Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a KRONOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: I want a KRONOS Reply with quote

Or I would settle for a fully loaded OASYS.

Any ideas? How are the rest of you doing it?
I have no money besides the accumulated value of my gear, although I have just started earning.

I know this is already covered but I'm really struggling to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Open to criticism, whatever.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a KRONOS Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Any ideas? How are the rest of you doing it?
I have no money besides the accumulated value of my gear, although I have just started earning.

Me? I'm employed.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, not really a very well thought out topic.
I'm employed now too Very Happy

But aside from that? anything else involved? selling? banking e.g. credit? magic?
I don't really have a clue - I've never bought something so expensive outright myself before.

I would have begged my parents for an OASYS but they insisted on buying me a car instead...

Its also kinda disconcerting that I've probably spent an accumulated value equal to that of KRONOS on gear, but the resale value of my entire collection is about a quarter of that.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
master logic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used credit to buy studio equipment for over 10 years. Went bankrupt, owing £55,000 & had to sell ALL my equipment. I've not made music for the last 4 years & have been without equipment since (formally an Oasys owner). I have a computer but i don't want to use software & so it's a long hard slog to save for a Kronos. The thing i'm looking forward to most though is actually owning the keyboard outright, so no one can take it from me, that i've work hard for it.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Okay, not really a very well thought out topic.
I'm employed now too Very Happy

But aside from that? anything else involved? selling? banking e.g. credit? magic?
I don't really have a clue - I've never bought something so expensive outright myself before.

I would have begged my parents for an OASYS but they insisted on buying me a car instead...

Its also kinda disconcerting that I've probably spent an accumulated value equal to that of KRONOS on gear, but the resale value of my entire collection is about a quarter of that.

Most significant dealers in Uk will offer at least a 12 month 0% finance option. Depends on credit check of course - you may need your parents to be guarantors... Anything over 12 months and you'll have to pay high interest.

You could negotiate an overdraft at the bank or take a bank loan (cheaper than shops over 12+ months). But only do it if you can afford the payments which will be around £225 per month.

Alternatively, if you smoke, give it up and save up! If you drink lots then give that up too! Take a bar job pulling pints... ?

No magic involved - either credit or hard work!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

master logic wrote:
I used credit to buy studio equipment for over 10 years. Went bankrupt, owing £55,000 & had to sell ALL my equipment. I've not made music for the last 4 years & have been without equipment since (formally an Oasys owner). I have a computer but i don't want to use software & so it's a long hard slog to save for a Kronos. The thing i'm looking forward to most though is actually owning the keyboard outright, so no one can take it from me, that i've work hard for it.

Ouch. That must've been a horrid thing to go through.

I used to feel the same about company cars - when I lost the job, I lost the car which was a nightmare as at the time lived in the countryside! I now never take neither a company car nor a loan to get a car. Don't want to immobile ever again!

Good luck in your quest for the Kronos - will mean all the more when you get it!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us could easily buy a Kronos by canceling our cell phones!
Play more gigs?
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello you're quite right about the smoking. I worked out that I was spending about 2k a year on it so I gave up in December and bought myself my pa800. Of course that was second hand and I got a good deal so really I have £1100 left to spend. What shall I buy now? Lol.

Brad, only go for the credit option if you can really afford the repayments as I also have been down that route and it didn't end well. Luckily I'm back on my feet again but it was one hell of a rough patch for me!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:
Cello you're quite right about the smoking. I worked out that I was spending about 2k a year on it so I gave up in December and bought myself my pa800. Of course that was second hand and I got a good deal so really I have £1100 left to spend. What shall I buy now? Lol.

Brad, only go for the credit option if you can really afford the repayments as I also have been down that route and it didn't end well. Luckily I'm back on my feet again but it was one hell of a rough patch for me!

Ditto here Pp! I'm spending about £10 a day on cigars... Embarassed That's well over £3,500 a year. Just putting my daily £10 in a jar would get me a K in less than a year. Trouble is, I'd have to hide the jar very well so that Mrs Cello couldn't find it otherwise Manolo Blanik would get my money Shocked

Good advice about the credit by the way - glad you're all sorted again.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£3.5k is so much money! I would lie and say how much better I feel for giving up smoking but really I just did it for the money I'm saving and I don't get moaned at by all my non smoking friends and family now!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can probably afford the Kronos a little down the line if I think about it. If I sold off all my gear (the Radias is very hard to let go of), which is ultimately why I want it - to put everything in one box, so to speak. I think I'd probably take the finance option too if I can get it. Despite what you read here I am quite financially aware. Just wanted to see what other people are thinking. I'd never go for something I can't actually afford to pay back!

The only expensive habit I have to give up at the moment is buying music gear. And possibly drinking coffee, but if I gave that up then I wouldn't be able to stay awake long enough to play, currently, it feels like Rolling Eyes

I think my most viable option at the moment is to continue with my OASYS/Origin inspired clone in Reaktor.

Thanks for the reality check guys.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading everyone's stories about various faults on the Kronos it sounds like you're better off waiting a bit until they've got it sorted out. Last thing you want to do is sell everything for a keyboard with a dodgy data wheel, a fan that's louder than your fridge and a fuse that blows after 5 hours of play. Personally if I was one of these people who was importing one in from the states to save a couple of hundred bucks then I'd be peeing my pants right about now. Last thing you want is a dodgy Kronos and no warranty!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> everyone's

Who is everyone?

> dodgy data wheel

None here.

>a fan that's louder than your fridge

Hehehehe wow, talking about blowing it out of proportion!

> and a fuse that blows after 5 hours of play

OK, no one knows what happened to that keyboard.

Amazing. What a way to spin the posts!
mjames4208

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!! thread hijacker alert.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, all I have currently is a yamaha upright baby grand and their Psr-270 kiddie crap. I need to buy all the accessories that are needed with a kronos. The whole setup will cost more than 5000 dollars. I have about 350 right now and I need to find a way to make enough money before the summer ends (I'm still in highschool)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: