Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos goes to band practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Kronos goes to band practice Reply with quote

Well, I hauled the Kronos 61 to band practice tonight and put it on top of my Fantom G6. It'll take me months to get all of our songs programmed into it, but I was able to use it for Carry on Wayward Son and Pink Floyd's Time (plus I used the CX-3 sounds on a handful of other songs). I ran the outputs of the Kronos through the Fantom's audio inputs and into a PA in stereo.

The Floyd sounded absolutely fabulous. For the verses and first part of the guitar solo, I dialed in a Wurly patch with a little distortion. For the choruses and 2nd bit of the guitar solo, I created a massive combi that had Mellotron strings & Mellotron choir (both with generous reverb) combined with another pad on the right hand and a phat-assed Taurus bass sound combined with a low string part in the left. I programmed the Taurus in AL-1 in about 5 minutes last weekend and it was shaking the walls. For the Breathe Reprise part, I used a Rhodes and then a Rhodes split with the CX-3 engine.

At the end of practice, we had a freeform jam where I got to show off several off the EP-1 sounds. Then I amused my bandmates with some of the sound effects patches.

The only issue I had was that the organ couldn't be heard as well when the Leslie slim was at chorale speed. I need to figure that one out.

Otherwise, this thing rocks....very nice sound...very clear, clean, punchy and full. I can't wait to get this to a show! Kudos to Korg for delivering the goods!
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 'live in a band' review Smile
Glad to read it sounded great.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear - I've got a nearly 40 songs to program into it when mine turns up...... and I can't wait.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CX3 would be one of the reasons to switch to a Kronos.

Btw, I will also be using it for band rehearsals mainly.

Btw, we also play Carry on Wayward Son Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/

Last edited by michelkeijzers on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

We'd love to hear some snippets of the sounds that you are using for the Floyd. Sounds cool!

Chris
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
Very cool!

We'd love to hear some snippets of the sounds that you are using for the Floyd. Sounds cool!

Chris

I'm guessing Sharp will eventually create a "download" section for the Kronos. I'd be happy to share some programs & combis there. I will need to create a lot of HD-1 and AL-1 sounds for the 80s stuff we play.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for the news, I look forward to using the Kronos with my Fantom G

What sound system do you use with the band?
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
Excellent, thanks for the news, I look forward to using the Kronos with my Fantom G

What sound system do you use with the band?

We practice at the guitarist's house and he's got a couple of racks worth of stuff plus speakers mounted around the room...I've never looked very closely at any of it. The PA is above average in terms of quality though.

The Kronos will eventually totally replace the Fantom, but it's gonna take me forever to get all of those patches, samples and combis assembled. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: