Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a KRONOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than willing to take donations towards my Kronos 88 fund. Wink

Well... now I feel like a cheap relative. And I don't even know you guys that well. Ah, well... in my case, debating selling things, though I look at ebay and see that things only seem to sell for any decent amount when I'm bidding on them! Bah.

Still juggling ideas...
franzlp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your issue has an incredibly simple solution and you don't even have to sell anything.... just get a summer job and break a little sweat ..... now if you were talking Oasys88 that would be different as you might actually have to work for a year and then try to find one. Just get a job. We all had to do the same at some point in life.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade has a job. Not everybody that works a hard day can afford to buy a Kronos. Indeed few can. He was just reaching out for ideas about how to get one, given his lack of finances.

X-Trade I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can find a way to buy your instrument. In the mean time, there are more important things in life - and to be honest you have some very nice equipment already. Hopefully one day soon you can add a Kronos to your studio Smile
franzlp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think you answered part of the question. If finances are questionable I would not delve into buying a Kronos just yet. Put any money you have to spare in a CD or high yield fund and have some patience in getting the dream machine. Someone once said ..."People first, then money, then things..." Don't sell your stuff that's silly. Take it from an Oasys owner that waited 15 yrs (right through years of wonderful gear) to afford and get the cream of the crop of workstations by the time it came around.
dumeril7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer, and you're probably not going to like it, is in something you wrote:

Quote:
"Its also kinda disconcerting that I've probably spent an accumulated value equal to that of KRONOS on gear, but the resale value of my entire collection is about a quarter of that."

Wait for a year or two and buy used. The Kronos, as magnificent as it is, is still a technology product and will be much cheaper on the used market, once that market comes into existence. And it will. Especially once somebody introduces something even more sexy. Let somebody else buy new and take the depreciation hit.

In 30 years of gear horsetrading my used purchases have been far better investments financially. Its not even close. In fact, I've made a profit on some of them and have never lost more than maybe 20% tops selling something back into the used market. Sure, there's the risk of not having a warranty and the thing needing repair, but in the long haul I've saved way more money buying used than I have had to shell out to have something repaired.

In the meantime, I'd say just stick with what you have (which seemed like a pretty capable set-up to me) and start saving your money. By the time the 1st generation of Kronos' owners start selling, perhaps you'll be ready to pay cash...

D7
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Synthesizedclapping,

VERY cool nick BTW Wink

Anyhow, where do you get the 5000 USD figure? Unless you are going to tour with the Moody Blues Kronos has everything you would need out of the box really.

I DO hope you can get your Kronos. I really liked your post in the destroying the Kronos section. You know the value of a buck and I like your attitude. I have a sense that you will find a way Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figure
Kronos 73: best i can do is $3,300
Good speaker: $900
Pedals: around $175 (exp. , sustain , switch)
Stand : $200
Case: less than $400 (I want a flight case)
Bench: $130
Cables, surge protector, : $130

It should be a little bit around $5000.

Anything sure would beat the yamaha psr-270 goin through the monotron into a used 15w guitar amp that distorts everything. My "band" likes playing house of the rising sun and frankly the yamaha won't cut it.

Also, I feel like the reason making music is fun is because of the awesome sounds that come out of it. Is it true that a good keyboard can make you a better musician? I'm at the skill level where it's all about experience.

I sure hope to get a Kronos. Smile thanks Vlad.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthesizedclapping wrote:

Anything sure would beat the yamaha psr-270 goin through the monotron into a used 15w guitar amp that distorts everything.

Wow, you're braver than I am! But then my amp is still kind of new so I'm slightly more wary about blowing it.
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:

Anything sure would beat the yamaha psr-270 goin through the monotron into a used 15w guitar amp that distorts everything.

Wow, you're braver than I am! But then my amp is still kind of new so I'm slightly more wary about blowing it.

Well I try and be careful. I need to sell it soon.
What amp do you use?
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did all you older folk make money for gear back in the day?
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost afraid to ask. But what qualifies as an "old folk"? Lol.
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:

Was over 18 before 2000

Last edited by Synthesizedclapping on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself, I got a job and saved - that's the usual route. However, 'in those days' your expectations were probably not so high. Wink
ChristianRock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save up until you have the money to buy one... Think

There has been a lot of gear that I've wanted throughout the years that I didn't buy because I didn't have the money. But when I wanted something bad enough, eventually I'd get it, even if it was in the used market, and a couple years down the line.

I'm planning on getting the Kronos in 6-9 months from now, for that reason.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:

Was under 18 before 2000

Don't you mean over 18 before 2000? So you're saying that anyone 29 or older now passes as old folk? Please pass me the gun now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: