Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CX3 Interface Messed Up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: CX3 Interface Messed Up Reply with quote

One of the main reasons I wanted the Kronos was to replace my 38 pound CX3 with a 28 pound CX3 that could do things besides organ. But so far, it's a bit frustrating.

First, the manual is wrong (or, at least, Set List patch 4, the organ on the first page, does not use the default knob and switch assignments). So that was messing me up for a while. (Knob 4 is overtone, not noise level as shown in the manual; Knob 5 is key click, not leakage; and the functions of switches 2 and 3 are reversed, as to which one does percussion fast/slow and which does percussion loud/soft).

Second, the function of the buttons is sometimes counter-intuitive. For example, switch #1 is percussion on/off. Well, when it's lit up percussion is off, and when the light is off, the percussion is on!

The next button is percussion soft/loud, and I have no idea yet whether lit means "soft" or "loud". In the default organ patch, soft and loud are so close to each other in volume that, if you repeatedly hit a single note with nothing but percussion on, the volume seems to change more based on where you are in the Leslie cycle than on which position this button is in.

I tried to figure out whether lighting this button made it soft or loud by looking at the Control Surface. Well, the field that says "Perc Soft/Loud" is displayed with a status button that simply says On or Off, mirroring the setting of the light in the physical button. Since the options are Soft and Loud, it would be nice if the button said Soft or Loud instead of On or Off. If they can't do that, then maybe the heading should be just "Perc Soft" or "Perc Loud" so you know which of those two things you're turning on or off.

As an aside, the small type and the font selected mean that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between the words "On" and "Off." So you'd better remember that On is Red and Off is Green (also the opposite of my intuition, since to me, Red=Stop=Disabled=Off and Green=Go=Enabled=On).

On to the next button. Percussion Decay is short when lit. That's okay, but again the Control Surface is confusing, if you're trying to figure that out, because on the screen the button is called Perc Decay with the possible parameters, again, On and Off (rather than Short and Long). Logically, how are you supposed to know whether turning Perc Decay "On" sets it to Short or Long? You're supposed to intuit that Off-Long and On-Short. Similarly, the last button is labeled Perc 2nd/3rd but when you toggle it, instead of displaying "2nd" or "3rd" in the button, it again displays "On" or "Off." You're supposed to intuit that Off=2nd and On=3rd. There had to be a better way to label these things, whether in the headings or inside the buttons.

Overall, the organ feels like it triggers a little too deep to me... and it turns out that, unlike a "real" CX3, there is no option to change it to a shallow trigger (or at least I couldn't find it).

Lastly, I'd rather the endcaps weren't so high at the end of the keyboard. Based on the real CX3 and real Hammonds, I'm used to some blank space above the high C without running into a solid barrier. I appreciate that they didn't want to make the piece any wider than necessary, but maybe they could have shaped the endcap so it didn't protrude above the keys all the way to the front. With common organ gliss/palm techniques, I can see uncomfortably banging into it. (I don't mind that the keys are not waterfall... though I do think the original digital CX3 keys probably had a better organ feel, and they weren't waterfall either.)

Anyway, it's a little disappointing because of how many little things could clearly have been better with just a little thought. But I expect I'll make it work. And maybe some of this can be addressed in a software upgrade...? Okay, not the endcap... Wink
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I think you may benefit from spending more time in the actual programming pages of the CX3 in order to set things up the way you want them. You'll find all the parameters you're used to in the old CX3, just more of them visible on the screen at once.

The Tone Adjust part of the control panel has to look the same for every program, no matter what the engine. But in the real programming pages, you can set things up, so that, for example, sw1 lit means that perc is on. Then, set the actual levels of soft and loud percussion so that they suit you and the button makes a real difference on that particular program.

It means editing many of the sounds over time to suit your needs, but ultimately, I suspect you'll be rewarded.

jg::
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: CX3 Interface Messed Up Reply with quote

You're absolutely right that a couple of the Tone Adjust default settings shown in version 1 of the Parameter Guide were not correct. This was fixed in version 2, which can be downloaded from korg.com/kronos.

Quote:
Second, the function of the buttons is sometimes counter-intuitive. For example, switch #1 is percussion on/off. Well, when it's lit up percussion is off, and when the light is off, the percussion is on!

That can certainly happen if something else is modulating percussion on/off - such as the front-panel SW2 in this case. Barring that, however, the Tone Adjust perc button is on when it's on, and off when it's off.

Quote:
The next button is percussion soft/loud, and I have no idea yet whether lit means "soft" or "loud".

The values for all of the switches (Soft/Loud, Fast/Slow, 2nd/3rd) are displayed on the control surface, underneath the button icons. Looking at this today, however, the text appears to be too dim. I've filed a bug about this.

Quote:
Overall, the organ feels like it triggers a little too deep to me... and it turns out that, unlike a "real" CX3, there is no option to change it to a shallow trigger (or at least I couldn't find it).

For that, you'd need a different kind of physical keyboard mechanism, I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CX3 Interface Messed Up Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Quote:
the function of the buttons is sometimes counter-intuitive. For example, switch #1 is percussion on/off. Well, when it's lit up percussion is off, and when the light is off, the percussion is on!

That can certainly happen if something else is modulating percussion on/off - such as the front-panel SW2 in this case. Barring that, however, the Tone Adjust perc button is on when it's on, and off when it's off.

Thanks for that explanation. Too bad you can't keep the lights of the two buttons assigned to the same function in sync with each other. Anyway, though I understand your explanation, I think it does make things disorienting, especially when you're first trying to figure out how to get around on the board. I'd have preferred that especially the "featured demo" patches (i.e. what comes up in the default set list) didn't use "non-standard" mapping. It may be cool that the buttons can be reassigned like that, but it didn't occur to me to hit those buttons for percussion (how would I have known?), so all I saw was that the "standard" organ controls I had looked up didn't seem to work right. FWIW...

danatkorg wrote:
The values for all of the switches (Soft/Loud, Fast/Slow, 2nd/3rd) are displayed on the control surface, underneath the button icons. Looking at this today, however, the text appears to be too dim. I've filed a bug about this.

Ah, yes, there they are! You have to look from directly above. I have the Kronos as the top of my two-tier setup, and when working on it from that angle, those additional legends are completely invisible. I'm glad I brought something useful to your attention and hope they address it.

danatkorg wrote:
Quote:
Overall, the organ feels like it triggers a little too deep to me... and it turns out that, unlike a "real" CX3, there is no option to change it to a shallow trigger

For that, you'd need a different kind of physical keyboard mechanism, I'm afraid.

I'm surprised. As I understand it, there are two sensors under each key... one near the top of the travel, and one near the bottom. Normally, sound is triggered by the bottom one, at the velocity determined by the time it took for the key to travel from the top sensor to the bottom one. That being the case, the system "knows" when the top sensor is crossed, right? So for shallow trigger, the same mechanism theoretically works... the software just has to trigger the sound at the first sensor instead of the second (the tradeoff being that you lose the ability to sense velocity, but that's not used for organ anyway). Is there some reason this is technically impossible to implement on the Kronos?

Anyway, thanks for the helpful feedback... and here is one more complaint about the organ interface. The joystick is well positioned to simulate the "half-moon" leslie function of swipe left to slow, swipe right to speed it up... but instead you have to make an unnatural swipe UP to change speed. To add insult to injury, it's not like the left-right axis was needed for something else... moving the stick left or right does nothing!! I assume this function can be edited easily enough, but again, from an interface perspective, this seemed kinda screwy to me...
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Thanks for all of your detailed comments.

Scott wrote:
Too bad you can't keep the lights of the two buttons assigned to the same function in sync with each other.

I understand that this may be a subtle point, but the two buttons actually have different functions.

The Tone Adjust button - the one on the control surface - mirrors the internal parameter, and those two *are* the same, and *do* stay in sync as you'd expect.

SW2, on the other hand, modulates the internal parameter; when it's on, it inverts the stored value. However, that same SW2 can also be modulating other parameters at the same time. For instance, it could turn on percussion while also turning off the vibrato/chorus and modulating the attack time of an envelope in a layered PolysixEX. So, it can't always reflect the internal states of all the different parameters that it modulates. The result can be a bit complicated, as you've found, but also very handy for realtime control.

Scott wrote:
It may be cool that the buttons can be reassigned like that, but it didn't occur to me to hit those buttons for percussion (how would I have known?), so all I saw was that the "standard" organ controls I had looked up didn't seem to work right. FWIW...

This is a reasonable point, I agree. It might be helpful to check out the Slot comments in the factory Set List; for this Organ sound, these include the SW1/2 assignments, along with other important modulation routings. You'll find similar info in the comments for most of the other Set List slots, as well.

Scott wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Quote:
Overall, the organ feels like it triggers a little too deep to me... and it turns out that, unlike a "real" CX3, there is no option to change it to a shallow trigger

I'm surprised. As I understand it, there are two sensors under each key...

You're absolutely right; I was thinking about how to do it while maintaining velocity sensing, but without that requirement, it would technically be possible. I can't make any guarantees about implementing that, however.

Scott wrote:
Anyway, thanks for the helpful feedback... and here is one more complaint about the organ interface. The joystick is well positioned to simulate the "half-moon" leslie function of swipe left to slow, swipe right to speed it up... but instead you have to make an unnatural swipe UP to change speed. To add insult to injury, it's not like the left-right axis was needed for something else... moving the stick left or right does nothing!! I assume this function can be edited easily enough, but again, from an interface perspective, this seemed kinda screwy to me...

You can certainly re-assign the control as desired, including to the pitch bend axis (though it will still be a single gesture for switching between the two states, as opposed to left for slow and right for fast).

As far as it being unnatural...to me that sounds more like a matter of taste and/or convention. Smile Korg synths have used joystick up (or mod wheel up) for rotary fast/slow since at least the Wavestation (1990), and probably before. It's easy to change to match your preference, though!

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Scott wrote:
Too bad you can't keep the lights of the two buttons assigned to the same function in sync with each other.

I understand that this may be a subtle point, but the two buttons actually have different functions.

The Tone Adjust button - the one on the control surface - mirrors the internal parameter, and those two *are* the same, and *do* stay in sync as you'd expect.

SW2, on the other hand, modulates the internal parameter; when it's on, it inverts the stored value. However, that same SW2 can also be modulating other parameters at the same time. For instance, it could turn on percussion while also turning off the vibrato/chorus and modulating the attack time of an envelope in a layered PolysixEX. So, it can't always reflect the internal states of all the different parameters that it modulates. The result can be a bit complicated, as you've found, but also very handy for realtime control.

As you explained it, it makes perfect sense to me that the SW2 light can't always reflect the states of everything it is doing... it could be turning some things on while simultaneously turning other things off. So it makes sense that it illuminates simply on the basis of whether it's doing the function--or set of functions--you've assigned to it, even if those functions are, if you will, "negative."

However, when the function of SW2 is, from a user's point of view, to turn Percussion on (either as its only function, or in conjunction with other things it will do at the same time), then it seems to me that you would still want it to "light up" the percussion light (Tone Adjust Switch #1) when it turns percussion on, and to un-illuminate it when it turns that function off, so that the Percussion On/Off indicator in Switch #1 always genuinely indicates the status of the percussion, regardless of how it got there. But I guess if the *only* way to assign Percussion to SW2 is to invert the stored value (which sounds like "make it work backwards"), there may just be a limitation of the architecture preventing you from doing this? I'm new to Kronos and I may still be fundamentally misunderstanding something here, so I apologize if I just didn't get the full implication of what you were trying to describe.

danatkorg wrote:
It might be helpful to check out the Slot comments in the factory Set List; for this Organ sound, these include the SW1/2 assignments, along with other important modulation routings. You'll find similar info in the comments for most of the other Set List slots, as well.

Thanks for the tip!

danatkorg wrote:
Scott wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Quote:

I'm surprised. As I understand it, there are two sensors under each key...

You're absolutely right; I was thinking about how to do it while maintaining velocity sensing, but without that requirement, it would technically be possible. I can't make any guarantees about implementing that, however.

Well thanks at least for taking it "under advisement." Smile And in that case I'll also add an unusual request for something I thought might have been useful on the CX3. As you know, you could set the trigger point to shallow or deep.. But I always wished I could try setting it for Shallow trigger (note on at the first sensor) and Deep release (i.e. after it passes the lower sensor, note off occurs when the key is raised above that lower sensor). My feeling was that the high trigger felt more "organ like" for playing, but the release then seemed so high that it was hard to get percussion on each note, since each finger had to be raised more fully off the key before percussion was again available to trigger on a subsequent key. Unless it was an illusion and I misunderstood how the release was working! (For that matter, I also wouldn't mind a mode where percussion triggers on each key, even if you haven't released the previous note... non-traditional, but so are EX drawbars Wink )

danatkorg wrote:
Scott wrote:
The joystick is well positioned to simulate the "half-moon" leslie function of swipe left to slow, swipe right to speed it up... but instead you have to make an unnatural swipe UP to change speed.

You can certainly re-assign the control as desired, including to the pitch bend axis (though it will still be a single gesture for switching between the two states, as opposed to left for slow and right for fast).

Could you assign Leslie Speed to both the left AND right joystick motions? Then, even though it's always a toggle, you *could* swipe right to speed up and left to slow down, and it would work (with the caveat that if you happened to, for example, swipe right while it was already fast, it would switch to slow... but for all intents and purposes, it would allow half-moon style functionality to those who are familiar and comfortable with it).

danatkorg wrote:
As far as it being unnatural...to me that sounds more like a matter of taste and/or convention. Smile Korg synths have used joystick up (or mod wheel up) for rotary fast/slow since at least the Wavestation

I suppose it is largely a matter of convention... but I think that favors the left-right approach, since the purpose of the CX3 engine is to emulate a Hammond+Leslie, something no other joystick-enabled Korg ever did before (apart from OASYS, I suppose), as your previous "clonewheels" did not have joysticks. At any rate, I'm glad it can be re-assigned. A nice enhancement to the OS might be to allow a user to customize the default button/knob/controller settings for a given engine, so that, for example, someone could redefine the default joystick behavior for CX3 programs globally. (Or maybe that can be done already?)
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
However, when the function of SW2 is, from a user's point of view, to turn Percussion on (either as its only function, or in conjunction with other things it will do at the same time), then it seems to me that you would still want it to "light up" the percussion light (Tone Adjust Switch #1) when it turns percussion on, and to un-illuminate it when it turns that function off, so that the Percussion On/Off indicator in Switch #1 always genuinely indicates the status of the percussion, regardless of how it got there. But I guess if the *only* way to assign Percussion to SW2 is to invert the stored value (which sounds like "make it work backwards"), there may just be a limitation of the architecture preventing you from doing this? I'm new to Kronos and I may still be fundamentally misunderstanding something here, so I apologize if I just didn't get the full implication of what you were trying to describe.

The distinction is between modulation (e.g. switches, realtime knobs, joysticks, envelopes, LFOs etc.) and editing (e.g. on-screen parameter values and Tone Adjust). There are often circumstances in which having modulation actually edit the parameter would be destructive. You need to be able to return to programmed values, especially when one control modulates multiple destinations (as is often the case); LFOs and envelopes shouldn't actually edit the parameters that they modulate, etc.

If SW2 is going to be modulating a single on/off parameter, however, then as you say it would probably make sense for that parameter to be stored as off, so that the SW2 LED reflected the (modulated) on/off state. Note that in this case the Tone Adjust button, if assigned, would show the parameter as off...

Finally, if you know that you'll want to use the Tone Adjust buttons to control these features, you can assign SW1/2 to do something else! The complexity here is the flip side of flexibility.

Scott wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Scott wrote:
The joystick is well positioned to simulate the "half-moon" leslie function of swipe left to slow, swipe right to speed it up... but instead you have to make an unnatural swipe UP to change speed.

Could you assign Leslie Speed to both the left AND right joystick motions? Then, even though it's always a toggle, you *could* swipe right to speed up and left to slow down, and it would work (with the caveat that if you happened to, for example, swipe right while it was already fast, it would switch to slow... but for all intents and purposes, it would allow half-moon style functionality to those who are familiar and comfortable with it).

Yes, I just figured out at least one way to do this, using two AMS Mixers.
1. Set AMS Mixer 1 to A+B.
2. In AMS Mixer 1, set AMS A to JS X, with an amount of -99. Leave AMS B set to None.
3. Set AMS Mixer 2 to Gate.
4. In AMS Mixer 2, set the Gate Control Source to JS X. Leave Control at Note-On ONly turned off, and leave the Threshold at +00.
5. Set Below Threshold to AMS A, and set AMS A to AMS Mixer 1.
6. Set Above Threshold to AMS B, and set AMS B to JS X.

With the above settings, the output of AMS Mixer 1 is the inverted JS X signal. AMS Mixer 2 then chooses between using that inverted signal and the normal signal, based on whether the control source (also set to JS X) is positive or negative. This creates an absolute value of the input.

(It's late on a Friday night, so it's possible that there's a simpler way to do this that's not occuring to me at the moment. What I'd like to have is an absolute value function for a bipolar input, but since this is one of the parts of the system that I was deeply involved in, I have only myself to blame...)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Scott wrote:

The distinction is between modulation (e.g. switches, realtime knobs, joysticks, envelopes, LFOs etc.) and editing (e.g. on-screen parameter values and Tone Adjust). There are often circumstances in which having modulation actually edit the parameter would be destructive. You need to be able to return to programmed values, especially when one control modulates multiple destinations (as is often the case); LFOs and envelopes shouldn't actually edit the parameters that they modulate, etc.

Not to mention polyphonic modulation - don't know if it is specifically possible in the CX-3 engine but for example say that you had perc on/off controlled by velocity on a per-key/voice basis, there would be no way to reflect that on the control panel.
A lot of the modulation sources and destinations in the engines can be polyphonic.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
If SW2 is going to be modulating a single on/off parameter, however, then as you say it would probably make sense for that parameter to be stored as off, so that the SW2 LED reflected the (modulated) on/off state. Note that in this case the Tone Adjust button, if assigned, would show the parameter as off...

Finally, if you know that you'll want to use the Tone Adjust buttons to control these features, you can assign SW1/2 to do something else! The complexity here is the flip side of flexibility.

It's not a matter of wanting to use Tone Adjust buttons to control those features (though that's fine too), the issue to me is one of being able to look at the panel and know the status of the associated functions. On a real CX3 (or real tonewheel Hammond), before you play a note, you can look at the panel and know whether percussion is on or off (along with the settings for decay, 2nd/3rd, volume, and leslie status). I find that reassuring, to know that the patch is set up the way I want. Conceptually, it's a little disorienting to realize that the indicators are indeed there on the Kronos, but they may or may not be displaying the correct information. I don't mind that Kronos provides so much flexibility that a user can alter these things to work pretty much any way they want, but out of the box, using default patches, I would prefer things to be as operationally straight-forward, obvious, and consistent as possible. IMO, the board is complex enough without throwing people "hey, look what else we can do!" curves right out of the box.

So if it were me, and I was programming sample patches to put on the first Set List page (which will be the first sounds someone will likely use to explore the Kronos when they first encounter it), I would emphasize simplicity, i.e. ease/obviousness/consistency of operation. I would either have had the CX3 sound default to no percussion and instead just display a Slot Comment that explained how to turn the percussion on, or I would have used the sound as it is with percussion but not added the cute-but-complicating variable of also being able to control the percussion from SW2. Because if I understand correctly, it is the combination of the two--wanting to default to percussion on and wanting to add the SW2 function--that is resulting in the backward status indicator. As it is, it's kind of like demonstrating loop-de-loop aerial acrobatics to someone who is just trying to figure out how to get the plane off the ground. As I said, it's a little disorienting to have indicators out of sync when you're first trying to wrap your head around how the thing works.

Along the same lines, I just looked at the Slot Comment for that patch. It says:

"The CX-3 Tonewheel Organ Modeling engine recreates and expands upon electric tonewheel organs. Use the sliders as drawbars. JS+Y = rotary speaker speed. SW1 = C2 chorus, SW2 = 3rd percussion. Button 7 (beneath knob 7)simulates a wheel brake. "

It nicely sounds like you're trying to help a new user there, but you assume the person is familiar with Korg ergonomics and terminlogy. JS+Y means nothing to someone who has never owned a Korg before, it just looks like scary algebra. Why not "Joystick Up"? And the references to SW1 and SW2 are nebulous because those switches aren't labeled that way on the unit itself. (I actually thought they were completely unlabeled, though on closer inspection, I can see that there is a raised 1 and 2, which I am quite sure almost no one will ever see.)

The Kronos has so much cool technology, it kind of disappoints me to see things being made unnecessarily complicated, as these are the kinds of things that I know would have turned me off toward buying one if I hadn't already known about the Kronos before walking into the store.

For the Slot Comment, I might have said something more along the lines of: "The CX-3 Tonewheel Organ Modeling engine recreates and expands upon electric tonewheel organs. Use the sliders as drawbars. Above the sliders, use buttons 1 - 4 for percussion (on/off, volume, decay, 2nd/3rd), button 6 for C/V. Joystick Up to change rotor speed. Click the Control Surface tab to see more controller assignments. Many more parameters can be altered on the Program Edit pages. You can also assign the switches above the joystick to whatever functions you like."

I think that provides a lot more information, provides education about how the organ is implemented in general (as opposed to just how to work that particular patch), and lets people know that they can customize it any way they want. It also solves another problem in the current Slot Comment, in that by your explaining how to get 3rd percussion, you can easily raise the question in the prospective customer's mind, "what if I want 2nd percussion? it doesn't do that?"

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. Wink

BTW, on that preset, when I turn the V/C on and use Knob 1 to change the setting, I hear no difference no matter which of the 6 V/C options I choose. Is that normal for that combination of settings? Or are the differences just very subtle? Pardon my ignorance, but while I've been playing organ for decades, I've hardly ever touched V/C. Probably because my main Hammond was an old C, circa 1940, which didn't have C/V on it! (Sounded killer, though...)

danatkorg wrote:
Scott wrote:

Yes, I just figured out at least one way to do this, using two AMS Mixers.
1. Set AMS Mixer 1 to A+B.
2. In AMS Mixer 1, set AMS A to JS X, with an amount of -99. Leave AMS B set to None.
3. Set AMS Mixer 2 to Gate.
4. In AMS Mixer 2, set the Gate Control Source to JS X. Leave Control at Note-On ONly turned off, and leave the Threshold at +00.
5. Set Below Threshold to AMS A, and set AMS A to AMS Mixer 1.
6. Set Above Threshold to AMS B, and set AMS B to JS X.

With the above settings, the output of AMS Mixer 1 is the inverted JS X signal. AMS Mixer 2 then chooses between using that inverted signal and the normal signal, based on whether the control source (also set to JS X) is positive or negative. This creates an absolute value of the input.

Although that's still well above my pay grade, if I read it correctly, you've actually gone beyond what I asked there, and provided a way for joystick right to always equal fast leslie and joystick left to always equal slow, am I right? That's cool, but there's probably a simpler way to set Joystick Left and Joystick Right to simply both perform the single toggle function of Rotary Slow/Fast? That would be almost as good... Either way, would this change have to be made for each and every CX3 program? Or you could you somehow apply this to all CX3 programs at once, or somehow make it a default?

BTW, at least as implemented in the sample patch, this is another example of the button illumination problem... when you Joystick Up to speed up the Leslie, button 16 does not light up. So again, unlike a real CX3 (or Hammond), you can't tell what speed the Leslie is at until you play it. That's frustrating... and I'm going to guess that there's no fix for that except to restrict yourself to using Button 16 itself for your Leslie speed control? I'm actually used to using a footswitch on the CX3, but the front panel rotary status light appropriately changes whenever the speed is changed by the footswitch. This of course led me to try plugging a footswitch into the Kronos to see what would happen...

Well, you can probably guess where this is going! I plugged a pedal into the Assignable Switch jack and expected it to change Leslie speed (again, corresponding to the behavior of a real CX3, and so a logical default controller assignment for a CX3 emulation), and the pedal did nothing! I figured there must have been an easy way to fix that, I tried looking at Progam-->Common-->Controllers but found no pedal assignments there, so I resorted to the manual. It was a bit of a scavenger hunt (there's nothing in the manual specifically about using a foot pedal to control the rotary effect of the CX3, which I would think would be a common need), but eventually I did realize that the answer would be to program the foot switch to duplicate the JS+Y function. It's a little unfortunate that I kind of "lose" a controller that way (the assignable foot switch always duplicates a function already assigned to another controller and can't be used for something else of its own), but it works. Alternatively, maybe there's a way to use the ""Foot Switch (CC#82)" assignment to create a rotary toggle that would allow the foot switch to be programmed independently of JS+Y? But I'm okay with losing the "extra" controller if that's the best (or only) way to do this. (Though again, the Button 16 light does not reflect the actual Leslie status, which still irritates the heck out of me).

As an aside, I was confused by this in the manual: "JS+Y (CC#01): The switch will control the effect produced by joystick movement in the +Y direction (Vertical upward)." If you had used the word "duplicate" instead of control, the function would have been more clear.

When I have time to get back to it, the next thing I'll want to be try to do is have a foot pedal function as an Expression Pedal on a CX3 program (not merely volume, but as on a Hammond, make the sound dirtier as the volume is increased and cleaner as it is decreased), while also being able to have the pedal perform completely different functions on other programs. Will this work? Any time-saving tips appreciated... Wink

BTW, one of the few hardware disappointments I have about the Kronos is, for a high end workstation, it seems very limiting to only support one continuous foot controller.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kronos is a deep synth. It's a way more capable and versatile instrument than a clonewheel organ or a stage keyboard.

Inevitably this implies a learning curve. Learning to fly a jet fighter takes more time and more effort than learning to fly a biplane.

From what I have read, it seems a Kronos is not for you. A clonewheel organ or a stage keyboard are probably better suited to your expectations.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Inevitably this implies a learning curve. Learning to fly a jet fighter takes more time and more effort than learning to fly a biplane.

Did I complain about the learning curve? I don't think I did... though I did suggest things they could do with Slot Comments to help new users get around, which I think could also help them sell more pieces by making it easier for people to do popular, basic things when they are first trying it out in a store. (Though they would still need some kind of "shelf talker" or decal or "helpful salesperson" to be sure the prospective customer knows to look there!)

I certainly expect a learning curve for more sophisticated functions... but simple things, like adding 2nd or 3rd percussion while playing a CX3 patch, shouldn't require much of a learning curve. And in fact that is simple to do... it's just not obvious how to do it, and it could be more so, without reducing any functionality. You don't have to make the board less deep to make it easier to see how to do common things.

The issue of status lights not necessarily indicating the actual current state of something is more complex, and that may simply be a function of the architecture that one has to learn. But again, for simplicity in a showroom or to a new user, I think it would be nice if, at least for the common "demo" patches, that discrepancy were avoided if possible, and it does seem avoidable.

I think a sophisticated board should be as complex as it needs to be, but no more complex than it needs to be; and depth should not be an excuse for making things more complicated than they need to be. It especially should be easy and obvious to do basic things in the showroom. Something may be easy, but not obvious from the button legends and screen prompts... and that may still result in lost sale, unnecessarily.

EXer wrote:
From what I have read, it seems a Kronos is not for you. A clonewheel organ or a stage keyboard are probably better suited to your expectations.

Well, on one hand you make a good point, I really don't need a workstation. I will never use the sequencer, karma, sampling, drum tracks, vector stick, and a whole lot of other stuff. Really, I just do want a good stage keyboard. The problem is, this is what I want in my ideal performance board:

* strong piano and EPs
* a wide range of quality rompler sounds
* full clonewheel functionality
* the ability to load custom samples
* some raw VA synth capability
* good feeling keyboard with aftertouch
* good functionality for splits and layers, including integrating external MIDI modules
* assignable outs and support for multiple pedals
* under 30 pounds

So what else is offers this? The Kronos may do a lot that I don't care about, but it is about the only thing that has everything I want. The only alternative is the Nord Stage 2-73, which is also an excellent board... but I think the Kronos has better sounds, for the most part. Plus I prefer real sliders for drawbars instead of the Nord button arrangement.

Keeping in mind the new Set List function in particular, I think Korg is intending this to also be seen and used as a performance board, not just a studio workstation. So I think it is reasonable to consider it from that perspective, and for my "expectations" to be of something that is user-friendly in performance, even if deeper "off stage" functions require more effort.

I'm not looking for merely "clonewheel sounds that will sound good in my tracks" -- I'm looking for clonewheel sounds that allow you to also feel like you're playing a clonewheel in live performance. As I said at the top, I'm looking for a real CX-3 replacement, because the old CX-3 is so heavy, as well as being a one-trick pony (meaning that, when I use it, I tend to need to bring 3 boards instead of 2).

In short, I am looking at the Kronos as a musical instrument, not a box of sound generating equipment that happens to have a keyboard attached. So ideally, the mechanics and visual feedback of the clonewheel controls should be basically the same as those of a real clonewheel. (Now that the CX3 itself is discontinued, Kronos is the only clonewheel Korg offers, too.) I don't think compromises in this are necessarily mandated merely by virtue of the fact that the Kronos can also do a lot of other things. I don't mind a bit of learning... I didn't mind having to learn how to get to the various CX3 parameters and adjust them... but I do want it to operate like a clonewheel in a live performance setting, with controls that are quick, ergonomically sensible, and logical.

And most of what I've talked about IS doable in a Kronos. Apart from the possibly out-of-sync status indicators, I think everything else I mentioned comes down to things that are easily "fixable" with button labeling, slot comments, alternate controller assignments. I just think it would be better(since it is in part marketed as a CX3 replacement, if you will) if they had made the CX3 programs work more like a CX3 out of the box. More obvious indications of the common controls, rotary effect switchable by pedal (I haven't started to deal with the expression pedal issue yet, we'll see how that goes...), etc. Even the left-right joystick control for rotary speed that I mentioned... I understand Korg wanted Joystick Up to be a rotary toggle because "that's how they've always done it" (albeit not on clonewheels), but a real Hammond player will find the left-right axis more natural (and horizontal control-swipes require less hand motion when going back and forth between control-swiping and playing). What additionally kind of surprises me about this is that the left-right axis does nothing (at least on the default CX3 patch that comes up on the first Set List). They could have added that kind of "half moon" functionality and still had the Joystick Up function just as it does, and not lose anything! (EDIT: This is wrong... it seems you can't actually have two axes of the joystick perform the same function, so there really does have to be a choice of doing it one way or the other.)

Still, I'm glad that at least most of my issues do seem addressable, and I think it will ultimately work just fine for me. If they would like to sell the unit, in part, to people looking for a "clonewheel and more," I do think it would be better if they could make a couple of changes to make it work that way a little more smoothly out of the box. And I think there is a market there... there's no reason someone should not consider this as another alternative when looking at a Nord Electro 3, Nord Stage 2, Hammond SK1, or Roland VR-700.

Last edited by Scott on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for anyone following this who has similar interest in addressing the CX-3 functionality, I think I've come up with some good solutions...

First I was thinking about connecting a MIDI foot switch which I could program to send a CC command to toggle the rotary function, with the idea that that would leave my Assignable Foot Switch free for other things. Unfortunately, it seems there is no CC command for the rotary effect. But since the rotary effect is normally pre-assigned to a controller (JS+Y, CC #01), you should be able to assign a MIDI foot switch to CC #01, and that would still leave your Assignable Foot Switch free.

There is still a complication that, in a Combi, you have to allow for the possibility that the JS+Y function triggered by the pedal (when you want to change the Leslie) might also toss some kind of modulation into some other sound, so it's still not quite as "clean" as a pedal sending a dedicated rotary toggle command, but it seems quite workable. You'd have to check other sounds in the Combi and disable/reassign any function they may have associated with the JS+Y function. Though also, since you just "tap" the switch to change the rotary effect, it's possible that in some cases any unwanted effect the pedal may have on some other sound in the Combi may be so brief as to not really be an issue.

Back on the topic of status light indicators, the manual actually addresses this specifically from the organ perspective:

"Display shows programmed values–not AMS
These graphics show the values of the programmed parameters, including any edits made via Tone Adjust. They do not update to show temporary changes made by AMS modulation.
For instance, moving the joystick up (JS+Y) will often switch the Rotary Speaker between fast and slow, via AMS. You’ll hear the sound change ‐ but since the programmed parameter is still the same, the display won’t be updated."

One solution is to use only the actual Tone Adjust buttons themselves for all real-time organ controls (there's room to put some nice labels above them), and that will keep their displays in sync with their actual operation... and I think this will work well for everything except Leslie speed, where Button 16 would be too awkward for regular use. But assuming a program defaults to Leslie at Slow, you could assign the more conveniently located SW2 to toggle the Leslie, then the SW2 light will also function as a correct indicator of Leslie speed. In addition, if you then assign the Assignable Foot Switch to duplicate the function of SW2, then the light will continue to be in sync even if you switch speeds with the foot pedal.

This seems to solve the problem nicely. For pedal control, it's not as "instant" a solution as assigning the pedal to JS+Y where it will just work automatically; for this other approach, you'll need to change the Leslie toggle parameter in all your CX3 programs from JS+Y to SW2. (I don't think there's any way to do this on a more "global" level for the whole engine, I think you have to do it program by program, but it's not too bad. And really, while conceptually I like the idea of making all CX3 programs consistently work that way, in reality, I'm only going to use a handful of the factory presets... after that, I'll be saving my own programs anyway... not to mention that a lot of organ sound variation is stuff I do in real time with the drawbars regardless.)

A possibly time-saving tip if you're going to do this... if instead of JS+Y, you want to set SW2 to toggle the Leslie function, you'll also need to change its type from toggle to momentary. Wink (You'll also want to disable the percussion function already assigned to SW2... but of course you can still turn percussion on and off with Tone Adjust button 1.)

Again, if you're using the organ in a Combi, you'll have to pay attention to whether SW2 is doing something else in one of the other programs, which you may want to reassign or disable so that it doesn't occur every time you change Leslie speed.

Anyway, while the ergonomics are not as clean or obvious out of the box as I'd have liked/expected a clonewheel mode to be (or as I think they easily could have been), ultimately I think you can get it to work really well.

(p.s. -- as I've gotten into it more, I can see where my earlier idea about having joystick-left and joystick-right both alter leslie speed was not possible... you can't assign two different controllers to perform the same function. That said, I have a feeling Dan's solution was very clever, and hopefully I'll get to the point where I can really understand what he did! I also see that it appears not to have been possible to have any horizontal "half-moon" style leslie control and vertical "traditional korg" style implementation at the same time, for the same reason. I'm getting it...)

Last edited by Scott on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of setting up controllers you may be going the wrong way about it.

you will find most of the assignments you can set up for the pedal/foot switches/damper relate to 'controls' and not 'functions' or 'parameters'.

e.g. Joystick +Y is a control, not really a characteristic in a program.

Certainly in a rotary IFX you will find where you can assign these controls to the parameters or functions of that effect.
There should perhaps be similar settings in the CX3 engine. In Korg's other workstations they have called this AMS (and sometimes in effects you have DMod). This is a crucial concept to understand.

If the keyboard is multifunctional (e.g. sometimes you're playing organ but othertimes you're playing synths or strings or piano) then you want to be able to chose what a controller does on a program by program basis.

Generally the first thing to check then is not "what your foot pedal is set to control" but "what is being controlled by your foot pedal".
Example for a basic HD1 or AL1 program, if you want the pedal to control cutoff, you go to the page that has filter cutoff and select in one of the free AMS boxes to use the assignable pedal as a source, and then set the 'intensity' (how much you want it to move the filter cutoff by).

So if you changed your pedal to control Joystick +Y (CC01) controller, then anything set to respond to Joystick +Y will respond to the foot pedal too. But you're missing out on the possibility to program it to do something else in another program because you've effectively tied your Joystick and your Pedal together.

So setting realtime controller assignments in a combi or controller settings in global mode kinda sets or hardwires 'what messages the controls send out', and then on the other end that goes into the sound engine which picks up the controller messages and decides what to do with it. If two things are set to send the same thing then you can't really distinguish between them.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
In terms of setting up controllers you may be going the wrong way about it.

you will find most of the assignments you can set up for the pedal/foot switches/damper relate to 'controls' and not 'functions' or 'parameters'.

e.g. Joystick +Y is a control, not really a characteristic in a program.

I guess this may be a semantic argument, but as I see it, yes, JS+Y is a control, but the assignment of JS+Y to a particular function is a characteristic in a program. But maybe I'm not quite getting your point.

X-Trade wrote:
Certainly in a rotary IFX you will find where you can assign these controls to the parameters or functions of that effect.

Again, I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I had no problem assigning the rotary speed toggle to whatever control (i.e. change it from default JS+Y to SW2), nor any problem assigning the pedal to "mimic" the place I assigned the rotary effect to. However, I understand there are different ways to do this. It looks like I might be able to set the Assignable Foot Switch to "Foot Switch CC #82" and then go into the CX3 programs and assign that to the rotary effect. I also read a post where someone re-assigned the sustain pedal to function as a rotary pedal in the CX3 programs (nice in that it leaves the Assignable Pedal free, but complicated if you are using a Combi where you also want a sustain pedal). I understand different approaches have different trade-offs.

X-Trade wrote:
If the keyboard is multifunctional (e.g. sometimes you're playing organ but othertimes you're playing synths or strings or piano) then you want to be able to chose what a controller does on a program by program basis.

Generally the first thing to check then is not "what your foot pedal is set to control" but "what is being controlled by your foot pedal".
Example for a basic HD1 or AL1 program, if you want the pedal to control cutoff, you go to the page that has filter cutoff and select in one of the free AMS boxes to use the assignable pedal as a source, and then set the 'intensity' (how much you want it to move the filter cutoff by).

Yes, I understand you want the pedal to be able to do different things in different programs (and that then you also have to decide what to do if you put two programs in a combi that have different functions assigned to that pedal). And I understand that, even though the pedal assignments on the Kronos are global, they can still be globally assigned to something which, itself, can be altered on a program-by-program basis. And I think that was really the main point you were getting at in your message, which I understand. Though some of this kind of understanding has come as I've been working with it, so my earlier messages in this thread may not reflect the same level of understanding I had in later ones. Wink

X-Trade wrote:
So if you changed your pedal to control Joystick +Y (CC01) controller, then anything set to respond to Joystick +Y will respond to the foot pedal too. But you're missing out on the possibility to program it to do something else in another program because you've effectively tied your Joystick and your Pedal together.

I know, and that was why I was resistant to it myself... but it did have the virtue of instantly working. That is, by changing that one setting, all the organ patches has foot switch leslie control in one swell foop! Any other choice would require program-by-progam alteration (at least, as far as I understand)... which is not to say that ultimately that might not be the better way to go regardless. And in fact, as you saw when I decided it was better to tie the foot switch to SW2 than JS+Y, I still ended up with something where I have to adjust something one program at a time. Though I did it for a different reason than not wanting to lose the ability to independently assign the foot switch (as good a justification as that would have been!), instead I did it because I wanted it to function in a way that I'd have a status light on the board. But as I said, there are different trade-offs. If someone doesn't care about the status light, sure, the ability to assign that foot switch separately from JS+Y, SW2, or any other control clearly opens up some other possibilities in other programs.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you understand. Just trying to help Wink

I think the main thing I'm trying to get across is it helps to make that distinction in your mind between the controllers and the sound engine or at least parameters of it. They're almost like two separate entities for the most part. Because you have that control over what the controllers actually transmit. And then in the program you tell it what to do with those.

AMS is also quite confusing for some people. It is immensely powerful which is one thing I really like about the Korg workstations. Instead of saying "I want the Joystick to control Vibrato", you can say "I want the vibrato intensity to be controlled by the joystick. Oh and the filter cutoff too, and the drive amount, and how about the reverb level whilst I'm at it?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: