Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? for M3/Oasys/Kronos owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent some sound samples to my friend that primarily used Korgs and he responded by saying that the sounds I sent he wouldn't expect to hear from a Korg keyboard - so the Kronos can apparently get sounds that might be considered outside of the usual Korg territory.

As for the Kronos vs. PC3, at this point, for me, there's just one remaining thing - the mute issue for combinations. Other than that, for general use for me, the Kronos is much better for live playing. The SST just works seamless compared to the PC3. The Kronos sounds like it has much, much more fidelity than the PC3; both low and hi end. Actually when played through the EQ that I have for the PC3, the Kronos has too much high end.

All that being said, I can still bring the PC3 to the gig live and not miss a beat since the polyphony and tons of useful programs make it a great keyboard for live.

I have never tried the M3, but I love the way it looks! Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Actually when played through the EQ that I have for the PC3, the Kronos has too much high end.

That's a particular characteristic of any digital Korg synthesizer
I have encountered - they all have somewhat bumped up high end at the output, even when EQ is completely flat. It's what makes them cut through the mix better, at the cost of not sounding uncolored.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

My first synth was a Korg and I still love it, so shut the f*ck up everyone already! Evil or Very Mad

Easy there, thug. You're not doing any favors for Kurz with that attitude.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I have encountered - they all have somewhat bumped up high end at the output, even when EQ is completely flat. It's what makes them cut through the mix better, at the cost of not sounding uncolored.

Interesting. I don't find the Rhodes and Piano engine to be too bright, but some of the orchestral string sounds are very, very bright. I will need to EQ them.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

My first synth was a Korg and I still love it, so shut the f*ck up everyone already! Evil or Very Mad

Easy there, thug. You're not doing any favors for Kurz with that attitude.

So now I'm a thug? Seriously?

Where did you get my "denigration", pal? I never denigrated anything, everything I said was my own point of view, and I give the good, the bad, and the ugly, all that goes with it. There is no such thing as a perfect board. That's why one is better at something where the other one isn't.

Favors? I'm not doing any favors to Kurzweil. They don't pay me, I don't work for them. I'm just a user. A user with an opinion.

Have a problem with that?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
so the Kronos can apparently get sounds that might be considered outside of the usual Korg territory.

oh most definitely. The traditional "Korg sound" was always less bright, than say the traditional "Roland sound". Korg had an ethereal quality....wonderful in pads and soundscapes. Lots of bottom and midrange....but a bit sloped on its top end. You could EQ to taste....but it blended very well in a live mix. Roland was known for cutting through a mix....Korg for filling in that mix. However....the game did change with Oasys/Kronos. The fidelity of these two is outstanding. And in particular on the Kronos with its 9 engines, the sound palette includes a traditional Korg vibe....but goes on to extend to so many different styles and colors.....nothing like Korg of old. Comparing, say, a Triton to the Kronos....night and day. Triton can accomplish maybe 25% of Kronos sound palette. And Kronos even makes those traditional Korg tones sound bright and clear. Its really a difference from the past in the Korg sound.

Quote:
I have never tried the M3, but I love the way it looks!

Same here. Lots of people have dis'sed the M3's looks. I always loved it. Even the "wood side panels". I also have a thing for white keyboards....including my M3, Virus Polar, and white out Voyager and moogerfoogers. If Kronos came in white....i dunno....I might have to do it!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Dany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I sent some sound samples to my friend that primarily used Korgs and he responded by saying that the sounds I sent he wouldn't expect to hear from a Korg keyboard - so the Kronos can apparently get sounds that might be considered outside of the usual Korg territory...

....yes, of course it can!!! As you know, you can for example directly load the FM-Synthesis based YAMAHA DX-7 Sounds into Kronos and reconstruct the sounds of the DX-7II. You can also reconstruct the legendary RCM-Synthesis [Real-Time Convolution Modulation] based sounds from the legendary YAMAHA SY77 and SY99 ...and not to forget the reconstruction of the legendary YAMAHA TX-816, by using the Kronos combi mode. And all those ORIGINAL YAMAHA SOUNDS are not only perfectly replicated on Kronos/Oasys but ENHANCED to a never before heard level. You than finally can take those sounds to a whole new level, because it is MOD-7!!! So therefore KRONOS is capable to sound EXACTLY (in fact much better...) like some legendary and great classic YAMAHA synths...

-
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the difference for me treble-wise on my system: from 3 o'clock back to 12 (flat). Tremendous amount of high end compared to my PC3. The sounds are very punchy and agressive. Still getting used to it.
videorov

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Keyboard castle Reply with quote

Im sure Sina lives in a Van down by the river with his keyboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: