Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A tip when auditioning/tweaking pianos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: A tip when auditioning/tweaking pianos Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thing to explore with the acoustic pianos:

Touch the graphic area and you'll be taken to the main tweaking page. In the upper left there's a parameter called Piano Type. These are 32 "presets" that adjust the samples chosen, how many layers and where they velocity split, and other characteristics that you can't get to in the engine. So if you like the general vibe of a Program, changing around a few of these may help you to find the less bright at upper velocity, or other characteristic that you're looking for.

Well worth exploring.

Regards,

Jerry
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, jerry. I've found this method extremely helpful not just with the pianos but with each of the engines in the Kronos- especially the STR-1 and MOD-7.
My personal favorite tweaks with the pianos involve playing with the mechanical noise level. With those settings and the lid placement I was able to get the sound of the upright from my childhood! So the Kronos is all that plus a heaping helping of nostalgia! Smile

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble with the German piano (all voices) wherein D5 (the D in the octave above middle C) is much brighter/louder than any other note. There is a change in brightness from C5 to D5 that is pretty pronounced and "jumps" out with the D almost hurting my ears. This does not happen in the Japanese piano, or any other instrument. Also, my East West pianos do not do this going through the same setup. I tried going directly from the Kronos outputs to my monitors and the same results with the German piano. I love the pianos but this is annoying because I play sort of "new age" style with lots of ringing notes and one louder/brighter than the rest really stands out. Also, my headphone output is quite low, I have to turn it all the way up to get the piano loud enough for my taste. So the extra bright note is less apparent, though the jump in brightness from C5 to D5 is still there in the German piano. I tried dialing through the other German pianos and all have the same effect. Even though I don't think its the room/speakers alone, I am going to move the setup to another room. But if it was primarily the room I would hear it on other pianos and instruments. Suggestions appreciated or if anyone else experiences this.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Gibbs wrote:
I am having trouble with the German piano (all voices) wherein D5 (the D in the octave above middle C) is much brighter/louder than any other note. There is a change in brightness from C5 to D5 that is pretty pronounced and "jumps" out with the D almost hurting my ears. This does not happen in the Japanese piano, or any other instrument. Also, my East West pianos do not do this going through the same setup. I tried going directly from the Kronos outputs to my monitors and the same results with the German piano. I love the pianos but this is annoying because I play sort of "new age" style with lots of ringing notes and one louder/brighter than the rest really stands out. Also, my headphone output is quite low, I have to turn it all the way up to get the piano loud enough for my taste. So the extra bright note is less apparent, though the jump in brightness from C5 to D5 is still there in the German piano. I tried dialing through the other German pianos and all have the same effect. Even though I don't think its the room/speakers alone, I am going to move the setup to another room. But if it was primarily the room I would hear it on other pianos and instruments. Suggestions appreciated or if anyone else experiences this.

Hmm, my first thought was perhaps a bit of dirt in the D5 velocity sensor, but reading on, you say it only happens with the German Grand. I did not notice this issue when I played Kronos' pianos. The only issue I heard that bothered me related to the decay of the notes in the range of C4 in the Japanese Grands... I found it unnaturally "steppy", but perhaps I was simply hearing a characteristic inherent in the piano Korg selected for sampling. I'd be interested to know whether you hear this as well. Maybe I was having a bad ear day, but I'm not sure that's it.

Hopefully there is a simple fix for your brash D5!
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Across the rest of the range the German Grand is very nice ands fits my playing... better than the pianos on my Oasys. I have not spent that much time with the Japanese Grand yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: