Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects in combis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Roceness: for that you will have to get 16 KRONOS...

If KORG had limited the Program sounds to use only 1 IFX (Like Fantom-G), then they could easily claim that you get your sounds same in combi as in program mode. That's one sneaky way of doing it.... hey we have 16 processors, let's just limit 1 processor per sound in program mode, and in combi you just get 16 processors, one for each part/sound. But, Korg left it open, so you can have access to all IFXs in Program mode. Don't shoot them for them.

You should be thankful that KORG left it flexible... because on the other workstations, you can't even copy effects from program to combi or any other way...... you can't tweak effects and update the program/combi, you have to use a new memory slot... you don't get memory slots for effects settings.... you can't instantly start recording a song with all the settings from a combi... and you can't route multiple tracks to a single effects... on .. and on.... So, you should get your expectations realistic...

LOL, you paid KORG $3000 to do mixing in all of your songs and combis?!?!?!

Even if you could copy all 16 programs with all their effects into Combi.... you still had to do tweak/change the effects/levels/eq... etc.. to come up with a decent mix....

In 2011, there is not a single DAW, PC or MAC that will do the mixing for you... you have to use your own effects buses and routings..... No one can predict what you want.

The softsynths thaat come with their own effects, are mostly delays, eq, reverb.... and you can't mix all of them in a song without risking a muddy chaos of sounds going in all different directions.....

KRONOS already copies the EQ settings from program... even that you would have to tweak for a good mix.....

And here is the most time saving benefit of this IMHO... let's say you tweak a synth sound's effects to match the delay timings, feadback and everything for the song... and you wanted to try different synth sounds through the same delay effects settings.... now you just have to call up a different synth sound on the track, and you tweaks will there for the IFX.... if KRONOS automatically loaded effects from the program, like Fantom-G and Yamaha Motif, your tweaks would be down the sink hole.... and you will have to retweak all the effects settings for that specific song/combi...

Aron:
Regarding channel muting, it depends on how you mute the channels... if you mute by lowering the volume, then yes it will eat polyphony, but if you mute the channel by turning OFF the midi, then it won't eat polyphony...

Point well taken but I got one word for you , Kurzweil .
All I can say is check it out (PC3K8) then get back to me . Look at the way they handle effects . All insert effects stay with the program on there
setups (combi) where ever you move it you don't have to worry about the effects , at lease until you run out of slots .

What about The Access Virus Ti not only does it keep all effects for 16 ch but it will interface 16 channels strait into your daw with USB and the MOTIF XF will stream 16 ch to your daw with firewire . How many ch can Kronos stream to your DAW ? just 2 stereo pair are you serious . Korg there should be 16 ch sound card in Kronos .

@Shakil , I hear you about the whole mixing thing and all that but i'm not talking about mixing this is not about mixing it's about the sound of the program itself that's it . . All I want is for the sound I hear in program mode to sound the same way in combi mode with out me having to do any copying and pasting or whatever and that my friend pretty much every Daw does do that for you . Maybe I don't understand what you mean but I use Logic and I never had to copy any effects . Your point is well taken
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>bring programs into combi's with out having to copy effects ,
stop running out of polyphony in combi mode

I think that my proposal would work for a future upgrade. Basically it would mimic the effects of "important" programs by utilizing the IFX for the most important programs.

As far as not using polyphony for muted programs, yes, when you use MUTE it would be great if it would not use polyphony. Dan already wrote that one down. There's a work-around with Karma, but only for 4 programs and you need to switch modes to use the sliders.

There's always Kronos 2. Twice the polyphony etc... etc...
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Yes, full control would be awesome, but with the Tone Adjust (on the Control Surface tab), you can actually the shape the sound of a Program in Combi or SEQ modes pretty substantially (*without* affecting the original program: that's very important).[/quote]

Yea , Tone adjust is great and it just works .

You know guys , I'm trying to make the Kronos something that it's not and have to appreciate Kronos for what it is right now . I just want my money's worth but I guess at the end of the day Korg made the sound of Oasys available to a wider audience of people and that in itself may be a great accomplishment for Korg .
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is less important to be negative about what isn't there, and more important to be positive about what IS.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a more flexible number of slots and ability to import more effects - perhaps at the expense of polyphony. You get what you pay for in computing power as well (no relation to money here at all btw, just an expression turned analogy), meaning that everything has a tradeoff.

A lot of programs will have a lot of useless or subtle effects that would muddy or just mess up a full song or combi anyway. Besides things like compressors and EQ I'd hardly use 16 effects in a song because it would just be a mess.

When you're building a combi, you're effectively building a song that hasn't been arranged yet - just the mix and instruments. And making music electronically is a technical process. No way simple out of that. Try making a recording of instruments and leaving the mix how it is out of the recorder and tell me that's as good as it gets. The effects in a mix of instruments need to complement eachother and sound in the same space (hence for example good practise of using reverb and delay as 'master' send effects, and actually using it for multiple instruments). The end result will sound better for this limitation because it forces you to think about it a bit more.

Of course, there could always be more slots. But equally I'd like to have the most power available in all modes. So it simply doesn't translate. At least this way you know that each mode is going to sound as good as it gets because Program mode for example isn't arbitrarily limited.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:

You know guys , I'm trying to make the Kronos something that it's not

Yes you are...The Kronos will NEVER have a "Kurzweil" brand name on it no matter how much you want it to.

(Sorry, but I find your complaints ill-founded and ill-worded. There IS a work-around to most of what you said, it just isn't with the press of 1 button. Which is funny, because with VAST and Kurz, there is pretty much nothing you can do with only 1 button press other than turn the keyboard on and off. The kronos has so much more than the PC3k that to compare them is silly to me.)

You asked to name something that the Kronos fixed that the Oasys didn't have.
1) Smooth sound transition
2) Setlist mode to switch between combis and programs

There are 2 off the top of my head without even thinking more than 10 seconds.

Note: BOTH of those things I consider more important because they impact actual live performance compared to sound synthesis with a manual work-around.

Quote:
I think it is less important to be negative about what isn't there, and more important to be positive about what IS.

Very Happy
Dany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects in combis Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
aron wrote:
Just wondering if there was a way to take a program and have it sound exactly the same in a combi - effects and all?

Hi Aron , Let me translate what everyone here just said , with out all the BS ,

the answer is " NO" and is most likely going to be the biggest let down of this board besides the sequencer ...

Aron, it is possible to copy a Program in one step into a Combi, together with all the associated effects! (This is finally the same thing that Dan has mentioned.)
In Combi Mode, on the top right of the screen, you just have to open the "Prog Select/Mixer" tab and to choose the function "Copy from Program", than you can choose the Program you want to copy and choose to witch one of the 16 timbres. You can choose if you want to copy the Program with all its associated IFXs, with or without the MFXs and TFXs, and you can choose if you want to copy KARMA and to witch of the 4 modules. So this is quite fast and efficient way, to copy a Program into a Combi with all the associated IFXs (or even with all the MFXs/TFXS) and KARMA. You will of course sometime reach the effect number limit. But in my experience, if you put just 3 to 4 Programs into a combi, you can usually copy all the IFXs together with the Programs, without reaching the effect number limit.

So Rocness I don't understand you. Don't you know this function? Or did I misunderstand you?

-
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> it is possible to copy a Program in one step into a Combi, together with all the associated effects

Dany,

Yes, I understand that. What I was suggesting is that since there could be a lot of programs that use MFX too, then what if it brought over the MFX - but in the form of IFX. Since there are 12 IFX, then maybe it you could get 2 or 3 programs to sound exactly the same (using IFX instead of MFX) - it would require a new copy command - but I think it might be possible.

It was just an idea. I guess the "problem" only occurs when a program is relying on MFX for a particular effect.

Thanks!
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting about asking the system to automatically just do this all, there are many smart ways to get multiple sounds into a Combi sounding pretty close.

When you Copy From Program in the dialog box that comes up select IFXs - All Used. Then choose MFX and TFX as desired. Maybe just MFX to get started.

The only issue here is that it will still bring in the IFX12, which is always used to process the Drum Track, regardless of whether you ticked ON the Drum Track box. So you'll have to go to IFX setup and turn OFF the last IFX slot is brought over - set it to 000: No Effect.

For the second sound do this again, only choosing IFXs - All Used. This will bring in the required IFX which are the strongest "color" in the sound without disrupting the other IFX slots. Again it will bring in the Drum Track IFX which you can turn Off.

Repeat as possible until you have used up all the slots.

A previous poster is right in that not all IFX are sounding on wake-up, some are waiting to be brought in with knobs and other controllers. So you may not need them all.

There is no way for you to enjoy all the power and flexibility of the Korg "way" without looking at, and learning some about how each Program is set up. Nothing wrong with a little study time and smart decision-making.

Look at the IFX Page and the Insert FX Tab to see what is being used, then go to IFX 1-12 and look at each IFX. look at the Output Wet/Dry and if it is Dry with a Source assigned with a positive value to bring the effect in, that is a "hidden" effect, currently. Listen, play and see if it's important to you. If not, go back to the Insert FX Tab and set that IFX to 000: No Effect.

In the Korg programming conventions, MFX2 is always the main Reverb, and MFX1 is mostly used for Chorus, colors, delay, or another Reverb. So not bringing in each of those will not as drastically hurt the sound as not having the IFX. You can route multiple timbres to the same Reverb for a gig and not suffer as much as when you are mixing a full song.

You can then even do what aaron was asking - you can copy an MFX to an IFX - the Copy IFX command from the upper RH allows you to choose IFX, MFX or TFX from a Program/Combi/Song and move it to anywhere you want.

Try these ideas out - learning a bit about this will show you many ways to maximize the effect usage.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what Jerry is saying is good advice, as always, and it's not too hard to get to know how things are "likely" to be arranged, from just a quick glance at the fx pages.

Unlike many keyboards, Korg does not restrict the choice of effects in the 3 differerent effects areas - Insert, Master, Total. The choice of effects is the same everywhere. So as Jerry says, you are free to copy effects Master < > Insert if you need to, but mostly, you won't need to.

Of course it's possible to run out of effects, but I repeat that in my real-world experience of building up Combis used with my DAW for song production, effects restrictions don't usually bother me.

Last edited by jg:: on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I got it. I suppose all I really have to do is work backwards and make the programs only use IFX and then I got it.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in most cases, you'll find that won't be necessary.

jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Thanks guys! I got it. I suppose all I really have to do is work backwards and make the programs only use IFX and then I got it.

I wouldn't' be so severe. There's a reason for an Insert Effect and a reason for a Master Effect, or what is commonly called a Bus effect.

Insert Effects are inserted in-line, and everybody that goes into it goes in with the same amount/values. Things that need to be 100% in the effect (like a compressor) want the Insert, or TFX.

A Bus, or Master Effect allows you to send different sounds into it with varying amounts, which is critical to mixing. A pad/soft attack sound can be given a lot of Reverb to give it space, but a sound with a hard/percussive attack will sound much deeper, and "excite" the Reverb too much at the same deep value. So sometimes you want a Master, or Bus effect routing.

Of course, if you want multiple Reverbs to give different sounds their own space, then you might want/need more than the 2 MFX slots to do that. So of course you can go to an IFX. There are no hard rules for most of this.

But thinking you should only work with IFX won't allow you to enjoy the benefits of sending multiple sounds into the same space with varying amounts. And will likely cause you to waste effect slots to recreate multiple instances of a type of effect (Reverb, Chorus, etc.) that is better used shared in one slot only.

Clear?
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John!

Wink
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>But thinking you should only work with IFX won't allow you to enjoy the benefits of sending multiple sounds into the same space with varying amounts.

Yeah I understand how it works. I was just thinking for the programs that I alter myself, I can make life a little easier for myself and use IFX for critical effects that really change the character of a program and then use the copy command to have the program sound the same.

I've been dealing with this issue for years. My first Korg was the Mono/Poly - now Korg isn't planning to add that to the Kronos are they? Wink
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness:

I prefer to keep the effects of program in program mode, because bringing the effects from program to combi/song automatically will overwrite my own tweaks/settings of the effects for that particular combi/song. If I like effects of a program, I can just copy it to combi/song with few clicks...

Comparing to Virus Ti..... that's a really nice synth... but not a workstation... with Kronos... you don't even need an external DAW... just record individual tracks to the HD recorder...... You can even record a full combi on a stereo audio track... and then layer another full combi on top....... all in digital domain..

Also, remember that some engines have their own internal effects, that do not take any IFX slots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: