Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos: first impression of the Oasys owner
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo200

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Kronos: first impression of the Oasys owner Reply with quote

Today my brother received his K-61 and I give a try. Since Kronos being lunched I'm, as probably most of O owners, were in doubt-should I change O for K or not.

Now I have an answer-at least at this time for me.
I'm staying with my lovely O.

Why? Very simple. First and very important problem is a font's. I simply can't read the screen in some situations. I can take eyeglasses,but it's not comfortable. With OASYS I don't need it at all!

Sound quality as expected, generally the same.

May be for somebody it will be funny or doesn't matter but overall impression of the overall quality (knobs,sliders,joystick's,panels etc) is as after Mercedes S class you are entering to A Class. Still Mercedes but so big difference..

I'm sure missing drum track knob on my O the same as I hate Function knob on it,but I don't want to live without real pads.

As some one told on O forum- Don't sell your Oasys!

OASYS 76 #000145, Kurzweil K2600S, Yamaha QS300
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos: first impression of the Oasys owner Reply with quote

leo200 wrote:
I'm sure missing drum track knob on my O the same as I hate Function knob on it,but I don't want to live without real pads.

Now here's a great idea for Korg:

Transform the infamous FUNCTION-button into a DRUM TRACK-button! Very Happy
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the Sound On Sound review. The reviewer is also an OAYSYS owner since 2005. While he does prefer the physical design of the OASYS, he otherwise describes the Kronos as a "more flexible and in many respects more powerful" update to the OASYS at a much lower price. He points to the SG1X pianos, the EP1 engine and set lists as a few of many upgrades in the Kronos.

I'm not sure that existing OASYS owners need to jump ship, but I do think there is enough there to make the switch a natural choice for some people. As for the car analogy, I think it's more of a S550 v C63 AMG comparison... The S is made of much finer materials and offers superior comfort and ergonomics, but the C63 AMG cost a lot less and gives you more performance.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to play a Kronos 61 at GC yesterday. As an Oasys owner, I was curious to see and hear the differences. Basically, very similar to the Oasys. The EP's and Ac Pianos are a definite step up in quality sound. No difficulty reading the screen, although a little more difficult to make proper contact with the touch screen. Set list and drum pattern play are cool. I miss the cool blue color from the vector joystick! The keyboard is very nice. Great feel and weight for a synth keyboard. Having 9 engines is a great advantage. I feel even more ignored; knowing I still have to pay for additional engines that I may want for my Oasys! Crying or Very sad The Kronos is very appealing visually, like the color. But the Oasys is going to stay with me for the time being. For those of you that are looking for a quality instrument at a competitive price point, I don't see how you could go wrong with this keyboard. i give it a "thumbs up". Great addition Korg!! Nice instrument!! Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
I'm not sure that existing OASYS owners need to jump ship

I doubt many will,as much as Kronos is an updated version with a few additions,its not worth ditching an Oasys for...

Not for me I'm afraid,with all the issues some are having with hardware and such,I'm now feeling my Oasys is now more of a good solid investment and built like a tank.

There is a thread elsewhere for Kronos purchases from a retailer taking part exchange with any existing Oasys if anyone wants to,given the financial investment anyone contemplating such a deal would be rather foolish IMO.

The only thing I envy on the Kronos not inside the Oasys is the setlist option,other than that there is nothing to attract me to dump my Oasys for.I've had the Oasys for over 3 years and still only scratched the surface,and I'd consider myself well versed with it

Most Oasys owners wanting to purchase a Kronos I suspect will buy one with a view to gigging with a Kronos,I just don't feel those extras are really worthy of the price tag for what's already available if you have an Oasys,I've got an SV-1 which takes care of the pianos other than that everything is catered for in Oasys.

The Kronos is more aimed for those who didn't get the chance due to probably financial reasons of not being able to get the technology the first time around.

Good luck to you guys with your Kronos's I guess its been worth the wait,and your only just starting out where most of us have travelled on that rewarding and challenging path buts its worth the ride for sure..I can see a lot of happy Kronos owners out there as there coming round to why so many of us Love the Oasys.

Where the hell have you all been!!! Wink
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own any Korg Keyboard atm, but if I'm not mistaken the Oasys got a mechanical HDD. And those won't last forever. Would it be easy to replace it? I would be serious about taking backups because when they suddenly becomes defect it would be hard to get the data back.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if I'm not mistaken the Oasys got a mechanical HDD. And those won't last forever.

An SSD won't last forever. HDD's are more reliable than SSD's at this moment. I've never had a HDD failure in my 20+ years of intensive computing.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
HDD's are more reliable than SSD's at this moment.

Wrong. SSD is going to outlive any HDD, especially latest tech (that being said nothing lasts forever). Oh, try accidentally dropping an HDD on the floor then make it work. SSD is a lot more reliant mechanically. Which matters on things that are transported a lot (laptops, SYNTHS, etc.)

Chriskk wrote:
I've never had a HDD failure in my 20+ years of intensive computing.

I've had three disks fail on me in course of 7 months. Different vendors. So much about HDD reliability. No, it was not my motherboard nor my power supply.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a piano player, the new pianos and electric pianos seem like a significant difference in the boards. The action available in the 88 is also important to me. I can see why those things aren't so important to some people, but the opportunity to have a single keyboard that can replace my CP1 and a premier workstation like OASYS, was an opportunity too good for me to pass up. I would have paid a premium to get nicer materials and a bigger screen but not at the expense of the new things that are available on the Kronos.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
if I'm not mistaken the Oasys got a mechanical HDD. And those won't last forever.

An SSD won't last forever. HDD's are more reliable than SSD's at this moment. I've never had a HDD failure in my 20+ years of intensive computing.

The newst SSD have limited time too, and you can see that on the forehand when your diskspace is getting smaller. I've woarked with computers many years and I've replaced alot of HDDs. and they suddenly become broken. One of my Raptor Drives went defect not too long ago. I keep replacing them on copier machines as well.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i have never moved my Oasys. It has been sitting in my music room since August 2005.

I'm purchasing the K88 for moving around, i'm going to trash it, i dont care lol. Band work, evening practice on the coffee table in the lounge, out in the backyard on sunny days, take round to a friends house for some fun jamming. In the kitchen while im cooking lol

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
That's why i have never moved my Oasys. It has been sitting in my music room since August 2005.

I'm purchasing the K88 for moving around, i'm going to trash it, i dont care lol. Band work, evening practice on the coffee table in the lounge, out in the backyard on sunny days, take round to a friends house for some fun jamming. In the kitchen while im cooking lol

Billy

For those who suddenly got a HDD defect on a Oasys, what will they do? If it's not behind a slot on the back of Oasys, but instead being built in, you might have to deliver it to a Korg certified service station, and you might have lost the data as well. I would've bin nervous about this.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
I've never had a HDD failure in my 20+ years of intensive computing.

I have Sad
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy[/quote]

For those who suddenly got a HDD defect on a Oasys, what will they do? If it's not behind a slot on the back of Oasys, but instead being built in, you might have to deliver it to a Korg certified service station, and you might have lost the data as well. I would've bin nervous about this.[/quote]

Thats why I back up to a USB attached hard drive. S**t happens, so its always good to backup your work. You will be out of commission while your board is at the shop, but you won't lose anything that can't be replaced. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OASYS HDD fails, you put in a new one (it's just a laptop HDD) and load the OS from the included discs. Couldn't be easier. Probably one of the first things I'm going to do with my KRONOS is put in a laptop hard drive, load the OS from the discs and put it away for safe keeping.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: