Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ims-20, basics in making a whole song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimboeh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Ims-20, basics in making a whole song Reply with quote

Hey, I've been using the Ims-20 for about 2 weeks now and I think it's just an amazing app, the sounds I'm creating are mostly out of this world! Very Happy

Now to my newbie-question;
Can someone please share a step-by-step-guide in how to create a whole song (I want to finish it inside the ims-20), that doesnt sound that repetetive, and how to layer it down and the easiest way to make the song breath (Most of my songs just sound so static, there's no real vibe in it, and I know what the ims-20 really can do!), am I supposed to record it with the "live recording" turned on and just use the kaoss-pads on the synth?

Or how do you guys make and record your songs? Question
disc-chord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only completed one song on the iMS-20, but from what I learned I think either method is acceptable. It depends on your own workflow. If you rock on an APC or MPC then you'll find the live performance method works like you'd expect. If, however, you are more inclined to having everything quantized and sanitized, you can still get a lot done with the arranger.

Some tips for making sequenced patterns more lively:

You can have different patches loaded on each part. Let's say you have your lead on the Synth, and typical percussion elements on Drums 1-4. You could switch the patch loaded up on the remaining parts on different patterns. Maybe a drone patch on Drum 5 for Patterns 1-4, and a shaker on Drum 5 for Patterns 5-8. You squeezed in a whole extra instrument for your chorus.

You have 6 automation parameters on the Synth part. In the sequencer, below the Note and Volume/Pan buttons, you have Paramters and Voltage that can also be sequenced. Each offering 3 tweakable inputs. The Voltage can be used to control things for which you have an input on the Patch Panel (such as Filter Freq.), and the Parameter can control anything that has knob.

One thing that I enjoyed the most was setting up my patterns in logical sections of the song and looping them in the song sequencer. As they looped I'd assign different Parameters and Voltages to the Kaosspad and record some tweaking into the sequence. Like for a build up I'd have a couple Patterns loaded into the song and looping. I'd hit record and play with a filter sweep across the patterns. Then I'd switch the Kaosspad to control the effect parameters and then record some effects automation. Now when those Patterns are used in the song they sound more unified and interesting, since the automation goes beyond a single bar.
dswo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for those tips.
Jimboeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! Very Happy
Great tips, they're really, really helpfull!
Korgborg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Multi-pattern white noise buildup on iMS20 Reply with quote

disc-chord wrote:

One thing that I enjoyed the most was setting up my patterns in logical sections of the song and looping them in the song sequencer. As they looped I'd assign different Parameters and Voltages to the Kaosspad and record some tweaking into the sequence. Like for a build up I'd have a couple Patterns loaded into the song and looping. I'd hit record and play with a filter sweep across the patterns. Then I'd switch the Kaosspad to control the effect parameters and then record some effects automation. Now when those Patterns are used in the song they sound more unified and interesting, since the automation goes beyond a single bar.

Hi disc-chord

I have played with this feature and typically use a 3 pattern sequence for a smooth transition between ramp-up and breakdowns. I have struggled for a while now to create a continuous white noise ramp up across say three patterns. I have tried this on the synth and a drum part, but fail miserably. Ideally I would like to use a drum part to leave my synth to do some other cool stuff, but the noise appears in steps across the drum sequence and there is always a distinct break across patterns. I think this is a big drawback on the iMS20 because the song composition is far easier on other platforms.

I love the iMS20 and desperately trying to work this out because dance music uses this effect a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: