Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dumb question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames4208

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: dumb question Reply with quote

can 2 synths be hooked up to the same hard drive or...?
i'm sure the answer is no, but i want to double check
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no dumb questions. Wink

But I don't think so. Smile
Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean by "hooked up to"? Multiple Motifs can access the same HDD via networking, for instance.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please give us more information. What are you trying (or what do you want) to do?

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
mjames4208

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted my my motif and Kronos to have access to the same hard drive....
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames4208 wrote:
Wanted my my motif and Kronos to have access to the same hard drive....

I don't think you can do this.

Looking in the Kronos Operation Guide:
-- pg. 8 shows the Kronos has 2 USB A ports (to connect an external hard drive or Flash media and 1 USB B port (to connect the Kronos to a computer)

-- pp. 23-24 talk about USB connections. You can connect an external hard drive to the Kronos, but there would be no way to connect it to your Motif at the same time. The USB B connection to the computer only appears to provide midi and audio data transmission; it does not appear that you can copy files directly to your PC via this connection.

I think your only solution would be to use a small portable hard drive (or flash drive) and connect/disconnect that drive with the Kronos and then connect/disconnect with the Motif.

Also, it appears the Kronos external drive has to be formatted in FAT32.

As an example solution you could use something like the Seagate FreeAgent Go or GoFlex, which are bus-powered
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dumb question... Does the Kronos have the hardware that would allow for future development of an iPad interface to control the touchscreen controls?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
My dumb question... Does the Kronos have the hardware that would allow for future development of an iPad interface to control the touchscreen controls?

Why do you want to have an additional touchscreen to control something which already has a touchscreen?

And yes, it would be possible if you have a computer in the middle. Maybe if Korg doesn't do it then someone else will. But personally I'd recommend running the editor software on a windows tablet or something.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

Why do you want to have an additional touchscreen to control something which already has a touchscreen?

And yes, it would be possible if you have a computer in the middle. Maybe if Korg doesn't do it then someone else will. But personally I'd recommend running the editor software on a windows tablet or something.

More real estate and different viewing angle.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

To the original poster -

Would a laptop with both the Kronos and Motif connected to it be a possibility?

Regarding the iPad - X-Trade - remember the Kronos screen is single touch, for selection (no editing in most instances). the iPad is multitouch, with full edit and performance capabilities. A Kronos app linking the various synth engines to iPad control would be very significant.

As just one example the iMS20 allows for all the MS20 knobs to be moved in realtime with a performance on the screen keyboard. In fact, you can even repatch the patchbay - in realtime - while you are playing on its keyboard or 2 Kaoss controllers. and with the actual size of an iPad suiting the size of our hands perfectly, you can be playing with some fingers while repatching with other fingers - it's not hard - but it's absolutely brilliant; and currently unprecedented. I'd even go as far as to say that it is arguably the most innovative step forward in (virtual) modular synthesis for a long time.

So if Korg (or third parties) wanted to get inventive about providing iPad access to controlling the AL-1, STR-1 or MOD-7 synths for example, they could literally revolutionise the use of those instruments.

And then there is the multitude of other iPad possibilities:

- Drum pads
- Pattern Editing
- Mixer control of the Kronos sequencer
- Kaoss control
- Realtime control of effects, wavesequences, Vector synthesis, Karma GE editing and Performance

and all of these potential available along side the Kronos current screen and control surface. Kronos is a vast realm of editibility and control ripe for iPad development.

This would probably have to be implemented over USB-MIDI via your computer - so not sure if this is a cause for concern as to whether any of that wil actually happen. But if that connection is up to 'plugin' capabilities in a DAW, perhaps that connection is rapid enough to allow for iPad connectivity?

Kevin.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a variety of controller apps already available for custom MIDI controls. You could very simply create your own control surface for many parameters.

Regards,

MM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: