Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please tell me my fan is faulty
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowtime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: please tell me my fan is faulty Reply with quote

Received Kronos 61 (package was damaged) and the fan sounds like about 4 large PC towers going at once. Like a mini-fridge in my studio! Really hoping that when I get my replacement, I will find that I had a bum fan on this one. Since I have not heard any other complaints about the fan, I trust this will be so. Sad

Oh by the way, this thing sounds cherry dynamite! (that is a good thing).
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is very quiet.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since I have not heard any other complaints about the fan, I trust this will be so.

The Sound on Sound reviewer pointed out that he'd have to turn off the loud fan during recording sessions.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After about 6 hours of play my new KRONOS 61, I did not even realize that the beast had a fan other than me. It was not until I read about on the forum I even knew.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: please tell me my fan is faulty Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
Received Kronos 61 (package was damaged) and the fan sounds like about 4 large PC towers going at once. .
Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope you're reporting an aberration and not the norm. I've seen a few other forum comments about the fan sound (e.g. sounding like an old computer fan) but your description sounds over the top. It's a concern to me as my 88 is on preorder. When I listened to the 61 in the store, I had to put my ear close to the board to hear the fan but there was ambient store noise (not unusually loud but nonetheless background noise), so it's very hard to judge. Kindly update your experience as things progress, ie. how Korg/supplier handles your report. Good luck.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Mine is very quiet.
Is your keyboard in a totally quiet (e.g. home studio) environment or is there other background noise present that would mask a low fan sound? If you don't hear anything in a totally quiet room that's great. Does it sound like a computer running? My PC has a relatively loud fan whereas my iMac can only be heard if my ear is touching the casing, so there's a lot of variability in sounds. How would you describe yours more distinctly. Thanks.

Last edited by Hal2001 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mthomashow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear fan noise as well. It's audible (a low whirring hum) when I'm not playing the instrument. You can't hear it at all when you're playing. When The Sound on Sound reviewer mentioned it I assumed it was normal.

It would be nice to know where this is comparatively. Do some folks have completely quiet instruments? If so, there is something wrong with ours. If not, then this noise is to be expected.

For me thus far it's the only issue in an otherwise brilliant sounding instrument.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mthomashow wrote:
I can hear fan noise as well. It's audible (a low whirring hum) when I'm not playing the instrument. You can't hear it at all when you're playing. When The Sound on Sound reviewer mentioned it I assumed it was normal.

It would be nice to know where this is comparatively. Do some folks have completely quiet instruments? If so, there is something wrong with ours. If not, then this noise is to be expected.

For me thus far it's the only issue in an otherwise brilliant sounding instrument.

all he says Wink
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is plenty soft. Of course you can hear it if you get close and try to listen for it. It's softer than a PC fan.

My MacBook Pro gets way louder when the fans run and my Mac Pro is just... loud. I think it's a non-issue for me at this point.
blackdogmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Mine is plenty soft. Of course you can hear it if you get close and try to listen for it. It's softer than a PC fan.

My MacBook Pro gets way louder when the fans run and my Mac Pro is just... loud. I think it's a non-issue for me at this point.

+1 I can hear it when it turns on, other than that, don't even notice.

Past Gear: Roland RD-700GXF, Korg M3 61, Yamaha CP-33, Motion Sound KT-80 Keyboard Amplifier
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ears the OASYS fan always was noisy, more than it should IMHO,
even more in summer season.

I guess the Kronos fan is less noticeable, given it has no ventilation holes, but i guess the whole inner will be hotter just because ot that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left my Kronos on over night. I can just barely hear the fan if I lean over and concentrate. It is cool to the touch, though perhaps a degree or so warmer over the control surface and the screen. I think if your fan sounds like four towers running, there is a problem with your Kronos.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Mine is very quiet.
Great. Is it very quiet in a very quiet room or does it just seem quiet because there's other constant sound or noise going on in the room which would mask it? Congrats on getting your Kronos.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have my Kronos then I probably will need a new computer since that one really is making noise. A good excuse to buy a new computer anyway Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maphill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Standard needed Reply with quote

Unfortuantely,

We are have different ears and will notice the fan noise depending on our hearing, sensitivities, placement (desk vs. stand), and even room characteristics (carpet vs. wood, size, etc.).

This information would be much more useful if those of us who have a radio shack SPL meter do something like the following:

1. Set the meter to C-weighted, slow.
2. PLace at typical ear position pointed at board, or some other fairly reproducible position, perhaps 3" above the top of middle C, etc.
3. Watch the values in an absolutely silent room. No computers running, no lawn mowers outside, no kids awake in the house, HVAC off, etc.
4. Look at the average readout over 30 seconds or so.

Readings made close to the unit will be less influenced by room character.

(I'll do this when my Kronos arrives...)

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: