Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best.....But in what context???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
techman09

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: The best.....But in what context??? Reply with quote

I am just wondering, have you all noticed that much of the debate about this workstation vs. that workstation becomes irrelevant in the context of what a person is actually looking for in the keyboard??

For instance: Take me for an example. I am a fan of technology, having studied computer engineering and being a studio musician/music leader in my church. I enjoy new products and innovations. I especially appreciate the SSD drive in the Kronos and the 9 synth engines, however because of how I work, and the sound that I favor, I have not once been compelled to abandon my current keyboard which shall remain nameless Smile.....

So, I dunno, it just seems like once you introduce the subjective qualities of a workstation that much of the "this vs. that" argument becomes irrelevant.... just 2 cents of a thought....
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: I certainly agree Reply with quote

Hello techman09,
that's a very compelling observation.
I think that you'll find a majority of purchases are made from an emotional mindset, rather than one from logic and reason.

The need to have the latest and greatest this or that, is very powerful to some.

The need to keep up with the Joneses "or Jordan Rudess" is yet another motivation.

An often overlooked motivation is the search for inspiration, and the notion that you might just find it in a new piece of gear.

Usually the corporate battle cry is simply "generate need and desire"! And by all means "sell product"!

I believe that you'll find numerous musicians in this forum that have the same basic view as you, and aren't rushing out to buy Kronos, but asking the question: What does Kronos have that I don't already?

Cheers, Hanon
operaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more direct to the point. You are a Yamaha Motif XF fan from your posts which is perfectly fine and welcome in any forum where intelligent discussion goes on. From my perspective, the Kronos gives me a lot of versatility in one package.

If your Motif XF gives you inspiration then that is what you should use. It is a great keyboard in its own right. As to what the Kronos would give you that you do not already have? Difficult to answer when one does not know your style or needs. Use what makes you happy. As to a workstation comparison, there is no comparison. If someone were looking for a new workstation today the Kronos obliterates any and all competition at this price point both in feature and sound quality. It is simply unequaled.

Yamaha and Roland got a lot of catching up to do...
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I certainly agree Reply with quote

Hanon_CTS wrote:
An often overlooked motivation is the search for inspiration, and the notion that you might just find it in a new piece of gear.

That always works for me.

Very Happy
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I certainly agree Reply with quote

Hanon_CTS wrote:
What does Kronos have that I don't already?

Play one. Smile
Laste7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot really understand that. You assume that the people just buy because of emotional mindset? Has everybody to explain now why he need a kronos, before posting something here?
I think, somebody who made the descission to buy a Kronos will of course
say that the Kronos is the best....why should he buy one, if not????

For me the Kronos has a lot of Advantages (I play live gigs, no studio, my Kronos will get dirty Smile:

1. Just need one instead of two boards (because setlist and SST make it more flexible)
2. Don't need a submixer on stage anymore
3. Don't need my laptop anymore on stage, because samples and Audio comes from the Kronos
4. Don't need VST anymore (Laptop again) --> Any sound should be possible with the Kronos, if not, I take the real sound as a sample.
5. Don't need my external soundmodul anymore on stage
6. Miles of cables dissapear from the stage: Just three audiocables will remain (Click for drummer, two mains), No USB Cables anymore

That means, I can go to a gig with one board, one stand, three cables and some foot-controller, that's it....I think if I sell the equipment which I don't need anymore, I will have the 3000 Euro...

I think everybody here will have reasons like this. So please do not assume emotional mindset. esspecially when writing in the Kronos Group...
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasoning for getting the Kronos is all down to lack of space - My "studio" is a small box room just over 6ft square!

As you can see from my sig, I have to cram an awful lot of stuff in there, but I can only power up and access two keyboards at any one time.

From what I can gather (reading the manuals etc.) the Kronos will happlily replace My Fantom X6, Alesis Ion and my (t)rusty old Yamaha, making more room to manoeuvre.

As far as I can tell, the Kronos is a great choice for me, there's a big difference between wanting and needing something, and I always purchase gear following that ethic... except for the awful Roland Gaia I got last week Laughing
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my motivation for buying a Kronos are the synth sound engines AL-1, MOD-7, MS-20 (and to a lesser extent the polysix) for the tweekability and sounds they can make - I also think STR-1 will be excellent (good review on this in Sound on Sound about 3 years ago).

The other engines are a bonus but apart from the pianos will get used less. I am also interested in Karma.

So on the whole I think - compared to other workstations currently out there - the Kronos has so much potential that (for me) I would feel that I would be wasting my money on the likes of a Roland or Yamaha. I will be keeping my Juno-G because it makes some nice noises and I find it simple to programme. I dont use its sequencer much (prefer to use Sonar) but the audio recording is pretty useful.

I am looking to the Kronos as a tool to learn, play and make new sounds on for the next 10 years as a home user. Maybe for gigging and playing live I would choose something else.
techman09

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Cool beans.. Reply with quote

Yea I also use Omnisphere, Komplete 7, Ivory and IK Multimedia stuff as well > to the gentleman that made note of my keyboard!! But like I said, Kronos looks like a great product, but did not "hook" me just like the oasys didn't.
Laste7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--> Maybe for gigging and playing live I would choose something else.

@RKfan: Believe me, no, you won't...Smile
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Thou doth protest too much, methinks. Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Hanon_CTS wrote:
What does Kronos have that I don't already?

Play one. Smile

That's taken nicely out of context.

I didn't say that I wasn't ever going to buy a Kronos. I'm just going to wait until I've gotten the most from my M3. Then, as I have done since the Trinity to Triton transition, wait until people are selling off their used previous model for the new "Latest, and Greatest".

Sure, I got a used Triton Classic when everyone else was buying the Extreme version.
I'm still watching the prices on the used Oasys, just waiting for the day that it dips into the $3K range.

I'll probably get the Kronos about 3 years later than some, but look at all of the tips, tricks, and patches that'll be available for it by then.

Calm down forumites! The surest way to reveal doubts about your attitudes and purchase habits is to get overly defensive about it.

Cheers, Hanon
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as I am concerned it is my money to spend as I feel fit (with wife's consent Wink ). So, I WANT it, I can afford it. That is all that matters.

I could wait until it is available for less. However, who knows what tomorrow will bring - I might not be around then!
techman09

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Wife's consent..... Reply with quote

Wife's consent.....
Oh man this is the realm I will be entering into in about two months.... somebody pray for me, lol...
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife's consent..... Reply with quote

techman09 wrote:
Wife's consent.....
Oh man this is the realm I will be entering into in about two months.... somebody pray for me, lol...
Without making it too obvious, now is the time to treat her as though she was the only woman on earth and spoil her Wink
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are confusing sound palette with workstation...if you mean the most complete in one box array of sound engines you are correct, but as a workstation the Kronos is still limited ......even the M3 has a better sequencer And 16 midi tracks is so 1990's

operaman wrote:
As to a workstation comparison, there is no comparison. If someone were looking for a new workstation today the Kronos obliterates any and all competition at this price point both in feature and sound quality. It is simply unequaled.

Yamaha and Roland got a lot of catching up to do...

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: