Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V-Synth GT....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: V-Synth GT.... Reply with quote

to go with my K88?

Just asking because the opportunity has come up to buy one pretty cheaply! I've never played a V-Synth and have only heard a few snippets on the web, so just wondering if anyone thinks this would compliment the K well.
Some off the things I've heard have sounded pretty good! Going to go and play it over the weekend, but interested in other opinions...
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tested a V-synth before. But I think it is an interesting instrument. But I will share my opinion based on what I know of it. To me it's more of a Live instrument, I don't know if you will use it live or studio or both. But it's priority is keyboard splits instead of regular multitimbrality.

To me it has very interesting sample articulation manipulation not present in Kronos. It also have the D-beam and XY pad for live sound manipulation. But It's getting old, sample rates and sounds might not be up to date compared to a Kronos but still good.

I would think it compliments Kronos pretty well since it has different sound and synthesis techniques.

This is my impression. Any answer is better the no answer. Smile
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an XT, and I think that it is going to compliment very well indeed.....

Time warping stuff is truly amazing....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original V-Synth. It is very warm, fat, and Roland sounding...hope that helps.
sodapop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mint V-synth is one of three boards I had to sell to fund my pre-order 73 key Kronos. I would love to have mine back as it would be great with the Kronos. I see it as fantastic to experiment with sounds. The GT is even better. Like a hot rod to go with the new game changer.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodapop wrote:
The GT is even better.

Unfortunately, the VC-1 card was no more an option Evil or Very Mad
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence my getting the XT Smile
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GT, for long time, i had the original V-Synth too, i would never sell
it or trade it for anything, it is his own world, i cant be compared to Kronos,
it does other things which Kronos cant do and in my opinion it is not a live
Synth nor can do much live, this is an Experimental Synth.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - it's a great bit of kit, and tbh, for various logisitical reasons, I've struggled to use it as much as I could , but for the price I paid (50% off a brand new item with warranty), it was too good an opportunity to turn down.

It IS a monster for experimental sounds, and I have used it in a couple of productions, but not even close to stretching it's abilities.

Live work could be good fun with it, but imho, it's too good to take out on the road.

Mine takes pride of place (at work height) in my rack Cool

(the keyboard extensions are ready for Kronos Laughing
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V synth series are one of the most exciting and fresh synths in the past decade,I use them to great extent,and got both a GT and an XT,the Vocal modelling is just phenomal and I use them a lot for sample mangling,I bought the XT to replace my aging D50s(outputs had become noisy)can't beleive how great this emulation is(although would say its more like a clone than emulating the D50 its that close)plus I can still load in my old D50 sounds I made Wink .The synths are great for washes/Pads and any atmospheric type music and probably the go to synth in the studio hence why I have 2

Really love the Vocal designer as it goes far and beyond your normal vocoding, just wish Roland would have upped the polyphony,on the V series especially more so with the GT as when your layering pads with the 2 voice structure you can soon run out of notes Easily.

Also use the filterbanks a lot for filtering drums,there also a great Audio processing tool running through the COSM effects.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the V-Synth is excellent. In fact, if you have the Kronos and the V-Synth, you should need no other synth the coming couple of hundred years Wink
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I borrowed it for a few weeks and have ended up buying it, got a great price, love the synth and I think it will work great with the K....when it arrives!
In fact learning the GT is the only thing stopping me from going slightly nuts during the long wait......!!!
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a V-synth and sold it to buy a GT.

never sold a V-synth if you have any!
It is one of the most interesting and experimental keyboard that has been produced in the last years. and also the last good synth (meaning something thought for deep programming) done by roland
it sounds extremely goods both in analog emulation, in lush pad or weird drone and it is a breeze to program.

the GT offers the Articulate Synthesis that allows to impose over a given sound the characteristic of real instrument such as strings or brass or flute... and this create very expressive and also strange sounds.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a few weeks ago and would say you aren't going to go wrong with a V-synth. It is incredibly fun to use for solos and has an intuitive layout that makes it relatively easy to understand. It is also a versatile tool for creating sounds, vocoding and manipulating samples.

keyplayer14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
It is also a versatile tool for creating sounds, vocoding and manipulating samples.

Well yes. I have to say I didn't take to it straight away, and wasn't keen on a lot of the factory patches - but when you start to dig into it, it becomes a lot of fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: