Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as my DAW?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristianRock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Kronos as my DAW? Reply with quote

Is anyone here using or considering using the Kronos are your DAW, and what are your thoughts on it (pro or against)?

I currently don't have a computer in my studio at all, and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. The Kronos would replace my analog reel tape recorder (16 tracks) and my Mackie mixer, and of course provide much needed additional sound sources as well. I feel that 16 midi + 16 audio won't be a hindrance, after all it's way more than what I have now. The Kronos effects should be fine to replace my outboard effects. And I'm planning on keeping my tube preamps and Lucid converter to send a digital signal to the Kronos audio tracks, bypassing the Kronos converters.

So. Am I crazy? Should I stick to my tape unit if it's working for me (plus the Kronos Wink), or should I just go with what everybody else is doing and get a computer setup instead?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get results that you're happy with from your current setup?

If so, why change?

The old phrase,"If it ain't broke, don't mend it" springs to mind Smile

I'll be using my Mac & Logic setup, purely because that's how I work....
But that's not to say it would work for you.

Just get your Kronos and see how it goes Cool

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A computer can be used as a DAW and for the Editor. I'd say wait until the Editor is released before you decide. It's supposed to be a nice one, with strong Librarian functions, looking just like the screen itself.

If you're into editing sounds, having 2 simultaneous screens and control panels is great- at each moment you can choose which interface suits you better/is faster/is easier. If you've got a laptop, then you can simply bring it in when you want to do heavy editing.

Randy
ChristianRock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one issue is the cost of tapes. If I get Kronos and don't sell my multitrack setup, I might not have money left for tapes at 150 bucks for 30 minutes worth!

Also, 16 audio tracks isn't really that much. I've managed to make it work so far, so I could continue doing so. But I don't have unlimited resources and I think the Kronos could really help my current weaknesses (drum sounds, sequencing capabilities compared to my Fusion, better pianos, organs and EPs, more variety of synth sounds, etc).

Kronos + computer is out of the question... too big an investment.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- 16 track tape recorder- ouch! Did a lot of work myself with reel-to-reel, glad those days are over!

I believe the biggest limitation/bottleneck is probably that the Kronos only does 4 tracks of simultaneous recording audio recording, and that's using SPIDIF (2) and analog in (2).
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 'middle ground' option that works for me...

That is the D3200... 40Gb hard disk recorder and mixer. Also links with PC desktop via USB for .wav transfer to use in DAW if required, although the D3200 does have its own effects processing.

Comes with internal drum machine (don't use as have ER1 Mk2) and burns track(s) straight to audio CD.

Works for me as I've always multi-tracked with HD recorders. I also set it as the midi clock master so that the O, the T-3, Radias and ER1 are always synched.

It has 32 tracks of realtime recording, 8 mic inputs and 12 audio track inputs - all realtime.

Although no longer produced you can pick great condition items for less than $650/£550 on eBay.

I love it! Does everything I need of it. Only gripe is screen size - it's tiny with the same kind of information as the Kronos! But it works perfectly nonetheless and would only consider swapping out if a new version was released by Korg.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm also going to go with the D3200 + Kronos combination. I'll do all MIDI sequencing on the Kronos, and will record audio in the first instance to the D3200 (and outboard effects; possibly outboard preamps, too). If I run out of tracks on the D3200, then I'll use the Kronos HDR to supplement. All told, that will be more than enough tracks for me: either 64 MIDI + audio at 16 bit, 48 MIDI + audio at 24 bit, or 32 audio at 24 bit. And note also that the later D3200s came with 80GB hard drives...

For anyone considering a D3200, you should know that there is now a third-party product that allows you to add a VGA out to the unit, so that you can view the screen on a standard computer monitor:

http://www.2seemy.com/

Can't wait to have it all set up!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points CfNorENa! Nice to see that I'm not the only one working this way Laughing Have you tried the 2seemy bolt-on? I am not techie so seems a little beyond me...

@ ChristianRock

Should have also added that the D3200 also backs up all tracks to either CD or PC. So even if you go beyond the 80Gb capability, you can archive old songs, delete and start again Cool

Previously I had D1600 which I backed-up and imported into the D3200. It worked flawlessly. Was impressed/astonished with how straightforward it was!
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Motif XS, I also bought the Yammie AW2400 and the Waves Y96K card/fx bundle and they worked beautifully together. Files from the 2400 can be imported into Logic for editing, but in the end it was simpler just to sync the XS with Logic (not that simple initially as I recall) and record directly to the Mac.

In any case, it's still a nice way to work quickly and efficiently, with 24 tracks running thru what's essentially the 096R mixer environment, plenty of hands on controls, jog wheel, flying faders, automation, and the brilliant Waves bundle onboard. I still have the 2400 set up in my living room and it's great for banging out ideas. I think you guys will enjoy the workflow with your Kronos/D3200 setups Very Happy
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Good points CfNorENa! Nice to see that I'm not the only one working this way Laughing Have you tried the 2seemy bolt-on? I am not techie so seems a little beyond me...

Haven't tried it yet; in fact, I still have to sell my D888 so that I can fund a D3200! But from everything I've read, it's dead easy to install. Which is good, because I am also very far from being a tech guy!
Gribs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CR you know you want a Kronos Wink

From a computer-based DAW pov the Kronos (and M3) sequencers remind me more of a "tracker" program like ReNoise, though the analogy is not perfect. I am thinking in terms of the up-down scrolling to edit MIDI. I am looking forward to moving back and forth from Kronos to a DAW, or at least trying it and hoping it will work for me. You can take a look at the video tutorial that RichF posted and at the manuals online. You really have 32 tracks: 16 MIDI and 16 audio.
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the kit simply mirrors the 3200's screen... You could perch a cheap webcam on a mic stand above the 3200's display. Works for me - has to as there is no VGA kit for the 2400.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
Looks like the kit simply mirrors the 3200's screen... You could perch a cheap webcam on a mic stand above the 3200's display. Works for me - has to as there is no VGA kit for the 2400.

Yes, the kit simply makes it possible to display the D3200 screen on a computer monitor. I'm guessing 99% of users would prefer that to a webcam. Does your solution really work well?
jamsire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
Yup, I'm also going to go with the D3200 + Kronos combination. I'll do all MIDI sequencing on the Kronos, and will record audio in the first instance to the D3200 (and outboard effects; possibly outboard preamps, too). If I run out of tracks on the D3200, then I'll use the Kronos HDR to supplement. All told, that will be more than enough tracks for me: either 64 MIDI + audio at 16 bit, 48 MIDI + audio at 24 bit, or 32 audio at 24 bit. And note also that the later D3200s came with 80GB hard drives...

For anyone considering a D3200, you should know that there is now a third-party product that allows you to add a VGA out to the unit, so that you can view the screen on a standard computer monitor:

http://www.2seemy.com/

Can't wait to have it all set up!

I'm with you on this setup! I use the D3200 for live recording at the college, but my main setup is PC based with a TASCAM DM4800 as my console. The external monitor attachment is awesome because it works for both the TASCAM and D3200.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D3200 sounds about as cheap, painless and straightforward a recording solution as I've heard. Apparently Korg did a lot of things right with it. That would be cool to have a Kronos Studio version with the better part of a D3200 built in, eh?

Would love to hear more about its qualities as a mixer (quality of preamps, converters) and its ability to sync with MTC? Would the D3200 be the master? Is sync instantaneous? Good channel strip eq?

Some of the new (and pricy) digital consoles like the Presonus StudioLive sound amazing: fantastic quality, dead simple, channel strip functionality so you have lots of hands on control for whatever channel you're working on, lots of high quality fx, etc. But they start around $2k, and of course you need to hook it up to a computer to use its recording capabilities.

Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: