Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Dead - Devastated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkuli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the concern guys (except for the comment about plugging it directly into the wall - and for the record, it wasn't).

just dreading the process of replacing/fixing this board and mad that i hadn't backed it up yet - only about 4 to 5 hours of total operation.....

RK

ex-ex SK5, PSS 680, DX7
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the bright side is now you have your problem out of the way, better now then three months from now with thousands of hours into it and a great need to have it this weekend etc...

Yea I know that didn't help. Rolling Eyes
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if that happens during a show, I'd be screwed. I hope we learn what the issue is.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as any bit of kit - I would be in the same (sinking) boat if any keyboard died on stage.....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there. Terrible feeling. Very important gig too.
rkuli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Man, if that happens during a show, I'd be screwed. I hope we learn what the issue is.

I'll let you know whatever I find out. I have to assume though that this is an isolated issue and nothing to be concerned about for the boards en masse.

RK

ex-ex SK5, PSS 680, DX7
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
Don't Touch the inside though or "fiddle" with it, ring korg, and let them deal with it.

+1

panrixx wrote:
A fuse, internal or external to an appliance, should by it's very nature be easy to access and replace. Amps often have an easy access fuse at the rear so what is so different about a keyboard?

Just as an example, a computer too has a fuse which cannot be changed easliy. More commonly, most appliance with switching PSU has fuses buried deep within the box. Reason: switching PSU's have all kind of protections built-in, so when the fuse blows, it usually (99% of the cases or so) is due to a component failure, to which a simple fuse replacement is not an appropriate solution and might even cause further damage if the root problem is not diligently explored and solved. The Kronos has a switching PSU, so you get the picture... If there would be a failure other than the PSU (i.e. causing overolad on the power supply or similar) then you'd see some lights briefly flashing upon switch on and then PSU protection would shut down. So, likely there were some problems with the PSU and the fuse blew to prevent fire. Hopefully your data will not be lost.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

+1

This would be a main gigging board for me seeing 150+ shows a year
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkuli wrote:
thanks for the concern guys (except for the comment about plugging it directly into the wall - and for the record, it wasn't).

RK

I apologize. However plugging something as sensitive as a keyboard directly into the wall can be very harmful. One spike can fry it. Especially in america where the power can really sucks. Some music specific places like rehearsal studios dont even have proper grounding. Just something to be careful with. I didnt mean to come off nasty. Hope your issue gets resolved

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However plugging something as sensitive as a keyboard directly into the wall can be very harmful.

This is a myth. Surge-protectors and line conditioners hardly do anything. Ask any electrical engineer.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
However plugging something as sensitive as a keyboard directly into the wall can be very harmful.

This is a myth. Surge-protectors and line conditioners hardly do anything. Ask any electrical engineer.

No where near a myth.

If a triton (classic), for example, gets a small surge of electricity, it will start randomly thinking its turning the jog wheel.

if a triton extreme gets a surge, the first thing to go will be the tube.

having dirty power can greatly influence the functionality of your keyboards.. dont believe me? go ahead and sure your board. watch the screen flicker and never turn on again.

This is why ever since my triton started cycling patches i will ONLY plug it into protected power. never a problem since.

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a test i did while testing my triton out when i first got my Studio Monitors.

When my triton was plugged into the UPS, the signal that was sent to the monitors was fine, no pops or weird oscillations.

when it was plugged straight into the wall, it would be fine for a few seconds, then you could audibly hear some weird frequencies going through. Then I turned on the power amp in the room for the PA's (the room we rehearse in is underpowered) then i could start hearing tons of weird stuff coming out of the monitors. I made sure it wasnt just the monitors picking it up by unplugging the triton from the monitors and turning it off. sure enough all of that stuff going on went right through the triton only. you couldn't hear it when i unplugged it. About 5 minutes later is started thinking it was gettingthe jog wheel turned.

plugged back in the UPS and bam.. all better!

now tell me again that power fluctuations hurting an instrument is a myth please. My rig would be noisy and screwed up as hell if i didnt use a UPS (thanks to this forum for the idea btw)

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
If a triton (classic), for example, gets a small surge of electricity, it will start randomly thinking its turning the jog wheel.

true statement. happened to me during a show (I created a post about it in the Triton sub-forum about a year ago).

I use an APC power conditioner EVERYWHERE I play.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it happened to me i searched and read your most Mchale. When i got the UPS i have NEVER EVER had a problem since.

After opening up the tritons time and time again, you will find that the jog wheel is actually one of the first things the power comes in contact with. WHich makes perfect sense with these issues.

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:

I'm an electrical engineer. If the Kronos has a switching power supply there is really not a lot of concern unless you get a direct lightning strike, then all bets are off. Wink

A UPS power conditioner is not a bad idea though. Helps you to cruise through power outages. I have one on my Korg.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: