat mind blowing. There is really no comparison to the M3.

Lots of talk on these forums about build quality and screen resolution/responsiveness....always things that can be improved or criticized.....but overall as a total package, the KRONOS is the best keyboard workstation I have ever seen, heard, or played. I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase......far beyond my expectations. I am also an M3-61 owner, and a former OASYS owner.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, RonF. My question was a little open-ended. Sorry. I have played the Oasys before, though not much, and maybe because it sounds like a Korg, I didn't really perceive much of a difference in sound quality between the Oasys and M3. Confused
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, drama1. There is a difference in my mind between the sound of a keyboard, and the sound quality of a keyboard. The KRONOS HD-1 does, especially driven by KARMA, tend to have a "Korg workstation sound" to it. But the caliber and clarity of the sound quality is substantially superior to just about any keyboard I have heard, especially the M3, which always had somewhat of a grainy lower resolution sound quality to me.

But.....the STR-1, MOD-7, AL-1, and other engines....sound nothing like that traditional "Korg workstation sound" to me. These are new areas to explore and discover for sound design. Even some of the new HD-1 content is far superior to any previous keyboard (OASYS not withstanding perhaps), and do not bring that traditional Korg workstation sound to mind....in fact, its so crystal clear that it makes me think more of a traditional Roland sound (a good thing in this respect).

MS20 and Poly6 don't really have that traditional Korg workstation sound either.....they sound llike....well.....and MS20 and Poly6.....TRULY traditional KORG!

Putting all of these new and unique engines together into a combi or song is where the real amazing possibilities are, and creates a new "sound" that is totally unique. Its the integration of the engines, even feeding sound sources from one to another for sound design, that sets things apart.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SOS review of the M3 Gordon Reid wrote:
But does EDS really sound like HD1? The answer, to confound the cynics, is 'yes, very much so'. I had already suspected this when flicking through the M3's factory Programs, but when I placed the two synths on adjacent stands for comparison, I had to step only as far as Program A006 'Acoustic Bass 1' to discover two sounds that are identical not just in sound, but also in performance, responding in the same way to playing style and controllers such as the modulation joystick, ribbon, and switches. Others, such as A010 'Vibrato Flute', are similar and, although not quite the same, I think that they would be interchangeable for all purposes. Some Programs are not just different, but better. A007 'New Day Voices' uses samples present on the OASYS, but the Program itself has been created for the M3. I love it. It's an open-throated vocal sound that sounds as if it was inspired by the Trio Bulgarka (the Bulgarian female choir popularised by Kate Bush) and it sounds wonderful. It makes me want to stop writing words and start writing music to take advantage of it. There are even OASYS Combis duplicated in the M3, some all-but identical, some with audible differences, but many of which would work in the same context.
jroujinsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drama1,
I had M3 for 3 years and my brother has Oasys.
We played a lot side by side, so I can tell that besides numerous synth engines and audio recording capabilities, the most significant difference is the clarity and depth of the sound.
I sold my M3 immediately when Kronos was announced and waiting anxiously for it to arrive.
Even if it will sound 'as good as' Oasys - I will be HAPPY!
ChristianRock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the Kronos will seamlessly change from one sound to another without losing the tail end of it, and without cutting off the effects.
If that's important to you, it might be worth considering Wink
amosdef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the Set List function. It's going to great having a good touch screen interface to selecting sounds, especially when the setlist gets switched up on the fly. That along with the sound transitioning will be a huge plus for me when playing live.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion. You will hear the difference. Your audience, on the other hand, may have more difficulty discerning the differences. It was easy for me to hear between the M3 and Oasys.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree richf, this board is a monster, i traded my m3 in, and i don't want to turn back, the kronos has made me forget all about the m3.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to play a Kronos yesterday and here are my thoughts. There definitely is a step up in sound quality vs. the M3. Is it leaps and bounds above the M3? No, but it's definitely there. To my ears the board sounds wonderful, but there is no doubt it is a Korg sound. Right now I'm going to hold off on purchase mainly because I do not care for the configuration of the Kronos (no 73 key semi- weighted) and hang on to my M3-73. I did notice in set list the smooth sound transition works great. I can achieve the same results using Karma on the M3, so that is really not an issue for me. Thank you to everyone for responding to this post. By the way, it is a beautiful board, although the screen is definitely somewhat difficult to read, more difficult than the M3. Don't go by me though, I'm an old guy. Very Happy
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filters on Oasys and Kronos are so much better. The Highs are "so crisp" and the lows and middle are "so much warmer". I am a M3 owner and a Kronos owner to be. Use monitors and you will see for yourself.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree.....there is a significant sonic difference between the M3 and the KRONOS. Demo'ing it anywhere other than your own quiet home setting is likely to mask the significant differences between the two. I know you can then argue that in a live venue, who is going to hear it??? But that argument does not go a long way for me....because in my experience, 90% of the audience wouldn't know or care about the difference anyway. Its ME who can hear it.....and boy can I hear it!!!

Trust me, take these two boards into your home setting and demo them side by side.....you will be struck by the difference in sonic clarity and depth. I again urge you to listen from a perspective of not just a "Korg sound" .... but the clarity and dynamic range of that sound. On its HD1 programs and combis, the KRONOS does have a similar "Korg sound" as the EDS programs and combis of the M3. Its more the programing (especially KARMA) and underlying waveforms that are the foundation of this "sound". But the mechanical sound quality are two totally different things. Then when you consider that the KRONOS brings so many other sound types (ST, MOD, AL, CX, MS, POLY) to the table that the M3 cannot even touch....well there is just no comparison IMHO.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"getting some M3s" ...plural? How many you gonnna get bro?
Lol

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: