Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow I think this person may have voided their warranty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANYWAY, there were absolutely no latency issue with Oasys, and i have no latency issue with kronos so far. (unless my ears need 8ms to send the sound to my brain) !
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
...unless my ears need 8ms to send the sound to my brain !

Assuming you're less than 45 feet tall, that seems unlikely. But the amount of time you need to process the signal in your brain depends a lot on the user..
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of latency, are there any pipe organists in this group? Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:

Well I studied it at Uni, don't get to play one often these days!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyplayer14 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I played normal organ and the lowest 'footmate' (sorry don't know the english term) is 16' which equals about 5 m. I don't know if 32' also exist (that would be 10m).

Since the sound is travelling up through the pipe and going down after reflection it takes at least 20 m.
Sound travels with about 300m/s so the latency is 67ms.

Note that for small pipes (2') the latency is only 4 ms and the 'normal' is 8' which results in 16 ms.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
keyplayer14 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I played normal organ and the lowest 'footmate' (sorry don't know the english term) is 16' which equals about 5 m. I don't know if 32' also exist (that would be 10m).

Since the sound is travelling up through the pipe and going down after reflection it takes at least 20 m.
Sound travels with about 300m/s so the latency is 67ms.

Note that for small pipes (2') the latency is only 4 ms and the 'normal' is 8' which results in 16 ms.

Then you have to add the latency for the distance from the pipe to the performer's ear as well as the delays in the electro-magnetic keying system. Adding everything up the total latency can be a significant amount, so much so that you may be playing several notes ahead of what you are hearing. I had a friend come down to the Elks Lodge in Los Angeles when the great Robert Morton organ there was still in its prime. She was an accomplished pianist but could not get more than a few notes played before giving up. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Then you have to add the latency for the distance from the pipe to the performer's ear as well as the delays in the electro-magnetic keying system

...without mentioning the latency of an organ equipped with a tubular-pneumatic traction Wink
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:
Then you have to add the latency for the distance from the pipe to the performer's ear as well as the delays in the electro-magnetic keying system

...without mentioning the latency of an organ equipped with a tubular-pneumatic traction Wink

To all of which you can add the sometimes remote position of the console in vast resonant buildings....still, it's a tremendous feeling to play in some of those spaces though!
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for bumping this thread again, but I'm surprised this chap didn't try loading another 2Gb RAM just to see if it works.

I'm starting to feel that the stock 2Gb isn't enough.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
...except D510 is definitely by far NOT the best low-power embedded system CPU that's out there. Wink

Other options? ARM? VIA? Both those are lower-power consumption chips, but I wonder if the performance would be good enough. AMD Fusion APU is optimized for graphics performance so I don't think it would be a good fit for the Kronos.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel has other Atom CPUs that are more powerful, D510 is not the best. That's all I'm saying.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Intel has other Atom CPUs that are more powerful, D510 is not the best. That's all I'm saying.

If the D510 is good enough why not use it. Development of a synth takes years and changing a processor during the course of development might take quite some risk and time.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=29035&MarketSegment=DT

True, they could have used the D525 (1.8Ghz vs 1.66Ghz clock speed). Looks like the same cost too, but it launched a quarter after the D510 so maybe the timing wasn't good to incorporate it into the Kronos.

I feel that Korg should have gone instead with a ULV core i3 as long they were planning to use a fan. This one in particular has only 5 watts more power consumption, but is a huge leap in performance and can accommodate up to 8Gb RAM. 'Course it would added $50-100 to the overall price too.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49021&processor=i3-330UM&spec-codes=SLBUG

Maybe they could have made different versions of the Kronos--the low performance Atom and the high performance Core at different price points.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:

Maybe they could have made different versions of the Kronos--the low performance Atom and the high performance Core at different price points.

Hopefully that will be AFTER they create an SV-II version of the Kronos that has the piano/organ/ep/HD-1 engines, with weighted 76 note action (C-E), joystick and ribbon on the top panel, weighing under 30 pounds!!!

Randy
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
madbeatzyo111 wrote:

Hopefully that will be AFTER they create an SV-II version of the Kronos that has the piano/organ/ep/HD-1 engines, with weighted 76 note action (C-E), joystick and ribbon on the top panel, weighing under 30 pounds!!!

Randy

I think it's a natural progression, I'm certain the next flagship workstation from the big 3 will have a better CPU (using a low-power 22nm process) than the Atom that can accommodate loads of additional RAM.

...BTW you forgot about physical pads!!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: