Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mymusic42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently Reply with quote

So I finally heard a Kronos at my local music store.

Maybe I didn't understand STS correctly, but I was suprised that if I played a sound, held the sustain pedal, and then switched sounds--the sound didn't always sustain. The wierd thing is that sometimes it DID sustain.

Is this by design? If so, what is it that causes it to sustain or not sustain?

I got this behaviour going from (for example)
I B 19 Standard E Piano to I B 30 Tiny Tine Piano

Not sure if it matters, but I was in the view where you view all the sounds (browser mode?)

It is not the end of the world, but I'd like to understand why this happens
rob314159

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you move from one sound to the other? Did you just press the button on the touch screen? I did notice that if I used the data wheel to switch between sounds sometimes when I'd try to move by one, I'd actually move by two, which would effectively cancel out the sustain from the 1st sound - since I believe you can play sound A, then hold A while switching to B, but if you then switch to C if A was still sounding, then A would stop.
mymusic42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was pressing the screen to move from sound to sound. sometimes the sustain would stay, sometimes it would not.
JimH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Kronos yet to try it, but the sounds may be cutting out due to a short Hold Time setting. Each slot in a Set List has an associated setting called Hold Time where you can tell it how long it takes a sound to fade out if you've switched sounds. The hold time starts when you release the keys. So if you're only sustaining by using the pedal and if there's a short hold time, it might sound like it's cutting off.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fantom only has patch remain in live mode and not in single mode..which is quite rational.. to conver to Korg speak this would say STS may only work in combi mode not prog mode.
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic38 wrote:
the fantom only has patch remain in live mode and not in single mode..which is quite rational.. to conver to Korg speak this would say STS may only work in combi mode not prog mode.

I dont understand this logic - did Korg use the Roland development team to write the software????

Not sure you can assume that the specification of this function on the Kronos is the same as that on the Fantom...(Dan, Rich - have you been disassmbling Roland code????)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been stated a number of times that it should work in any mode. as for the reason its not working 100% for you, I don't know...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
I got this behaviour going from (for example)
I B 19 Standard E Piano to I B 30 Tiny Tine Piano

Not sure if it matters, but I was in the view where you view all the sounds (browser mode?)

It is not the end of the world, but I'd like to understand why this happens

Thanks for your report. I've been looking into this today, and the reason this happens is that the KARMA GE in use by that program (even though it is turned off at the time) uses CC#64 Damper pedal as part of the CC control patterns, and it is incorrectly sending out a damper off. I've just fixed this, and it will be in an upcoming release of the OS. I'm sorry we did not catch this earlier.

In general, SST should work across all programs. So in this case, it's related to which KARMA GE is selected. Not so many GEs use CC64 damper as one of the Control Patterns, so you won't encounter this often, and in any case, it has been fixed.

EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Thanks for your report. I've been looking into this today [...] I've just fixed this, and it will be in an upcoming release of the OS.

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay that sounds hard to find, was it?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
StephenKay that sounds hard to find, was it?

Actually, really it wasn't. Since it works with most GEs, and a few GEs cause it to not work, and changing the GE to a different one made the problem go away, it was pretty easy to examine what is the difference. I'm frankly surprised that with all of the testing this went through (and there was a LOT of QC), that nobody, including myself, came across that situation previously. Sorry about that. Wink

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic38 wrote:

Just to set the record straight, the Fantom's patch remain works in both single and live mode.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes Bill you are right..i should have said "not really works"..

technically does it work? yes.. effectively and usefully? no. as you cannot scroll and select a second patch in single mode without the original breaking up as you scroll.. this is NBD as live/studio are the main operating modes.

@rkfan

sorry for trying to help, but there is no need to fault sound logic...nor snipe.

prog/single mode is rarely used in any type of real performance situation as there are specific modes for that regardless of the synth manufacturer... and therefore live switching/STS is not necessary in those "single patch/program/voice" modes ...the fact that STS operates in prog mode on the kronos is a bonus, not a requirement IMO...

BillW wrote:
Mystic38 wrote:

Just to set the record straight, the Fantom's patch remain works in both single and live mode.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
mymusic42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this and resolving it.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Thanks for your report. I've been looking into this today, and the reason this happens is that the KARMA GE in use by that program (even though it is turned off at the time) uses CC#64 Damper pedal as part of the CC control patterns, and it is incorrectly sending out a damper off. I've just fixed this, and it will be in an upcoming release of the OS. I'm sorry we did not catch this earlier.

In general, SST should work across all programs. So in this case, it's related to which KARMA GE is selected. Not so many GEs use CC64 damper as one of the Control Patterns, so you won't encounter this often, and in any case, it has been fixed.

I'm finding this more and more frequent as I audition Combi's. Some combi's that utilize Karma will hang when going to the next patch. I have to depress the sustain pedal and release it for the notes to stop.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: