Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Dead - Devastated
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkuli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Kronos Dead - Devastated Reply with quote

I turned the Kronos on about 3 hours ago. Played around - sequenced a quick idea and an hour to an hour and a half later, left it running to eat dinner and watch the end of a movie with the family. When I came back to the Kronos it was off. I knew I didn't turn it off and after interrogating the rest of the house I was sure no one else touched it (as has been the rule since its arrival).

The board is dead. Pulled the plug out of the keyboard and placed it back in to see if that would make a difference. Tried a different outlet. Left the switch in the off state for several minutes. Nothing has worked. The board appears to be done - Friday night.....

RK

ex-ex SK5, PSS 680, DX7
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a tragedy! Good thing we have warranties. I have had similar things happen always in the first few days of use, sometimes it just happens. Hope you're back up and running with a Kronos soon.
rkuli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx - its just the hassle of shipping it back and now waiting for a new unit.

might as well not have pre-ordered. i also hadn't backed up any of the songs i created thus far. probably 7 or so songs that will be lost. normally, one of the first things i would have done would have been to hook to the computer but since the plugin editor wasn't ready i was waiting.

i'm just bummed that they'll be no kronos for me over the weekend and i probably won't have a new board for another week or so. that sucks!

RK

ex-ex SK5, PSS 680, DX7
mjames4208

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they'll give you an 88 instead of the 61
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkuli wrote:
thx - its just the hassle of shipping it back and now waiting for a new unit.

RK

Do they replace it? I thought they would repair it.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Kurzweil K2600 in 2000 and within 2 hours of playing it, it switched off on me. My electrician friend said it might be the fuse...sure enough that's what is was, replaced it and all was fine. Would this thing have a fuse in it?

billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd open it to verify the fuse - wouldn't it void warranty? Korg tends to bury fuses deep in the guts of their synths... Sometimes you have to literally remove several PCB's before you can access the fuse.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
I bought a Kurzweil K2600 in 2000 and within 2 hours of playing it, it switched off on me. My electrician friend said it might be the fuse...sure enough that's what is was, replaced it and all was fine. Would this thing have a fuse in it?

billy

Would be strange if there was no fuse in it. It's simple to replace once you got the Kronos opened (at least with other electronic stuff it is), but you can't do it yourself. Don't want to break warranty. I don't know why Korg or others don't use automatic fuse switches instead so you can solve the problem yourself by flipping a switch back in place.

I hope it isn't a major design issue that makes the same happen for all units. I hope this is the last Kronos for years to go dead.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurzweils have a fuse where the plug enters the Synth which is a good idea, I wouln't go opening it at all, all I would do is try a different IEC lead(Jug cord) if thats not the problem and you are sure the power you are plugging into is working then send it back and get a replacement.

If it was me I would open it up but only because I am an electrician and also will be importing my Kronos so no warranty for me but if I was in the US i would def get a replacement.

Feel bummed for you though, id be gutted.

Once I imported a roland keyboard amp (SA-300)which stated in the manual 110v, 240v which I thought was 110v-240v but it meant there were two versions lol, I plugged it in a POOF it blew up, i was running round like a headless chicken, laughed about it afterwards but it was $1000 down the drain as a replacement switch mode power supply was $650....sold it for parts.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plugged it directly into the wall it is your fault bro.

Always use protective power with this stuff!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - are you for REAL?????? Mad

Sure surge protection is always a good thing (although not as necessary as some would think - a great many commercial studios don't have any), but to say that it's the OP's own fault for his purchase not working......

That's just plain rubbish.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for stating the very obvious, and I'm sure you have already checked, but is there a fuse in the wall plug - on the end of the lead? In the UK there would be but I'm not sure how it works in the US, or elsewhere.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear in the States the only leads I have seen with a fuse in the male end, the end that goes into the wall, are Christmas lights. Nothing I have at home has a fuse there and only a couple extension cords that I have have a CB in them. Looking at my gear most have a fuse inside or on the back. Guitar amps blow fuses and it is understood a lot of people will replace their own fuses. I do not know how KORG approaches it though.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fuse, internal or external to an appliance, should by it's very nature be easy to access and replace. Amps often have an easy access fuse at the rear so what is so different about a keyboard?
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this.

Don't Touch the inside though or "fiddle" with it, ring korg, and let them deal with it.

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: