Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Piano / EPiano vs Pianoteq?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArminH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Kronos Piano / EPiano vs Pianoteq? Reply with quote

For the ones owning both a Kronos and the Pianoteq SW - which one sounds better, any comments welcome.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard of SGX-1, Kronos doesn't do sympathetic resonance like Pianoteq. In fact, I heard none at all (hint to Korg - "damper resonance" is not the same thing as "sympathetic resonance" Smile).

Also, 8 velocity layers on SGX-1 compared to no velocity layers on Pianoteq. Wink

While SGX-1 does sound good, I would still prefer Pianoteq for any delicate or extensive/demanding/expressive solo piano piece.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the demo I tried Pianoteq sounds very artificial. It doesn't sound anywhere near a real piano - but neither does the Kronos. The Pianoteq is missing so much of what you hear in a real piano - but the response is pretty decent.

In fact, most of the piano libraries take out much of what makes a piano sound like a piano (when you are playing it), and leaves you with a very pure sound that is nothing like what a piano sounds like when you are sitting and playing it.
ArminH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main things I want is a great Piano sound. I have used a lot of hardware synth and soft-synth libs.

Some years ago I tried an older version of Pianoteq and compared it to my Native Instruments Akustik Piano lib - and the NI one won.

While waiting for the Kronos - and being told that the 88 Key version will be here (in Germany) by October, I found again Pianoteq and bought the latest version and Yamaha piano upgrade.

...and really love it!

It sounds best for my needs to get the closest 'piano next to me feeling' when I use the Yamaha Piano 'Studio Player' preset and the Reverb 'chamber - player' preset.

Since the Kronos has a Yamaha Piano as well I wonder if it sounds as nice as the Pianoteq or even better.

If anybody with both (Pianoteq and Kronos) could create a comparison mp3 - I would love it.

Another sound I want is a Spinet - since I sold my real Spinet last month. And after I found that the Pianoteq included a free Spinet I gave it a try:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10745030
(simple random playing)

Are there any Spinet sounds in the Kronos and how does it sound?

(Sorry for my English - I am not a native speaker)
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
The Pianoteq is missing so much of what you hear in a real piano

Like what? Chair creaks? Finger noises? Smile When was the last time you've demoed Pianoteq? v2? That's not very good, I agree. However, v4 is in making, just so you know. And it's gonna blow everything else out of water.

Come on - everything is there: sympathetic resonances, duplex resonances, harp resonances, pedal noises, proper una-corda (and not just a lowpass filter), proper recreation of the sound when hitting an already vibrating string, etc., etc.

Bass is strong and powerful, treble is really PERFECT (I'm loving this in K1 model). It sounds leagues better than any sampled piano. And the response is EXACTLY like on a real piano - but make sure you adapt the velocity curves to your MIDI controller. That's the first error every person demoing Pianoteq makes. The next error is - taking Pianoteq for granted, as a preset player. Hell no, TWEAK IT! Microphone placement is extremely important, and changes the sound drastically, in a lot of cases for the better. If it sounds too "twangy" for you, change the hammer hardness, change the initial 8 harmonics, you have an EQ in there, TWEAK IT!

In the Pro version you can individually tweak physical parameters for each damn key. That's better than on a V-Piano. And sounds better than a V-Piano, too, for heck of a lot less money.

Armin - update Pianoteq to latest version and check out the K1 model Wink It is, IMHO, the best Pianoteq model to date (minus the ones I'm beta-testing right now).

aron - go to Pianoteq's page and listen to all demos by J. Felice (Witches Dance and Alborada del Gracioso especially). Exquisite playing, and a great piano sound to boot! Wink Any sampled piano can only dream of being so expressive and detailed-sounding.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CP1 setup in the same room as my Shigeru SK5. I run Pianoteq too. I think the Pianoteq sounds really good but there is no comparison to the SK5. There is no doubt that PT can be used to create a very musical and playable setup. It can even sound transparent when used in ensemble settings and certain recordings. Nevertheless playing any digital piano after playing the SK5 leaves you with an instant reality check regarding the limits of digitals.

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHIGERU KAWAI!!!!

You, sir, are my instant idol! Embarassed I love how those sound! I had experience with Bösendorfers, and they remain the best pianos for me currently... until I manage to make my dream come true and try a Shigeru!
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
SHIGERU KAWAI!!!!

You, sir, are my instant idol! Embarassed I love how those sound! I had experience with Bösendorfers, and they remain the best pianos for me currently... until I manage to make my dream come true and try a Shigeru!

I played a Bosendorfer many years as a child. My teacher was a concert pianist and used one at her home. Incredible pianos. I love the tone of several pianos but the Shigeru action is perfection.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some videos available, that would be most appreciated! Smile

Oh, and seeing your post count - welcome aboard! Wink
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
If you have some videos available, that would be most appreciated! Smile

Oh, and seeing your post count - welcome aboard! Wink

Thank you. No videos but hopefully when the Kronos gets here I can use it for some recording.
ArminH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

Armin - update Pianoteq to latest version and check out the K1 model Wink It is, IMHO, the best Pianoteq model to date (minus the ones I'm beta-testing right now).

I checked it but I prefer the Yamaha one.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and please share your comparison thoughts when you get the Kronos: the Kawai, the CP-1 and the K88!

What is special about the Kawai? My only experience with their grands/uprights (years ago) were all on the clunky side. I take it this one sounds very good?

And being the CP-1 is one of the highest regarded digital pianos, both for action, sound and playability- how would you compare the playing experience, sound, finger-to-sound connection, satisfaction, etc.? You stated your conclusion, but not all the particulars. This is becoming more and more of a valid question as the quality of digital pianos and soft pianos attain higher and higher quality.

Do you have a super high quality playback system so that the digital pianos have a reasonably even playing field to compare to a real piano?

Thanks,
Randy
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shigeru Kawai is NOT a regular Kawai. Read up a bit, Google helps Smile

The last Kawai upright that I've played was VERY good!
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy,

Kawai pianos in general are pretty highly regarded these days but the Shigeru Kawai is regarded as one of the finest pianos available and is used on stages and competitions. Only about 100 are built a year with the finest materials and by the most skilled artisans. I sold my Steinway to get one.

The CP1 is a great instrument. The action is really responsive and easy to play. The EP section is truly exceptional and the pianos are great for live sounds. I think a modeled piano like PT is better suited for recording and might offer more realism in a home or studio environment but Yamaha products always sound great live and the CP1 pianos are no exception. I would almost keep the CP1 for the action and EP section alone but the EPs on the Kronos sounded excellent and the action was acceptable.

When it comes to comparing the experience of playing my CP1 or PT v. the Shigeru, I have to state again that there is no comparison. The action on the Shigeru is my favorite piano action. It truly is perfect. The tones generated by the piano and the way those sounds are delivered by the acoustic instrument just can't be replicated by digital pianos and speaker systems. The Yamaha N3 tries to replicate the experience through using a multichannel approach. It is a nice step in the right direction but it definitely falls short.

I currently use Mackie HR824 MKIIs but also use Dynaudio monitors. I have also run my systems through my Eggleston speakers. I use AKG k271 studios for headphones when I need privacy.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Come on - everything is there: sympathetic resonances, duplex resonances, harp resonances, pedal noises, proper una-corda (and not just a lowpass filter), proper recreation of the sound when hitting an already vibrating string, etc., etc.

WOW, I heard nothing of that stuff. Maybe something's wrong on the demo on my system?

I will try it again - how much power does it require to sound good? I'm using an 8 processor Mac Pro - but I only have 6 gig of memory.

Really, the demo software doesn't sound that good on my system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: