Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microsampler or microkorg xl?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
george1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: microsampler or microkorg xl? Reply with quote

Hello guys,

First of all, i play a kind of ambient/shoegaze and i’m not interested in making loops with the microsampler as i have the boss rc-50 loop station to do this.

So I would like to ask you the following:

1. Does the microsampler have any good enough built-in (or in the extra bank packs) sounds?
I am mostly interested in strings, synth pads, pianos and bass so i want to know if the keyboard mode is good for playing these kind of sounds.

2. If it doesn’t have any good sounds for these instruments, do you think it is better to but the microkorg xl? But in this case i know that i have to buy a separate sampler for my drum sounds which will probably be too expensive for me.

I am planning to use the keyboard mode for all the above sounds and the sample mode to sample my own drum sounds and sounds from glockenspiels, music boxes etc.

3. And what about the built-in drum sounds that microsampler has? Are these ok?

Thanks in advance for your help.
George.
Stabby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just seem to be interested in built-in sounds but honestly, if you're not going to make your own samples it is not worth it.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into the microSTATION. That actually preset sounds. The microSAMPLER is primarily a blank instrument for putting your own sampled sounds into. The stock sounds in the microSAMPLER are actually quite horrible.
george1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's possible, i'm looking for something that can work well both as a synth and a sampler.
Stabby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're not confusing sampler with sequencer?
george1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know the difference. i just want to know if the microsampler has good built-in sounds of strings, synth pads, pianos and bass.
Stabby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're pretty horrible and you can only play on 3 octaves (there are no octave up/down buttons). Also, the sequencer only allows one instrument at a time using the keyboard.
george1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. finally i think i have to buy microkorg xl (or microstation) and a separate sampler.
korakios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check Waldorf Blofeld...You cannot sample instantly ,but you can use a free program to upload your samples...never actually owned it ,so I can't give you more info!
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned you want something with "good built-in sounds of strings, synth pads, pianos and bass", DO NOT get the microKORG or any other analog modeling type synthesizer. You'll find the preset sounds extremely limited since these are instruments designed for creating your own sounds from scratch in an analog styled manner.

Again, I recommend the microSTATION, or even the microX. These are considered Romplers since they have hundreds of sounds captured from sampled instruments. The range of sounds are huge, covering just about every traditional synth sound and acoustic instrument. You'll get pads, strings, piano, organ, drums, etc. plus you can tweak them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: