Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos upright pianos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some great posts you guys.

Just a quick late-night note. Coming from a Solstice music party-sing-along, and the only keyboard was a small spinet. POS, but wasn't so bad it wasn't playable, and there was something fun and charming about how rinky tink it sounded.

It was strange though- I was like, I need a bass boost, little mid scoop, a little hi end sparkle, a little more volume- but uh no! If I wanted it louder I had to bang it out- which was both a blast and challenging, but loads of fun when you've got the whole room singing with you-

I grew up singing around the piano, which is what got me enthusiastically self-enlisting to learn to play it at age 7. Aint nothin' quite like it!

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My advice to keyboardists is to get a sound that you like, then cut 50% of the bass out of it. Keyboardists have a big problem with too much bass, especially if they're heavy LH players.

That is very good advice! I notice that a lot of synth presets have boosted the low-end EQ, typically 100Hz. The programmers do this because it helps to make the sound big, full, and rich. That's OK in the store, and even for playing around at home, but, 100Hz is Bass territory. Too much with a live band, and the lower notes will tend to get in the way of the bass and kick. And in the studio, it will just muddy things up.

The great thing about the Set List in Kronos is that each list has a Graphic EQ setting, so it's really easy to tailor the bottom end to the gig, without needing to adjust every sound.

jg::
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip: remove half of the reverb, especially if you are playinig in a complete band, you don't want to drown the clean sound in the complete mix. I normally cut off 50% (or more) of the reverb.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still: zero the reverb and then work upwards.

Reverb covers a lot of sins. That's a [very] good thing, but it's a universal, and therefore overused.

To put it in (Christian-centric) religious terms: repentance is fine, but nothing demands you do penitence for the sins of the other guy.

So zero-out the reverb and then work up for your venue.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
Better still: zero the reverb and then work upwards.

Reverb covers a lot of sins. That's a [very] good thing, but it's a universal, and therefore overused.

To put it in (Christian-centric) religious terms: repentance is fine, but nothing demands you do penitence for the sins of the other guy.

So zero-out the reverb and then work up for your venue.

I assume with working upwards you mean:
- zero the reverb
- work at the program/combi
- add a moderate amount of reverb (usually less than the original default)

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But there is a fuzzy division between working the program/combi and working the reverb.

The way I think about this is probably naive, but here it is. There is reverb that is inherently associated with the instrument/sound (which, more precisely, is an approximation to resonance), and then there is reverb associated with the venue. As a sound designer, there is a subtle (perhaps ineffable) line between the two. The trick as a sound designer is not to cross the line, or at least not to cross it too far. The trick as a performer is to set up your system-wide reverb to get what you want out of the performance venue without breaking the sound expressed by the voice/performance/combi.

If that's not vague enough, get back to me. With practice, I'm sure I can converge on perfect imprecision. Smile

shap
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean.

That's why I use about 20-50% reverb only mostly. If I use less I want the sound to be stand out more of the 'mix' of the rest of the band, usually synth sounds are good for this (altough some delay can add nice results).

For a piano which has natural reverb I normally use a bit more. For ballads (we have a few) I sometimes use more since it adds a bit more ambiance.

But the way Shap describes it is the best way, to think how much is part of of the instrument and how much is part of the venue.

shap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
But the way Shap describes it is the best way, to think how much is part of of the instrument and how much is part of the venue.

Umm.

There are moments on this forum when I feel "hey, I'm 45 years old, I've been performing since I was 10, and even though I'm an amateur I've seen 35 years of gear and that makes it easier not to get excessively excited." Though I note that hasn't helped with KRONOS Smile

Quite apart from that, I have some professional accumulation of experience in high-confidence systems analysis, and certain things only seem "obvious" after a certain amount of road rash and "been there, done that".

But at the end of the day, I'm terribly aware that I'm an amateur musician, and however well I know my gear, I've shipped software (my day job) rather than albums. I've made my "f*ck you" money on the strength of my decisions, but there are people here who've done that by selling music, and that's a s**t-load harder than what I do.

So if what I have to say seems sensible, give it a harsh second view and see if it still makes sense. But if it still makes sense on second read, well, I'm mostly applying 40 years of common-sense business experience. Partly, of course, I do it as a way of re-enforcing signal to noise. But if you think I've got it wrong, please call me on it! Maybe you're right, maybe I am, but sorting that out is how the future of synthesis gets shaped!
TheWeed42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboardists who are concerned with FX usage? Shocked

That is awesome. Most players I work with would give me the blank stare if I asked them to adjust their reverb. "You mean it does what now?"

Although to be fair, a lot of them are using boards that need a computer science degree to program. I think that's why Clavia have made such a killing in this market. It was a novel concept for a while to think that all the parameters would be laid out on the board and labeled with dedicated controls. No longer so exclusive, but still no one does it quite as thoroughly.

Kronos's set list EQ now, THERE is a great idea.
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWeed42 wrote:
Most players I work with would give me the blank stare if I asked them to adjust their reverb. "You mean it does what now?"

Naive question:

How much of that comes about because the keyboardist is ignorant, and how much because their [current] keyboard gives them f*ck-all in the way of visualization, conceptualization, and/or a sensible [human] model of the processing chain?

I'm looking backwards, and I'm wondering if the rise of PCM (under whatever nom du jour) didn't force a "one trick pony" kind of view. On the positive side, PCM can represent absolutely anything. But on the negative side, capturing something as a waveform reflects a decision to collapse some part of the processing chain into an indivisible blob, with the result that the processing model is more or less reduced to ineffable magic in the eyes of the 17-18 year old (er, umm, I mean: in the eyes of the keyboardist).

And I wonder whether this doesn't account for some of why something like the V-Synth is viewed favorably. Nothing is collapsed. It's all there, fully naked and exposed, awaiting the pleasure of the proverbial under-age musician's caress. [Shap pauses for a moment to close the literotica window.] Sorry. Got distracted there for a moment. Wink

Dirty late-night metaphors aside, I'm attempting a serious question here. Reactions?
TheWeed42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
How much of that comes about because the keyboardist is ignorant, and how much because their [current] keyboard gives them f*ck-all in the way of visualization, conceptualization, and/or a sensible [human] model of the processing chain?

I honestly think it is a combination of both. Lots of keyboardists were first pianists, and you don't have to worry about FX and EQ on an acoustic piano. So, many people assume that they don't have to worry about settings as long as they liked the sounds when they bought their boards. Also, I see a lot of classically-trained guys who think, "I've got 88 keys and I have to use ALL of them in every song."

Then, add the fact that the biggest and best boards of the last 10 years are imposing monolith workstations that only the very dedicated or bored take time to learn completely. When the choice of how to spend your limited rehearsal time is between nailing your parts for each song and fiddling with your FX and EQ, most people will choose the former.

Interesting example: two of the regular keyboardists I work with were talking about patch settings. Player #1 owns a Yamaha MO8, which is a very flexible, programmable board with great sounds. Player #2 owned every piece of gear you could mention in the 1980s, including a DX7. And Player #2 said that the MO8 was okay, but he wanted to get a Nord Stage 2 because "you can change parameters while you're playing." Currently he uses an M-Audio ProKeys 88 because it's simple, cheap and rugged. Different priorities? Oh yeah.

Thing is, with the MO8 you CAN change all sorts of things in real time. It just takes some effort to learn how to do it. But it's so intimidating that people have given up trying. And if you should lose your patch settings, good luck getting that five hours back.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWeed42 wrote:
Quote:
Thing is, with the MO8 you CAN change all sorts of things in real time. It just takes some effort to learn how to do it. But it's so intimidating that people have given up trying. And if you should lose your patch settings, good luck getting that five hours back.

Yeah- most workstations make it fairly straightforward to change things up in real time on the single Patch/Program level. But once you get a combi going, it's gets much less visually accessible and more complex to alter individual programs within it, though there usually is a Master/Total FX buss where the overall reverb can be adjusted easily.

It also depends on your style. I guess I'm just slow at this stuff or something, but it often takes me a long time to HEAR the total sound, to know if I'll like it.

Like with the Grand Piano patches in the Nord. I went ahead, now that i know I wasn't hearing them in their proper glory, and re-auditioned all the Grand Piano patches. As i listening I'm asking, "How does the right hand sound compared to the left hand?"; "Is this piano best suited for boogiewoogie or new age or classical?"; "Are there glaring notes that hurt my ears" (I find this with many sounds to happen around G5); "How muddy/dark/unpleasant does the left hand get when you play chords". Etc.

And even with the Nord Stage, I find it takes me a long time to dial in the fx/controllers, etc., knowing full well that the sound changes dramatically depending on how loud I'm playing, if I'm playing with others, the quality of the sound system, etc. I pity the people who suffer through me getting my sound down!

The Nord Stage is also for people like me who will spend weeks, even months, auditioning similar Programs (my M3) within any given category so I know which ones I like (which turned out to be about 20% of them). By having only a handful of sounds, but all of them excellent, I'm spared that ordeal.

And the sheer amount of organization, learning, etc. I think the Kronos is worthy of that kind of investment, but being that I find it difficult enough to be disciplined to just practice the keyboard for the many songs/projects I've got going, it's nice to not be distracted, 'cause I will be.

But having built-in sequencing and a real audio recorder and combis that can be 16 Programs deep with that kind of sound quality and fx- !!!!! At some point I'll have to jump in the deep end.

Randy
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shap- thanks for all the monitor input. I actually have a good setup- KRK 6000s, made back in the day when their higher end monitors used Focal drivers. But that's in my bedroom- I usually play in the living room, which has the Motionsound and a Fender PD-250 (Bose speakers inside).

The part about rolling off the bass is good stuff too! I LOVE playing left hand bass, and am a big fan of 2 basses: one holding down the fort, the other being more rhythmic/melodic, perhaps an octave higher (still in the bass register).

But getting people to go along with that is not always easy! I have a similar thing with vocals- I play my best flute WITH someone, vocal or otherwise, I guess I'm partner oriented in that sense. Whereas a lot of jazz players are pretty strict about taking turns, which often makes sense but misses out on a lot of the fun if that's the only way. But yeah, roll off the bass!

In re-auditioning the pianos on the Stage, I just really love the smooth, full character of the Concert Grand 1, which is their version of the Steinway D close mic'd. This thread, on a Korg forum, has helped me a lot with my Stage!

Randy
shap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Shap- thanks for all the monitor input. I actually have a good setup- KRK 6000s, made back in the day when their higher end monitors used Focal drivers....

Very sorry if I ended up telling you stuff you already know. A lot of people helped me when it was my turn to learn, and I was trying to pass it along.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
Randelph wrote:
Shap- thanks for all the monitor input. I actually have a good setup- KRK 6000s, made back in the day when their higher end monitors used Focal drivers....

Very sorry if I ended up telling you stuff you already know. A lot of people helped me when it was my turn to learn, and I was trying to pass it along.

Are you kidding? No, thanks for all your enthusiasm and good input. I've been enjoying your input in multiple threads and appreciate the deeper discussions.

One thing that I've found mostly lacking on keyboard forums is talking about the nuts and bolts of how people relate/organize/control their boards. Just like I was talking about the incredible amount of work I did at one point with the M3 to get something of a handle on what sounds I like (so much work; they need a decent librarian for that board).

I ended up putting numeric tags at the beginning of Programs that I like so that even with the abbreviated screen read out within Category mode I knew what sounds had been auditioned and liked. But that's just one small example.

There's literally an endless amount of organizing/configuring of boards that can take years. Kevin Nolan, in this forum, talked about 2 years worth of work organizing his Programs/Combis/Samples to his liking on the Oasys.

When I was suffering/struggling with the Motif XS for 2 years, I often wondered why they didn't have an onboard memory system so that the board could be configured like such and so prominent artist does for the controllers. So, for example, if you were playing EP patches and wanted a Lyle Mays configuration of joystick/ribbon/vector/assignable knobs and sliders/etc., then you could choose that and you would KNOW what the bleep things were set for (at least for EP patches).

Anyway- back to playing music!

Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: