Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i love my KRONOS..... but

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames4208

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: i love my KRONOS..... but Reply with quote

things that i can easily do with my other gear is harder for me to figure out on the kronos.....
my only gripe (so far) is not having ADAT LIGHTPIPE.
but, over all this is sonically one of the best workstations, if not the best, that's subjective, available.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is because you wish to have 8 individual digital I/O? Because the USB and SPDIF achieve the same for 4 I/O. Thats enough for me.

I echo your other comments.....its a monster synth with unreal possibilities. I think it requires a paradigm shift in thinking about a workstation keyboard. Its easy to judge it in tried and true conventional terms. But the reality is that having all of these engines integrated internally, including engine to engine routing of signal for sound design, allows for sonic possibilities that are very new and unique, and frankly are beyond anything that I had comprehended before I had the board sitting in front of me. Its a sound designers dream workstation!

What it is as a live keyboard, or composing station....is more conventional. Its just a great keyboard with lots of features. But what it is as a sound design synth.....is fresh and new territory. In the right hands, its a true monster!

I was a former OASYS owner. And though many of these features were eventually built into the O....it was a process of development that wasn't fully realized and built into the platform at first. You also had to purchase each supplemental engine, so not everyone had all these goodies. With KRONOS, it is fully mature, fully integrated, and all on tap from start up. As such, it is the most integrated and complete sound design toolbox in hardware that I have ever seen or heard. Taken from the right perspective, its truly amazing.
mjames4208

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats refreshing to hear.... i thought using the digital connection only streamed 2 channels
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
JimH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames4208 wrote:
thats refreshing to hear.... i thought using the digital connection only streamed 2 channels

I think it's only two. At least on output. I believe the S/PDIF and USB output from the Kronos both carry the same L & R signals. Though on input to the Kronos you could have four separate streams. At least that's my understanding from looking at the manual. But, if you're on a PC and if the USB occupies the ASIO connection, what are you going to plug the S/PDIF into? I supposes there may be some way to work it, but it doesn't seem convenient.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the KRONOS you can use the Analog, USB, and SPDIF all at once, thru the Global or SEQ mode AUDIO IN mixer. Just route the appropriate I/O to the desired buss. On the other hand, you may need to create an aggregate audio device to use both USB and SPDIF at once in your software DAW. Depends on your DAW.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is correct. The USB, SPDIF, & L&R outs are the same.

Also, isn't SPDIF no higher than 16 bit 44.1k?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right....my comment was for input to KRONOS. As far as output, SPDIF and USB carry the same signal.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Yes that's right....my comment was for input to KRONOS. As far as output, SPDIF and USB carry the same signal.

Yeah, I got that.

So for inputs, you are able to send 4 channels of audio from Kronos to the your computer via USB? Is that correct?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for any confusion.....just to clarify....

KRONOS to Computer via USB (or SPDIF because it carries the same signal as USB), two channels of audio....typically stereo.

Computer to KRONOS....4 separate channels of audio is possible using BOTH USB and SPDIF, routing separate signals to each buss. You need a DAW that permits selecting separate audio device per track, or create an aggregate audio device.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read in some KORG documentation where it describes the USB connection as containing "4 channels of audio"....but in practice thats 2 In and 2 Out....not 4 each way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: