Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW, wow WOW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: WOW, wow WOW Reply with quote

OK, I finally had the chance to plug the Kronos into my system. Last night I just listened through headphones.

It's just incredible. If the OASYS sounds like this, then I've been missing out big time.

This keyboard is ridiculous. I'm tweaking and LOVING the UI. I got a great Rhodes sound fast. Intuitive. The DX7 layers that I had to work so hard to get on my Kurzweil are here. The pads are smooth and how I always wanted a keyboard to sound.

The piano? GREAT. Tweaking the settings produced a piano that I am happy with. I didn't have to go and edit every single layer and EQ and work tirelessly tweaking. I got it fast and it sounds great.

The actual keyboard action is nice.

The response is fast - no lag right now.

The tone is pure, clear, fat. If this is a sign of things to come, the keyboard is back! Thanks everyone at Korg!
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me even more confident preordering Kronos Smile
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more like it!

And yes - this is how virtually all OASYS owners have felt for the past 5 years.

Enjoy your amazing new keyboard. It doesn't get better (from other manufacturers, that is, but it only get better in front of the Kronos)

Kevin.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something i noticed: Aftertouch is far better on kronos than on oasys, very smooth, the keyboard action is great even if it's under a virus ti from my point of view.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, the board is awesome
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am glad everyone is enjoying the board. I've never messed with Oasys- keyboard or PCI. I've had 2 Korg workstations previously and loved them all. For me, it was the fact that each new workstation seems to add sounds and features cumulatively so you're never having to start over.
I very confidently sold my Triton Extreme (61) and never looked back since I knew this would do everything and more.
The organs on this workstation are nothing short of incredible! I love being able to make a dirty, clicky beast with about 5 key presses!!
Don't even get me started on the (massively) polyphonic MS-20!!

Keep on rockin' and knob-twiddlin'!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little programmer's tip:

Having the smoother function in the AMS Mixer is a wonderful tool for shaping the response of controls like aftertouch and the ribbon. You'll find it used often to help shape the response, both for the attack and the release. For example, I like to use it on the ribbon to slow up the decay or when I let go of the ribbon, so the value doesn't jump right back to 000. It's like slowly releasing your finger from the key of a piano without having to think of the gesture. Very musical.

The aftertouch on the M3 and now the Kronos is the best Korg has ever done, but a little use of the AMS Smoother can help to make it even more "personal" for your touch.

Just assign aftertouch to the smoothing function in an AMS Mixer, and then assign that AMS mixer as the mod source in place of where you would have used aftertouch. Voila.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrythek on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice tip jerry, thanx
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.K.A lowpass(a,b) FUN on Kurzweil.

Very useful.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
A.K.A lowpass(a,b) FUN on Kurzweil.

Very useful.

Note that while the lowpass FUN has a single constant, AMS Smoothing provides separate control over the amount of filtering during the attack (when the input value is increasing) and the decay (when the input value is decreasing).
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also very useful! Smile
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I love the interface. It doesn't take me long to find what I need and the parameters are easy to tweak to get a desired sound.

Good work guys!
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Note that while the lowpass FUN has a single constant, AMS Smoothing provides separate control over the amount of filtering during the attack (when the input value is increasing) and the decay (when the input value is decreasing).

I was wondering about that very thing, Dan. As a guy who's owned the M3 for almost four years, I've barely gone halfway into the pool so to speak, as far as programming goes. It seems it's going to take a lifetime to really get to know The K inside and out, so I'm going to be keenly eyeing this board and the Karma Labs forum for some serious schooling when I finally get mine.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was describing the Kronos to my friend, I realized how deep and powerful this machine is. I think it's a keyboard that can be relevant for the next 5 years easily.

I think the only reason I would want to upgrade is for more polyphony. Otherwise, it's just done so well and sound is incredible.

One wish I would have is that there would be a very direct way to assign knobs and sliders to parameters. Something like triple-click on an any knob or parameters on the screen, then turn the real physical knob. Done.
nowtime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first session with the K had me greatly disappointed. Where's the octave button? Wow, is that type really that small? What is that loud kik thump on the fIrst note of playing some combi's (same problem on my Trex)? This fan is really loud! (I think it is damaged, am sending it back). Did Korg really include these horrid sounding 1990's presets in the preloaded showcase Set List?

And then....

AND THEN..........

session 2: OMG!! this is the bestest funnest keyboard I've ever played in my life! Somehow even more than my Virus Ti2. I began to discover more than I could ever hope for in piano, epiano, and drums! (OMG the drums!) and pads.

And the vector joystick is a TRUE JOY. That and the knobs and sliders make this the most expressive instrument I've ever played.

And Set List is a dream.

Thank you Korg. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: