Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z1 sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Z1 sounds Reply with quote

I understand that the Kronos is much more advanced technology than the Z1, so shouldn't it be able to make good wind sounds like the Z1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1mQynuU3SM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And although there is another thread talking about comparisons with the v-synth, will the Kronos be able to get close to these sounds and how?(What engine?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWyANFpK1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z1 uses the MOSS physical modeling synth engine... That's not one of the 9 synth engines in the Kronos. That engine was featured in the Z1 and Prophecy, and was an expansion for the Trinity, Triton, KARMA, and Triton Extreme. It's pretty much been abandoned, and i think Yamaha owns the rights to the technology, so I don't think Korg will be doing anything with it anytime soon.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Z1 and use it with the Oasys. The brass sounds on the Z1 are modelled and superior to the Oasys/Kronos sample brass. Korg have not, according to Dan, had time to work on Brass/Wind/Reed model. This doesnt mean they will deliver this model either.

As for str1 cx3 etc on the Oas/Kron there have been marked improvments in these models compared to Z1. Although, I wonder why the guitars of Str1, in comparison to the Flamenco Guitar I've heard on the Jupiter 80 are inferior.

The example currently of the flamenco guitar on the JP80 is superior in many ways to Korgs str1 pluck guitars. Just do a youtube search for the latest Japanese JP 80 demo's and you will understand why. The JP80 modelled guitar is superior significantly-in My opinion Smile I'm at work i cant attached a link-sorry

I'm interested in other people's oppinion on this. Am i wrong? Please advise Smile

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaha do not own the rights to this....korg have it there in thier top desk draw just requiring someone with some spare time to start working on for their new technology synths.

I believe some of the more advanced pc/synth guys here have said there is room and ability to add more EXi's to the Kronos.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm aware of all this I was really just wondering If the Kronos could come close to these sounds.

Thanks for the feedback though
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
yamaha do not own the rights to this....

MOSS? yes they do. Korg Licenses it.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
I own a Z1 and use it with the Oasys. The brass sounds on the Z1 are modelled and superior to the Oasys/Kronos sample brass.

I know you mentioned this before, but I have to say that the MOSS board in my Karma is essentially the same thing as the Z1, and the MOSS brass patches sound rather limp to me. They do articulate wonderfully, and I haven't taken the time to program them to work with a Yamaha synth with breath control like someone here has - perhaps Basari? But to me, the straight sound isn't very good compared to any sampled sound. In fact, Yamaha's physical modeling synthesis sounds much better to me.

The Jupiter-80 uses samples being manipulated by Roland's SuperNatural articulation algorithms, which are rather like Yamaha's but much deeper. The Kronos' STR-1 model is purely synthetic, and it does have a hint of an artificial sound to it. But being a model, it has characteristics of an object, like FM synthesis provides, and these have other advantages which samples don't, such as realistically generating more harmonics with harder playing. Samples do tend to sound a little more real since they are recordings of actual instruments, but I'd have to experience this for myself before I hold one above the other.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
billysynth1 wrote:
yamaha do not own the rights to this....

MOSS? yes they do. Korg Licenses it.

It's more complicated than that. See:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=392250#392250
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those v-synth sounds? Will the Kronos come close to that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: