Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects in combis
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Effects in combis Reply with quote

Just wondering if there was a way to take a program and have it sound exactly the same in a combi - effects and all? I know about copying the master fx and insert effects, but was wondering if there was a single command that would configure the IFX so that the program would sound exactly as in program mode?

How do you guys make the programs sound as close as possible in combi mode?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Effects in combis Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Just wondering if there was a way to take a program and have it sound exactly the same in a combi - effects and all? I know about copying the master fx and insert effects, but was wondering if there was a single command that would configure the IFX so that the program would sound exactly as in program mode?

How do you guys make the programs sound as close as possible in combi mode?

I use the Copy From Program menu command, on Combi P0.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aron....

Yes there is a way to take A program and have it sound exactly the same in Combi... but, not several programs. The IFXs are not part of the Programs (Except some of the new engines have the instrument specific effects in them), they are part of the Mixer section, that's same across all different modes.

Think of them as 16 effects processors and a mixer in a studio, and the parts/timbers as instruments/musicians..... You patch each instrument into the mixer and route the signal to one of the effects processors....

You don't get 16 x 16 effects processors in Combi or Song mode. So, you will have to do some mixing and sound design in Combi and Song mode for the specific needs of that combi and song. There are shortcuts to copy effects settings from Program to Combi, but it copies settings from processor to processor.... For example if you are using A001 in combi and that program in Program mode is routed to IFX1->IFX2->MFX1.... when you copy those to combi, and already have sounds using IFX1 and IFX2, you have to specify which one to overwrite..... It's very flexible, but can become complex... like anything flexibility adds complexity...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is probably copying the most important effects from all the programs being used in a combi to the combi itself. Then reroute all programs to the most applicable effects (meaning that the programs where no(t all) effects are available anymore will be rerouted.

Quite some time ago I have thought about automatically combine effects but this is very hard to accomplish.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's become part of my workflow with many Korg keyboards over the years, to look at the sound I'm considering in Program mode, and check out the effects. There's often only 2 or 3 Insert Effects there, but even there, some of those inserts might only be active when you turn a knob or use the joystick, etc. Those effects may be unnecessary to copy across. And in some cases, just a general purpose reverb in the Master Effects is enough. You can get quite fast at checking these details while you're working, I don't find it difficult.

So, quite regularly, after copying various insert effects across for some programs, I still find myself with spare Insert Effects slots. Even if using 5 of them for a drumkit, as many of the kits do.

Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the per channel EQ for each of 16 MIDI and 16 Audio channels. There is an option to load the EQ settings for MIDI sounds from Program by default. So, the EQ is carried over automatically when you call up different programs into Combi or Songs. You do have option to disable that and dial in your own EQ settings though....

With 12 IFXs, that are available to multiple MIDI and Audio parts at the same time, and 32 EQs... there is a lot of room for a great mix.....
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Here's what I was thinking... Ok, yes, there are 12 ifx but unless I mistook something, they are mostly identical to the mfx. So it is conceivable that there could be a copy/ paste function that can recreate the entire effects configuration for a program using the ifx only. Of course you will run out of fix, but maybe you can really nail 2 or more pograms. Unfortunately, I noticed that the ifx are used somewhat regularly for trivial effects (eq etc.)
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects in combis Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Just wondering if there was a way to take a program and have it sound exactly the same in a combi - effects and all?

Hi Aron , Let me translate what everyone here just said , with out all the BS ,

the answer is " NO" and is most likely going to be the biggest let down of this board besides the sequencer . WHY , because Korg is good at hype and once your initial excitement of the Kronos wheres down and your just left with a workstation to create music then you can see clearly that somethings wrong, the same thing that was wrong with Oasys that we begged Korg to fix and they did nothing . Go to the Oasys forum and look it up .Name me one thing that was wrong with Oasys that Korg fixed for the Kronos .

let me ask this question ? What's the point of having 9 synthesis engines , if I can't create my own combi instantly with them in the year 2011 . Why should I have to copy and add effects to a sound in combi mode , I paid $3000 for Korg to do that for me .

When you get an idea and your ready to create and start to layer sounds
you don't want to have to stop every time to add effects to each sound in your combi just so it will sound the way it's supposed to in the 1st place .

I'm sorry because I know how it feels to have a new instrument and be excited to play it but what Kronos user are about to learn is what Oasys users already know all so well . What I will say about Oasys users is that they tried to make the Kronos great for you .

The Kurzweil PC3 has come very close to fixing this problem but the Access Virus Ti just may be the greatest Synth ever made for workflow IMHO.

The Kronos is still a great board but it could have been so munch better .
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:
It's become part of my workflow with many Korg keyboards over the years, to look at the sound I'm considering in Program mode, and check out the effects. There's often only 2 or 3 Insert Effects there, but even there, some of those inserts might only be active when you turn a knob or use the joystick, etc. Those effects may be unnecessary to copy across. And in some cases, just a general purpose reverb in the Master Effects is enough. You can get quite fast at checking these details while you're working, I don't find it difficult.

So, quite regularly, after copying various insert effects across for some programs, I still find myself with spare Insert Effects slots. Even if using 5 of them for a drumkit, as many of the kits do.

This is a very good point. Sometimes there are effects in the programs that are turned off. I've also noticed that many have an insert in slot 12 that is not even in the chain...just seems random, but these things make it more difficult to import programs (and their IFX) into combis that already have effects (i.e., when you're "appending"). It doesn't hurt to go through the programs you plan to use and clean up the unused effects.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects in combis Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
the answer is " NO" and is most likely going to be the biggest let down of this board besides the sequencer.

There's a grain of truth to this. But the Kronos has a pretty powerful workaround: the hard disk recorder. Running out of polyphony? Bounce tracks to the HDR and start with a clean slate. Running out of effects? Bounce tracks to the HDR and start with a clean slate. Running out of tracks? Bounce tracks to the HDR and start with a clean slate.

Sure, you're limited to 32 total tracks (16 MIDI and 16 audio), but with the HDR, I can't imagine how you'd ever run out of notes or effects. No one will claim that this is as powerful or flexible as a DAW, but for a hardware workstation, it's pretty good.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>let me ask this question ? What's the point of having 9 synthesis engines , if I can't create my own combi instantly with them in the year 2011 . Why should I have to copy and add effects to a sound in combi mode , I paid $3000 for Korg to do that for me .

Well, besides the effects the other bigger problem was the use of polyphony when the channel is muted. That was a much bigger issue.

I do agree. So I will rephrase. Do you think it would be possible to recreate a program using only the IFX effects? If so, then this feature could be implemented in their editor software. Assuming the effects are the same, this is a simple thing to do.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roceness: for that you will have to get 16 KRONOS...

If KORG had limited the Program sounds to use only 1 IFX (Like Fantom-G), then they could easily claim that you get your sounds same in combi as in program mode. That's one sneaky way of doing it.... hey we have 16 processors, let's just limit 1 processor per sound in program mode, and in combi you just get 16 processors, one for each part/sound. But, Korg left it open, so you can have access to all IFXs in Program mode. Don't shoot them for them.

You should be thankful that KORG left it flexible... because on the other workstations, you can't even copy effects from program to combi or any other way...... you can't tweak effects and update the program/combi, you have to use a new memory slot... you don't get memory slots for effects settings.... you can't instantly start recording a song with all the settings from a combi... and you can't route multiple tracks to a single effects... on .. and on.... So, you should get your expectations realistic...

LOL, you paid KORG $3000 to do mixing in all of your songs and combis?!?!?!

Even if you could copy all 16 programs with all their effects into Combi.... you still had to do tweak/change the effects/levels/eq... etc.. to come up with a decent mix....

In 2011, there is not a single DAW, PC or MAC that will do the mixing for you... you have to use your own effects buses and routings..... No one can predict what you want.

The softsynths thaat come with their own effects, are mostly delays, eq, reverb.... and you can't mix all of them in a song without risking a muddy chaos of sounds going in all different directions.....

KRONOS already copies the EQ settings from program... even that you would have to tweak for a good mix.....

And here is the most time saving benefit of this IMHO... let's say you tweak a synth sound's effects to match the delay timings, feadback and everything for the song... and you wanted to try different synth sounds through the same delay effects settings.... now you just have to call up a different synth sound on the track, and you tweaks will there for the IFX.... if KRONOS automatically loaded effects from the program, like Fantom-G and Yamaha Motif, your tweaks would be down the sink hole.... and you will have to retweak all the effects settings for that specific song/combi...

Aron:
Regarding channel muting, it depends on how you mute the channels... if you mute by lowering the volume, then yes it will eat polyphony, but if you mute the channel by turning OFF the midi, then it won't eat polyphony...

Last edited by Shakil on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my rant guys , it's just that this feature that Aron is asking about to me is the one thing stoping Korg from truly raising the bar .

Korg needs to find away to :

bring programs into combi's with out having to copy effects ,

stop running out of polyphony in combi mode

to be able to control the sound in combi mode like in program mode .

Until Korg fix these things I'm afraid the game has not been change and is actually still quite the same , literally .
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Sorry for my rant guys , it's just that this feature that Aron is asking about to me is the one thing stoping Korg from truly raising the bar .

Korg needs to find away to :

bring programs into combi's with out having to copy effects ,

They can easily do it, if they limited the programs to use a single IFX.
Rocness wrote:

stop running out of polyphony in combi mode

hmmm... this is easily possible, if you just don't play that many notes... I think expecting this is unrealistic... you will never have enough polyphony.. You could run out of polyphony in single mode as well....
Rocness wrote:

to be able to control the sound in combi mode like in program mode .

Agree 100%
Rocness wrote:

Until Korg fix these things I'm afraid the game has not been change and is actually still quite the same , literally .

Yup, add Sequencer to the list.........
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Sorry for my rant guys , it's just that this feature that Aron is asking about to me is the one thing stoping Korg from truly raising the bar.

No worries -- we're all in the same boat of wanting the best machine possible!

Rocness wrote:
to be able to control the sound in combi mode like in program mode.

Yes, full control would be awesome, but with the Tone Adjust (on the Control Surface tab), you can actually the shape the sound of a Program in Combi or SEQ modes pretty substantially (*without* affecting the original program: that's very important).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: