Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Gig With The Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: First Gig With The Kronos Reply with quote

Used my Kronos live for the first time last night. Here's a couple of impressions:

The touch screen: easy to see/easy to use. The screen was nice and bright and readable regardless of lighting. I never felt the urge to have it tilted any differently. But it should be noted that I had it set up as the lower board on a 2-tier stand. So it is set up maybe an inch-or-two lower than what many other people might consider optimal, and I have to lean a bit back to fully read the screen. I'm used to both those things because I have to do that with any board I have in that position. So I'm not sure whether the screen would look different if it was a single board. I don't think so, but not 100% sure.

The sounds: blended very nicely with my other sounds. I had a third board (my old bottom-tier board) set up on the side as an emergency go-to and I had planned on using it more than I did. I was so comfortable playing the Kronos that it was my primary board all night.

The keybed: felt great and solid to play all night. The action is a little more firm than on my Motif Classic that I've been playing for years and I enjoyed the action of the Kronos quite a bit.

I've got a long ways to go in terms of integrating the board into my set up. I've yet to midi either in-or-out of the Kronos and I've got a LOT more programs and combis to create. The fun begins!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear - I'm in the same boat: a LOAD of songs to xfer over from my current system (Kurz K2000 with samples, XP30 and Apple Mainstage)....

Counted up the set-list last night - nearly 40 songs, all with about 4 patches in each Shocked

Should be fun. Laughing

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting the Kronos 61 primarily for gigging out. This keyboard should make my others obsolete. Currently using a Privia for Accoustic Piano, the piano sounds on the Kronos should take care of that and I'll use the Privia as a controller. The Korg TR6 will be phased out also and just used as a controller. My new R3 will be completely phased out as well as the Hammond A100 (getting too old to tote that beast). I'm pretty confident I can get good Hammond sounds and stereo Leslie from the Kronos.
I will want to set up the other keyboards so they are stacked as close to each other as possible. I shouldn't need to access any other controls besides the keyboards. Also the possibiltiy of adding a MIDI pedalboard is important so I need to find a stand that will work, that makes a sissor-type stand out of the question.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very happy with the organs sounds and pretty happy with the Leslie sim.

Right now I'm using an EMU B3 module through a Ventilator for organ. I liked the organ patches (I used two) on the Kronos better for my live situation. I don't play organ a LOT---maybe only 3 or 4 songs a night---but, of course, I want it to sound as good as possible when I do.

Right now I'm debating whether to just use the pretty good Leslie sim in the Kronos or take it off the organ sounds and patch it through the Ventilator. I haven't tried them through the Vent yet (maybe later today) so I'll see where I go with that.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are ultimately a matter of personal taste, but I routed a couple of organ patches through the Ventilator, and while the Vent sounds warmer and grittier and a bit more like a real Leslie cabinet than the onboard Leslie sim in the Kronos, I don't know if there's enough of a difference between the two to really be noticable in most live rock band situations.

If I was playing a LOT of organ all night long, that might be different. But I'm impressed with how good the Kronos sounds.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KORG workstations since the Triton, possibly since the Trinity, use a Leslie sim which is based on the venerable G4 pedal unit, and even with the Ventilator out, is a highly sought after Leslie effect. The effect in the CX-3 model is probably tweaked to take advantage of the OASYS and now Kronos ram and processing power. I can imagine it holds up pretty well compared to the Ventilator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: